Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The zoomies headers are prone to cracking at the flange weld, it's a fact... Does somebody ever tried to tig braze it with silicon bronze instead of usual filler material ? Silicon bronze is known to be more forgiving in term of flexibility.
Any suggestion ?

Eric

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes. That is how our headers are done. Zero cracks after 2 seasons and one side even took a hard lick with the wall and held up perfectly. I'll post some pics as soon as I can. We found that just migging them together at the tips worked better than straps across the ends. Also our crew chief (Roger Byers) made them.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I welded the flanges with silicon bronze (big fat beads) and have decent luck with no reinforcement. I have a step 3 inches downstream that cracks constantly and the ends are terrible so I just added 2- .090 straps.
The best lasting headers I've ever built were mild steel and completely silicon bronze with no welding anywhere. It was a Chevy so they had a lot of splices too.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts

A lot of the flanges are mild steel 1/4 or 5/16 thick i have seen them bend between the bolt holes in the tube area. That stresses the tubes and the cracks start.Many times the tube cracks not the welds . As a experiment i made these out of 1/2 thick and back cut them to 5/16. will see how they hold up they were welded with mild steel in and out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts