Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are some of you fabricators purchasing your custom header parts like head flanges, U/J bends, collectors, etc?

Looking for mild steel.

Also, what wall thickness tube is most commonly used? .065" or .049? I assume for race cars to save weight .049 is used?

I found SPD. Anyone else to consider?

For a set of bbc headers, what kinda cost should I budget for parts? Probably use a traditional collector, doubt I'd spend the money for the megaphone/merge deals due to lack of recources to dyno tune the combination.

thanks
Todd

·
Registered
861 Posts
SPD is popular for the bends. If you're looking for cheap pitstopusa.com sells some bends in boxes that are random centerlines and angles. You will probably want 16 gauge but I've heard of people using 18 gauge just fine. 16 gauge should be something like .065". Why don't you want to make them out of stainless? If you're just looking to rig something up then mild is the way to go but stainless tubing isn't all that expensive. You can find stainless 304 mandrel U bends in 2" for $18.50 a bend. Usually with under 5 bends you can make a header. Collectors I like going with the Megs ones because they don't swedge them and stretch the metal. They are formed from a solid piece of sheet metal and welded together. They sell you either the merge pieces or the stars to help you out as well.

http://www.coneeng.com/exhaust_system_kits.html

this is an actual pic of their kit with the little merge piece welded in

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb142/lt1pat/IMG_0244.jpg

Where are some of you fabricators purchasing your custom header parts like head flanges, U/J bends, collectors, etc?

Looking for mild steel.

Also, what wall thickness tube is most commonly used? .065" or .049? I assume for race cars to save weight .049 is used?

I found SPD. Anyone else to consider?

For a set of bbc headers, what kinda cost should I budget for parts? Probably use a traditional collector, doubt I'd spend the money for the megaphone/merge deals due to lack of recources to dyno tune the combination.

thanks
Todd

·
Registered
174 Posts
SPD has the qualitythe cnc flanges are the best, hooker or headman on the j- bends in mild. My history of building headers U- bends you can not get a tight enough radius in stock frame rail car. What combo are you taking about ,i'll be glad to give you some detailed info. if your a 1 st. time header builder. Thanks, Zar

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BBC in a G-body.

Currently running the Hookers, but are getting pretty banged up. May be totally changing engine combinations requiring a slightly larger header.

I've seen Lemons on a friends G-body and while they look nice, the collectors don't tuck as high in the car as I would want. I can't stand low hanging header collectors.

I've built several custom exhaust systems by cutting/pasting. I've just not done a set of headers yet.

I'd really like to keep all four tubes inside the frame if possible and use 4 individual tubes in a slip collector to make install/removal easier. I also need more clearance to the block than the Hookers currently have.

I may well be forced to go over the frame on the back two cylinders to get more block/pan clearance like I want.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I just bought a mess of J bends from these guys. Their prices are hard to beat. $10-$12 each for 2", 2 1/8", and 2 1/4". Their shipping was fast as well.

http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/

DING DING DING we have a winner on Bends up to 2 1/4 inch you cant beat their price and the quality is on par with what I get from Hooker and Cyclone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.