Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 Camaro that is running 11.71 at 115 mph. I would like to get a little more out of the setup and was wondering what you guys think. The setup is...

355 10.5:1 compression flat top heads
Vortec heads
288hr cam, .520/.540 lift with 236/242 duration
1 5/8 in headers
edelbrock performer rpm intake
BIGS custom 750 carb
dual 2.5" exhaust with an x pipe
28x10.5 tire
Moser 9 inch with 4.11 gear
3200 lbs with me in the car
th350 trans with 9.5" 3500 stall converter
36* timing

I am running really good times for stock vortec heads and I am very pleased with the setup. Just looking to get a little more and came across a good deal on some afr 195 1054 heads that are 60cc. The 60 cc from 64 will bump the compression up a little bit which will help as well. But I was just wondering do you guys think these heads will be worth the swap and net a noticeable ET gain?

·
nightmare on any street..
5,033 Posts
Vortec heads can fly and can flow a ton if you know what you're doing.

Our shop has some of the fastest Vortec heads in the country on stocker. We have a 350ci vortec headed engine with a flat tappet cam and it runs 6.60's in bracket mode at 3320lb class weight.

**edit**

I would maybe look into a converter over a set of heads. A good converter will usally wake a car up pretty good.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree 100%. I had many people not believing my car would break 12's initially let alone be a consistent 11.70 car with vortec heads. These heads are definitely underestimated on power. Only complaint I have is that I have spent so much money in places else where besides the engine to get these heads to perform at this level, that with a little more powerful engine I could probably have been running the same times I am now with a little more luxury in the vehicle. Basically I was thinking of swapping to an afr 195 head because I want a little more room to grow in the future as well. The 288hr is about the biggest cam I can throw at a set of vortec heads that will actually net a good ET. I am shifting at 6800 as well so the engine runs through the rpm's well. I was basically just wondering if the afr 195 heads will net a gain with just a head swap alone, and then how much more potential they have in the future with cam swap, rocker ratio change, etc. Thanks for the response, you are one of the first people I have heard of running that fast with vortec heads, very cool.

·
5,033 Posts
I agree 100%. I had many people not believing my car would break 12's initially let alone be a consistent 11.70 car with vortec heads. These heads are definitely underestimated on power. Only complaint I have is that I have spent so much money in places else where besides the engine to get these heads to perform at this level, that with a little more powerful engine I could probably have been running the same times I am now with a little more luxury in the vehicle. Basically I was thinking of swapping to an afr 195 head because I want a little more room to grow in the future as well. The 288hr is about the biggest cam I can throw at a set of vortec heads that will actually net a good ET. I am shifting at 6800 as well so the engine runs through the rpm's well. I was basically just wondering if the afr 195 heads will net a gain with just a head swap alone, and then how much more potential they have in the future with cam swap, rocker ratio change, etc. Thanks for the response, you are one of the first people I have heard of running that fast with vortec heads, very cool.

I have a vortec head on my new engine and its been 6.20's and 9.90-10.00 and that's at 3370 lbs class weight, but they flow A LOT. We are big into Stock and Super Stock and the GM vortec had can fly if you know what you're doing. We've been in the high 40's with them pretty easy.

**edit**
When I say "we" I'm referring to my uncle, who I've driven/drive for. My personal car has the virtecha and it will get down. Check out www.sloanengines.com for some info on heads and how fast some of his customers are!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Care to share anymore on what's done to these heads and what the cam specs are you are running in these engines? Or is it a trade secret?;)

·
5,033 Posts
Care to share anymore on what's done to these heads and what the cam specs are you are running in these engines? Or is it a trade secret?;)
lol, nothing personal but we have a lot of time and knowledge in these heads. Lets just say they flow over .300cfm and we use a mild FT cam. We don't turn them that hard either.

If you want more info I can get you in touch with him. He is one of the most reputable engines builders in IHRA. 2 of his engines in Stock Eliminator were 2nd and 3rd in the world this last weekend at Memphis. The guy who got runner up in stock has a vortech headed 350ci that runs 10.50's with ease. The other was 3rd in the country and runs in the 30's.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Maybe look at where your vortec head flow starts dropping off. I think they are around .510 is when they start to drop off but are almost the same as some sets of AFR's up to that point.

Personally if your buzzing that thing up to 6800 I think the AFR heads would help you out. Plus going down on CC on the aluminum will retain the heat in the chamber also....That's my take on it.

I like vortec heads, that's impressive times also I must say.

I built a mild 383 9.1 vortec heads and Chinese intake and a Elgin cam with .510 lift and its running mid 12's in a Full weight Thrid gen with subs and bar, no brake just a 3500 and 3.73's.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am foot braking this as well. A lot of people claim that vortec heads do not flow well stock over .500 lift. I went with a .520/.540 cam and am running 115 mph so I am a little confused on the flow capabilities of the vortec heads I have in my specific engine. Also, I am no stock eliminator racer either, lol. I am a Sunday bracket racer racing in sportsman class right now, and I enjoy every minute of it. But i'm 99% sure the afr heads flow better than my vortec's and I am hoping that would net me some better et's. I would like to be able to push low 11's and I don't think with the vortec heads I have on there now that that goal will be attainable.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
I have a vortec head on my new engine and its been 6.20's and 9.90-10.00 and that's at 3370 lbs class weight, but they flow A LOT. We are big into Stock and Super Stock and the GM vortec had can fly if you know what you're doing. We've been in the high 40's with them pretty easy.

**edit**
When I say "we" I'm referring to my uncle, who I've driven/drive for. My personal car has the virtecha and it will get down. Check out www.sloanengines.com for some info on heads and how fast some of his customers are!
Are you guys using stock production castings, or GMPP castings? Either way, that's very impressive!! I've always loved stock eliminator, the engines are the most impressive around in my opinion.

·
Rippin' Gears!
2,795 Posts
More head + more cam + more converter = quicker e.t. One leads to another! It's how we have fun!

·
Former RJ instigator
42,523 Posts
Go with the AFR's, they are better heads and they are lighter to boot, you won't be disappointed I think, especially if you getting them for a charm.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I had afr 210 #1024 on a 357 3.5 stroke 645 630 solid roller on gas it ran 10.46 in a 62 nova 8.5 tire stock suspension. ran 1038 on motor with alky and ran 6.04 in the 1/8 with a 150 shot.9.74 with 100 shot.

·
5,033 Posts
Are you guys using stock production castings, or GMPP castings? Either way, that's very impressive!! I've always loved stock eliminator, the engines are the most impressive around in my opinion.
Stock castings from the junkyards. We can run the GM head but we have to carry additional weight (if you run an aftermarket GM head your HP is higher therefore you have to weigh more.)

We have proved if all year long that we have the fastest C/F/G crate motor cars on the east coast. We had 1 of our F/CM Camaro's go 1.20 under in bracket mode (75lbs over weight, 6qts I heavy oil, exc.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone know what afr 195 #1054 heads flow? I keep finding their new ones when I search which is the 1045 and they flow 283 cfm stock it looks like.

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
I think you find AFR's port shape and cross section is as much the reason why everyone wants to compare what they have to the AFR's but don't have.And wet flow tests are much more closer to the real way heads flow than just a bench dry air bulk flow tests.Some,CFM results are not relent.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here you go...

60 ft: 1.563
330 ft: 4.7223
1/8 et: 7.4456
1/8 mph: 92.05
1000' et: 9.7564
1000' mph: 105.34
1/4 et: 11.71
1/4 mph: 115.07 mph

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Looks like it 60's good but starts to fall off after that.

FWIW...my combo is fairly similar to yours except I have some older 215 dart iron eagles, and a super small lunati hyd ft cam. Have you tried moving your shift points around (lower) or does it seem to run best shifting up that high?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts