Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most heads-up racing is door slammers, but other than TF or TAD are there any series or groups that run dragsters or even altereds in a heads-up format? Just curious, seems cheaper to get into one of these than a door car.

·
T/S 368E
27,696 Posts

Are you trying to race cheap only, or are you confident you are a better engine builder, tuner than others,
but can't afford a true heads up class??

I don't recall anything like you are looking for around here.

The closest would probably be an index series/class?? Like a super class or index series, those we have a few of.

Racing cheap, relatively speaking, can be done, especially with a dragster.

·
time to go racing yet ?
31,942 Posts
best you could probably do these days is get with the local track and see if there is enough interest in a quick 8 format for guys who have that interest maybe 1 time a month or something.

·
T/S 368E
27,696 Posts

I'm not a track manager, but I don't see that ever happening??
Where will you find a dozen guys that want to build a class specific dragster for one tracks 4-5 race series.

Even if you find a dozen guys to do that, who's going to watch a class like that???
I know I would never run up to watch some dragster class that's head's up unless they are quick as frick!!!
Big ass blowers or 4 stages of N2O, which is definitely not affordable racing!!!

Rules will eliminate the car counts.
Of course any cost cutting rules would not stop them from running S/P the other W/E's that series is off.
I honestly don't see a market for a rule heavy dragster???

Good luck, race safe!!

·
Registered
444 Posts
There is a group that runs in the southeast know as the open outlaw group, you can maybe check them out. I know they have a Facebook page, looks like a fun group. If your into funny cars and stuff they run the funny car chaos down around Texas area.

·
T/S 368E
27,696 Posts

Is that the index F/C class?? I saw a class like that before on a 7.00 or 7.50 index.
Very reasonable class once you get the car because there's very little breakage running that soft.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
There is a group that runs in the southeast know as the open outlaw group, you can maybe check them out. I know they have a Facebook page, looks like a fun group. If your into funny cars and stuff they run the funny car chaos down around Texas area.
They ran at Bradenton.....class was eliminated....last race I went to they had five cars....

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Head up and cheap don't go together regardless what you are racing. Easy to dump $60k and probably more into a heads up anything engine alone. The key to making those classes work is finding a limiting factor that most can live with. I thought there was once an outlaw series in Indy that required 10.5" tire. It sounded fun but as you can imagine, the life is probably limited. Once everyone finds out who has the biggest johnson, and is willing to throw the most money at his combo, there is little reason to keep racing to prove it time after time.

I took a swing at my local track trying to get them to bite on a series just like that. They are trying to get their numbers looking good, and didn't think that would produce positive revenue in quick time. So no go. Plus, it only dilutes their current customers. The folks who would race it are the folks already racing there most likely. So they just move things around and have to accommodate another class and enforce rules for it.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts

Is that the index F/C class?? I saw a class like that before on a 7.00 or 7.50 index.
Very reasonable class once you get the car because there's very little breakage running that soft.

There is a class like that but funny car chaos is heads up no index. As far as I know the only rule is your car has to be a funny car.

·
Registered
21,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure I worded the question correctly - I know heads up racing is expensive no matter what. Guess I was just thinking out loud; if you can build different engine combos and put them in door cars and go heads up racing, why not put them in dragsters and go heads up racing? My mention of cost was just an observation that the up-front cost of a dragster is less than a door car.

·
T/S 368E
27,696 Posts
Not sure I worded the question correctly - I know heads up racing is expensive no matter what. Guess I was just thinking out loud; if you can build different engine combos and put them in door cars and go heads up racing, why not put them in dragsters and go heads up racing? My mention of cost was just an observation that the up-front cost of a dragster is less than a door car.

That's because there are a zillion door cars and we all have 1000's of vehicles per level to draw from.
You don't have that with dragsters, that's why they make index or S/P classes so they can race semi affordable.

There are a million mustangs, so it's much easier to attract guys to fit a class.
Stock suspension, N/A, power adder etc etc.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
You can buy some pretty nice 9 second rolling door cars for $15K, add your own engine and trans, and go race Super Pro fairly cheap. That's about all that is left economically for local race tracks. JMO.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
"Door car" is pretty generic. Comparing cost of a mustang with a roll cage and 4 link with a full boogie Haas or Bickle or Rick Jones is a wide comparison. The later being much more expensive than a dragster. The former being much cheaper.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I'll stick to bracket racing...Heads up might be ok, but it ends up being a "who's got the most money" contest...Then that's where the rules start, then more money to race to find a way to beat the rules, then more rules, then more money....never ending cycle.. If you don't have a bank account to throw away, heads up racing is nothing more than money pit from hell. Just to be competitive it takes a lot. Sure, there are guys doing it on the cheap and hanging, but even their best efforts will get stomped by money.

Bracket racing you can spend a ton of cash or not....doesn't really matter. The best equipment doesn't always win the race, the best driver does.....pick your class, your car, get it consistent, and have fun.....that's my thoughts anyway...

·
time to go racing yet ?
31,942 Posts
x2 on bracket racing. i used to enjoy it alot. with enough money anyone can go fast and win races.... takes alot more to have a car that can repeat numbers all day long or the knowledge to dial the car to win

there is a small group of guys in the jersey/virgnia/new york area that races FED's eastcoastfuelers.com

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I agree brackets is much more cost effective. You can win a race in a 6.50 car in a field of dragsters. Plus it gives the guy or young kid who doesn't have alot of money to come in and have the best time of their life. And that's what it's all about ultimately.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
We built my buddy a t bucket style altered years back in his garage for about $3500 total. Back when the IHRA ran the super and quick classes. He ran the 9.90 class and won some races and had a blast. It didn't cost much to make a 1600 lb sbc altered run 9.90's. If I ever get back racing that is the route I will take.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I think index will catch on more at some point. Gives that heads up feel but allows you to pick a class (or et) to fit within your budget.

there’s a group around here that’s called Midwest wild bunch thatpit dragsters and door cars together and have to run faster than a 7.99 I think it is ?? But I don’t remember I’d they’re heads up or a bracket. Been a while since I’ve watched them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts