Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats a JKM 600 flowbench with Audie Flo Pro worth, and are they any good? thanks for any input

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
How used and how well taken care of is it? How old?
I used to see them for $2000-3500 used some time ago. But with todays digital benches and TractorSports forum, I would just build one.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can a homebuilt one be made to use all the fancy gadgets?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the company has a homebuilt one for sale as well

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are there any sites that show a parts list or maybe dvds? step by step? lol i need a dummies how to book, ive always ported heads and took them to a buddy who flowed them, i want to become better now, and feel i need a bench, i could be wrong though

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Build your own you will be way happier than the ones you can buy. The one I built used all fancy electronics. I now have a new one but the homeade one could do all that this one could do.

As a tip check to make sure you have enough breakers left in your electrical box were you are going to put the bench because it will eat power.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Build your own you will be way happier than the ones you can buy. The one I built used all fancy electronics. I now have a new one but the homeade one could do all that this one could do.

As a tip check to make sure you have enough breakers left in your electrical box were you are going to put the bench because it will eat power.
^^^^^^^^^True that^^^^^^^^^^^^

Amp load is or can be extreme.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Really easy with the available electronics. The most expensive part is the Vac motors and the large quanity you will need depending on the amount of air it needs to move. If you can find a used industrial blower that is the ticket. Couple it with a freq drive and it will be very versatile. I have Audies Flow quick. It had a major design flaw in it but once found it is really accurate as verified by the pass around plates.
PTS has a nice box as does Flow performance and performance trends.
You can do a Pitot or an Orfice. Thats the other major decision.
One peice of advice. Make it strong.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I forgot to mention I have 11 120volt vac motors from lighthouse that I used for my last bench for sale make an offer.

The way I did my old bench was each motor had its own switch, all but three of the motors had one way valve so if the motor was not on the air couldn't be pulled past it. I would kick on three motors to start a flow test and if needed kick on another one. The most I ever had to kick on to get 28inches was six motors and that head was near 500cfm head. I only ever kicked on all motors twice. The first time it imploded the box that held the motors. (the second box was built much stronger.) The second time was for research. I had bleed valves to adjust pressure. I know a lot of people use a reostat to adjust pressure but this was cheaper and worked. I never burned up any of those motors nor do I think I would. Compare this to the new commerical bench that has 10 motors on full blast the instant you turn it on everytime. My bench did not use near the electricitiy of this new one and the new one has already burned up two motors.

If I was into woodwork I would build flowbenches to sell. I have seen Chad's bench that is great design.

It is kinda of funny you can buy a shortblock or long block kit you can put together but as far as I know no one sells a kit with all the pieces you need to build your own flowbench. Many have plans though.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the cabinet itself is the easy part, im not up too speed on all the technicals and how the systems set up, like the multiple motors, didnt know that, and i would think, itd be more effecient to have a switch on each motor to save juice

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whats the difference in pitot or orifice? pros and cons of either or?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Orfice uses a fixed diameter hole which air goes through. As the air goes through there will be a different pressure on one sid than the other which determines air flow through orfice.
A Pitot tube uses a length of pipe with a pitot tube in it. It basically measures the speed of the air through the pipe which then allows you to calculate cfm. The negative with the Pitot is the pipe can be a restriction as it's size determines the flow range. I have a 3 inch pipe and it takes more than 6 motors to pull 28 inches at 300 cfm.

If I did not already have this setup I would do an orfice style bench.

The guys at the flowbench forum are alot of help. You have to join to see the whole site I think.

http://performancetrends.com/ez_flow_system.htm

That is the link to Performance trends EZ flow. They have great software and the box can be used on any bench. It also places the orfice in a pipe so that do not have to deal with making an air tite cabeinent. It costs more than Flow performance and PTS.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes ive become a member there, i work 72 hours a week so i havent had much time to sit down and read or ask many questions on there, so i get the cabinet....atleast 6 motors, independantly controlled....all 6 plumbed into the bottom of the orifice? does the digital setup still use the incline and upright manometer or just the upright? i appreciate all your guys help

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and thanks bad that link explains a lot i didnt know

·
Registered
753 Posts
No you will not need manometers. The biggest design hurdle is the airbox that supplies the air. It has to be able to be switched from vac to pressure. Think of the bench in 3 parts. The air supply, flow meter, and cylinder head mounting adapter. You just need to connect the 3 of them. There really is no need to switch the motors independently unless you test really small stuff. If you want to test at higher depressions you will need more than 6 motors. You can have a bleed off valve in the box to lower the depression while testing so that you just leave all motors running. The Audie box is nice because when you hit the button to record the reading you can hold the button down for several seconds and it averages the reading. Not sure if the others are that way. It also auto corrects to 28 inches or reads in actual testing depression if you want. If you want to go the most economical route just buy everything PTS. It is very accurate from all of the feedback I have read. It takes minutes to flow a port with the computerized benches. Really fast.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
is that what the slide plate that gets flopped around is for?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts