Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
496" BBC, F-2 15# boost, 7500rpm on E85. What would be the minimum header tube diameter? Would a set of 2" headers be okay?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi Steve I had 2 inch hooker super comp headers on the nova at 18 lbs and it worked ok,Lemons made a set of 2.5 inch and they definetly made more power at 23lbs of boost.They told me that on these boosted engines you cannot go to big.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Mine are 2.5 inch with 5 inch collector on a 540/F2.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, as much as I would like a set of zoomies, I doubt the local cops would let me drive it on the street like that! LOL

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Depending on what car its in, you can usually buy 'off the shelf' headers up to 2-1/4". Most aftermarket BBC heads need a 2-1/8" header just to clear the exhaust port and not block it. That's what I'd go with if it were me and price was an issue. If you want / need something custom built, like Lemons, Kooks, etc., then you might want to go a tad bigger but I'd ask the builder first. Its not like losing a little low end torque is a big deal. :)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have 2.5 inch with a 509 but more boost. If you are buying/building and plan on bigger in the future, I would go 2.25 minimum. Hell I had 2" on a 347 SBF and they worked well and was still an animal down low. Like 68 Bird said bigger the better and loss of down low torque isn't usually a problem on a blower car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't think on a supercharged motor that you can put to big on it (within reason) it doesn't use the scavenge effect that a NA motor does. But to small can hurt performance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have hooker super comp's 2in on my bbc 477 with 19lbs of boost seems fine I would like bigger but for a g body they were the cheapest. Everybody else was two times as much

1 - 13 of 13 Posts