Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goal with the car, which is a 1990 Fox Lx hatch has been to run in the 6’s with this current motor combo. Last time out I ran a 7.00 @ 96. I was learning the car, it was the first time out after switching an AOD for a built C4 with Transbrake. I went from 1900 rpm footbrake launches to 4800rpm transbrake launches, so the first 4-5 passes I was jumping the gun on shifting and concentrating on keeping the car straight.

The Combo:
10:1 327
AFR 185’s
Holley Systemax II
FTI cam .598/.598 lift [email protected] 223/225 (started off a street car)
1 3/4 full length headers 3” exhaust spin techs
Front suspension- Tubular K A-arms strange 10 ways in front w/12” 150lb springs
Rear suspension - Team Z rear springs, Baseline relocated uppers, baseline lowers, baseline anti-roll bar, strange 10 way shocks

Changes since the last time out
1. Swapped 28 spline axles and detroit tru trac diff for Strange spool and 35 spline axles. (14.9lbs unsprung weight savings)

2. Swapped 4.10 gears (crossing stripe @ 5600-5700) in favor of 4.30’s.

3. Swapped out Starbge 10 way rear shocks for Strange Double Adjustables.

4. Swapped summit racing front wheels and MT sportsmans for Bogart D-10’s w/MT front runners. (Saved 18.4lbs of unsprung weight)

What do you think the 33.3lbs of unsprung weight will be worth in 1/8th mile e.t.?

·
Registered
32 Posts
33 lbs. may be worth .05 at best, or you may not improve at all. If your best run was no spinning and hooked up 100% and you can run the same way again (and in similar weather / atmospheric conditions), you may see some improvement.
It's all those little things that you have to chip away at, that eventually combine to give positive results.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
33 lbs. may be worth .05 at best, or you may not improve at all. If your best run was no spinning and hooked up 100% and you can run the same way again (and in similar weather / atmospheric conditions), you may see some improvement.
It's all those little things that you have to chip away at, that eventually combine to give positive results.
I was getting a little tire spin on most of my passes that day. A little bounce up front after the wheels would briefly pop up. I tried to tighten it up, but e.t. And 60’ went down.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure how to post a video.
Weather has cooled off quite a bit since I was out there a month ago.

·
Registered
32 Posts
An X pipe makes more power than a H pipe does. It has a much smoother and easier transition into the opposite pipe than a H pipe with it's 90* degree turn.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An X pipe makes more power than a H pipe does. It has a much smoother and easier transition into the opposite pipe than a H pipe with it's 90* degree turn.
That is what he and I talked about. He convinced me that his results were real. I can fab it into an x pipe though. However, it may just move the power and and do nothing. Maybe you guys have me a new project.

·
Registered
35,122 Posts
Goal with the car, which is a 1990 Fox Lx hatch has been to run in the 6’s with this current motor combo. Last time out I ran a 7.00 @ 96. I was learning the car, it was the first time out after switching an AOD for a built C4 with Transbrake. I went from 1900 rpm footbrake launches to 4800rpm transbrake launches, so the first 4-5 passes I was jumping the gun on shifting and concentrating on keeping the car straight.

The Combo:
10:1 327
AFR 185’s
Holley Systemax II
FTI cam .598/.598 lift [email protected] 223/225 (started off a street car)
1 3/4 full length headers 3” exhaust spin techs
Front suspension- Tubular K A-arms strange 10 ways in front w/12” 150lb springs
Rear suspension - Team Z rear springs, Baseline relocated uppers, baseline lowers, baseline anti-roll bar, strange 10 way shocks

Changes since the last time out
1. Swapped 28 spline axles and detroit tru trac diff for Strange spool and 35 spline axles. (14.9lbs unsprung weight savings)

2. Swapped 4.10 gears (crossing stripe @ 5600-5700) in favor of 4.30’s.

3. Swapped out Starbge 10 way rear shocks for Strange Double Adjustables.

4. Swapped summit racing front wheels and MT sportsmans for Bogart D-10’s w/MT front runners. (Saved 18.4lbs of unsprung weight)

What do you think the 33.3lbs of unsprung weight will be worth in 1/8th mile e.t.?
Way to go guy. I'm going to a test and tune as a spectator Saturday at Cecil County.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I was getting a little tire spin on most of my passes that day. A little bounce up front after the wheels would briefly pop up. I tried to tighten it up, but e.t. And 60’ went down.
When the car is spinning the tires you don't tighten it up. Loosen when spinning. tighten when the track is real good

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When the car is spinning the tires you don't tighten it up. Loosen when spinning. tighten when the track is real good
Thanks. Yeah, I tightened up the front to see if I could eliminate the bounce. Only tried it for one pass and put it back. I’m hoping with the double adjustables in the rear that I can get it to stay on the rear tire a little longer.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was bored today and the trailer was loaded, so I decided to go to street legal drags tonight. I knew if I was gonna hit a 6, it would have to be early before the imports fuck up the track.

first pass off the trailer felt like I nailed it!

1st pass - 7.001 @ 96.8 1.48 60’😑

2nd pass - Went one click softer on shock compression and ran 7.009 @ 96.6 1.49 60’

3rd pass - went one click firmer on compression bringing it back to original setting and one click tighter on rebound. Ran 7.009 @ 96.8 1.51 60’

4th pass - back to original shock settings, ran 7.07 @ 96.5 1.53 60’ track went to shit. Rice rockets and all wheel drive cars etc bringing water on the track.

I loaded up and went home. .001 shy of my goal. I will be back out there tomorrow morning to give it another try. Saturday’s are summit series. Better prep and no street cars. 🤞

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The plan today is Test n Tune and try for the 6. At some point they run a gambler run for the money. Definitely jumping in that. 👍

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Gamblers races are always fun. Been to some big $$$ deals where the gamblers race was more tough than the actual big $$ deal. Most racers will throw in some cash to get another decent payout.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts