Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daily is a 2013 Mustang GT. Before I go any further I don't go to Cars and Coffee and haven't killed anyone leaving a parking lot.

Now I am looking to upgrade the performance a bit without going into the engine. I would like to toss a supercharger or do a turbo setup but I have a 1968 Camaro that is my baby so it gets any serious money. So I have decided the best route is small upgrades that won't cause any insane investments. I am thinking new intake, CAI, exhaust, and a tune. It came factory with a manual 6 speed and 3.73s so I don't think going to 4.10s would make that big of a difference. So I figure I will start with heades/exhaust.

So I am not as knowledgeable as I wish on headers. What do I want to buy? I see long tubes, shorty's,1 and 3/4, 1 and 7/8, polished, chromed, ceramic coated ...

I want something that gives performance gains, but will ot be a waste of money and need to be replaced and if it isn't adding anything over the stock manifolds then I don't want to waste money. So what do you guys suggest?

·
Former RJ instigator
41,591 Posts
Some big tube shorty's that bolt up to the factory exhaust would probably be the cheapest and easiest route.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some big tube shorty's that bolt up to the factory exhaust would probably be the cheapest and easiest route.
I was thinking of doing a full new exhaust all the way to the tips. It seems like shorty's are cheaper than long tubes, is there a big advantage of one over the other?

·
I.Y.H.R.F.24.7.365
11,461 Posts
I was thinking of doing a full new exhaust all the way to the tips. It seems like shorty's are cheaper than long tubes, is there a big advantage of one over the other?
you'll most likely gain more by cleaning out the carbon on the intake valves, and cyl.

advantage of long tubes over short, big time, if The long tubes are designed to make power, but they tend to suck to install.

Do you need to pass smog test?
Do the long tubes have the oem type convert placement or are they deleting a few.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you'll most likely gain more by cleaning out the carbon on the intake valves, and cyl.

advantage of long tubes over short, big time, if The long tubes are designed to make power, but they tend to suck to install.

Do you need to pass smog test?
Do the long tubes have the oem type convert placement or are they deleting a few.
Yeah we have inspections with a sniffer test so I have to stay legal. As for install I don't have the supplies to do it at home, I am just going to find a reputable shop to do it.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
How much power are you looking to make? I’ve modified many coyote cars, N/a, blown and turbo cars.

You have a potential 10 sec car. CJ intake or even just a Boss intake , Rev Auto, JLT, PMAS or FRPP cj cai, throttle body, 1 7/8 Lt’s and 3” exhaust. Throw some injectors in it and feed it corn and you have a car that will run door to door with a hellcat without a blower. Now if you want to remain more mild, do catted 1 7/8 lt’s, JLT/PMAS cai, and a good tune, AED, palm beach , or Lund and enjoy it. Also recommend an MGW shifter almost more than anything. They are the cats ass. Anything you want to know just fire away.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Also , don’t waste your time/money on anything less than an 1 7/8 SS long tube header for these cars, pain to install yes, but good gains are there. They come factory with a shorty header. Look into stainless power headers, they are priced fairly reasonably and are excellent quality.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
If you're in an inspection state, those long tubes are going to get you in trouble. As far as brands, SW, Kooks, ARH, and Dynatech seem to be popular.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Check out craigslist and see if anyone is selling a used supercharger kit for cheap. I see atleast 1 a month in Dallas come through for mustangs.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what is the difference between the shorty's and the LT? The LT gives better gains but won't pass a sniffer, but the shorty's will?

As for how much gains I want? I don't have a specific time or number, but I have never had an 11 second daily so that would be cool if I could do it without going broke.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Lots of great info in here. I’ve heard good things about stainless power headers for the cash. I wouldn’t waste my time with a shorty header as the stock ones are kind of a tubular shorty design. Lotta effort for little gain.

We use Dynatech Long tubes 9/10 times. Great quality and fitment. High flow catted X pipe to match and corsa exhaust.
Drop the k member for access. Way easier install.

As above. Our go to is boss302 intake or for all out the CJ one. Cj intake needs a different TB. I’d stick with a twin blade for a daily driver like a gt500 one or a vmp twin jet 67.

JLT or Pmas CAI. And then tune.

Popular internet tuning could be lund, vmp, Palm Beach dyno,

Boost is awesome on these cars. But not cheap by the time you option out a kit with all the needed accessories. But there’s no better way to make power on a coyote than forced induction.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lots of great info in here. I’ve heard good things about stainless power headers for the cash. I wouldn’t waste my time with a shorty header as the stock ones are kind of a tubular shorty design. Lotta effort for little gain.

We use Dynatech Long tubes 9/10 times. Great quality and fitment. High flow catted X pipe to match and corsa exhaust.
Drop the k member for access. Way easier install.

As above. Our go to is boss302 intake or for all out the CJ one. Cj intake needs a different TB. I’d stick with a twin blade for a daily driver like a gt500 one or a vmp twin jet 67.

JLT or Pmas CAI. And then tune.

Popular internet tuning could be lund, vmp, Palm Beach dyno,

Boost is awesome on these cars. But not cheap by the time you option out a kit with all the needed accessories. But there’s no better way to make power on a coyote than forced induction.
Good info thanks. Have you heard anyone say that going to the intake used on the stock 17+ GT's is actually better than the Boss?

·
Registered
26,931 Posts
It would be way cool to dyno your car, swap to headers and better exhaust, and than dyno it again at the same place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts