Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m building a pair of mild steel 16ga thk 1 7/8”od fender well exit headers for my S10 race truck and I’ve gotten quotes from both jet hot and a local powder coat shop to have them apply their high temp powder coating to my headers and there’s a big difference in pricing. They quoted me over $300+ship for jet hot but my local shop only quoted me $125 to powder coat the pair. My biggest question is how durable is the high temp powder coat?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I believe there is a difference between normal powder coat and ceramic coating for heat resistance.

I am shipping my headers this week to QC Coatings for ceramic.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Nitro plate on mine, holds up great but will stain when hot if you get anything burned on them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’m building a pair of mild steel 16ga thk 1 7/8”od fender well exit headers for my S10 race truck and I’ve gotten quotes from both jet hot and a local powder coat shop to have them apply their high temp powder coating to my headers and there’s a big difference in pricing. They quoted me over $300+ship for jet hot but my local shop only quoted me $125 to powder coat the pair. My biggest question is how durable is the high temp powder coat?
To answer your question, high temp Powder Coating will NOT hold up to automotive exhaust temps very long. If it’s race ONLY, you may get by for a bit longer but generally it's a complete waste of time and money. You should kick your powder coater in the balls for even suggesting it, unless of course he's willing to offer you a money back guarantee when it crumbles away in your engine compartment a month from now and burn it off the headers so you can get it done the right way...... High temp powder is made for industrial use with limited temp exposure, i.e. BBQ parts, engine parts, etc NOT 750F - 1400F exhaust temps.

The other consideration is that high temp powder will offer ZERO thermal protection or performance gain in an application like that. Ceramics are offered in the options below. High temp powder is typically offered in a few black and a silver. Below is a Jet Hot header rated at 1600f after a dyno pull on a D-max diesel. How well do think a powder coated header will last?

·
Registered
967 Posts
QC Coatings are great! Here is a set they did 4 years ago. All we did was polish them when we pulled the engine. Mostly strip, very little street. N/A 347

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Believe it or not I blasted my Lemons headers and coated them myslf with VHT high temp paint made for headers. So far they have held up pretty good. I drive my car on the street some and they have yet to fade, chip, or peel. It does not look as good as the professional stuff but for something that only cost about 30 bucks I think it looks great.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I'm planning to get mine done by Nitroplate when I have the time, I've seen several sets after a few years, still look awesome.

·
Registered
161 Posts
After over 10 years the Jet-Hot coating on my Headers was starting to show some rust coming through. The Headers are off right now so I decided to contact Jet-Hot to inquire about their No Questions asked Lifetime Warranty. They truly stand behind their product all I have to do is ship the Headers to them and they'll take care of the rest. Needless to say I am impressed at their Customer Service after this length of time.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Jet Hot customer here as well. Used them on several sets and never had a problem. Even baked on oil will rub off with a little metal polish.

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Believe it or not I blasted my Lemons headers and coated them myslf with VHT high temp paint made for headers. So far they have held up pretty good. I drive my car on the street some and they have yet to fade, chip, or peel. It does not look as good as the professional stuff but for something that only cost about 30 bucks I think it looks great.
x2

Heat em up before you paint em with a torch until they are nice and warm, then coat them quickly...two seasons so far and no bubbling or peeling, just some chips on the bottom from street driving which I touched up without reheating the headers and all is still well

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,249 Posts
I've had several sets done by Jet-Hot, not using them anymore. Just had my stuff re-done in CT, will see how they work-out.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts