Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Toilets swirl because of the Coriolis effect, not because of any design feature. All drains do that automatically except those exactly on the equator.
Not so. Coriolis effect is a VERY weak force. A toilet designed to swirl in one direction is not going to be affected by this at all. The toilet thing is simply urban legend.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I read an article that a nascar team back in the 2000s basically said the same thing. All these fancy swirled idiotic headers that are "equal length" are junk. It said the straightest with the least amount of bends was the best .

What do you guys think
Actually, the longer the straights are in a tube, the tighter the bends will have to be at some point, so gradual, sweeping bend areas are better than long straights with tight bends.
Equal lengths aren't typically the way to go in most NA engines.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Because it contributes to an engine being "peaky"?
His explanation was that the twists, turns and bends required to make them equal length cost more power than being equal length provided.

See Warp's post above.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I got the idea that he prefers long, sweeping bends to achieve the desired length(s) and that the consideration of equal length or not was separate from the straights and bends necessary to achieve that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I thought the water in the toilet and drain swirled one direction in the northern hemisphere and the opposite on the other side of the equator, just like storm clouds swirl. Who knows anyhow i did a set and they worked really well, that motor made more power than it should have but I can't say it was the headers. They were not equal length but not thst far off. I also remember something about the total primary tube length. In a step header the first tube off the flange should be 6-8 inches.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I got the idea that he prefers long, sweeping bends to achieve the desired length(s) and that the consideration of equal length or not was separate from the straights and bends necessary to achieve that.
Correct!
Two seperate considerations.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Correct!
Two seperate considerations.
With it being difficult to fit the perfect shape in a street fox body would you care to guess at the hp difference between a perfect set of headers and a fairly good set of headers the same size at around the 800 hp level.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
With it being difficult to fit the perfect shape in a street fox body would you care to guess at the hp difference between a perfect set of headers and a fairly good set of headers the same size at around the 800 hp level.
Tough to say, but I imagine 5-25+, depending on how "fairly good" they were!
We see 1-3 between a perfect set, and a more perfecter set! Lol

·
Registered
684 Posts
That's a lot! I didn't expect it to be as high as 25+ hp. I wish it was easier to send pics, I'd like your opinion on the set I just got, they have nice bends but definitely have some questionable ones also, but they fit A3's in a fox so... lol

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Warp, what do you see and decern from excess psi in the exhaust system?
We go faster when we reduce psi in exhaust. I guess that would be back pressure.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I think it all goes to efficiency. A more efficient header design can reduce intake reversion and provide a stronger booster signal.

There is a lot more to getting there however. Combustion chamber design and cam events are part of the equation as well.

·
Super Moderator
35,255 Posts
Man.... I'm worn out on headers. I'd say the length, and the cam has to work together. The shorter the primaries the more picky it is about valve events.

Hate to admit that big tube dyno headers with minimal bends won't make more power than a proper header with many bends.... Ugh....

Not sure about the firing order. All my customers tend to do that as a criteria but I've never backed it up to the exact same header, with no firing order pattern.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have always wanted to sequence pulses into collectors so they go in a circle. It just makes more sense to me and my stuff always ran better than most anyone else. I can not say that it is better as in order to do a back to back they can not be the same header, ie, different lengths and bends for a different clocking header, so what would have been the point, eh? Not even the cup teams where willing to spend money on that test. I just always work to that. Now if the header got too "tied up" trying to get a rotating firing order into the collector, I would let that go, eh?

There is a reason why the best header for your engine does not come in a box from Summit or Jegs...;)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
There is a reason why the best header for your engine does not come in a box from Summit or Jegs...

Amen !

·
Registered
176 Posts
Calvin,

we have seen your thoughts on headers with few bends and therefore straighter, making them relatively short i.e. certainly not adding a bunch of bends and such to make achieve a certain length. At what point do you worry about not having enough length and the tradeoff from achieving the length.
So you get a length recommendation from burns of 28" if you need a bunch of bends 120-180* to get them from 20" to 28" (just random example) do you ever do it even though its going to hurt upstairs? i gather it depends how wide the power needs to be which comes down to the application?
or do you believe if you make it fast enough and with enough anti reversion the shorter can act close enough to a longer? i just see the F1 headers from >5 years ago and they are deliberately making them longer than what would produce the most upstairs.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I have always wanted to sequence pulses into collectors so they go in a circle. )
this maybe the dumbest question you ever get, forgive me,

does it matter if it's a clockwise or counter clockwise direction ?

41 - 60 of 86 Posts