Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice on heads for my current combination,434sbc,13.5-1,m-town220,625 gross lift,1.6 harlands,super victor 4500,1050 dominator.I know the heads aren't the hot ticket but I had them when I built it,but now I'm finding I'm running out of steam at 7,000.It's in a 68 camaro glide, brake,4.30 gears,29 inch slicks.Best its ran is 10.74 at 126.Timing was at 35 bumped up to 40 now didn't chage mph at all.My next step is heads and switching to alcahol.Any advice would greatly be apreciated.Thanks in advace.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Hell...you could go 18*,15*,canted valve, splayed valve.......How deep are your pockets????????????

What is the intended use?????

Rules to follow???????

Nos???????

Need more info.........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No rules to follow dont want to change degree yet just want the motor to wind the way I know it should,gasping for air at 7000 is pathetic.I have few other changes I need to do like gears but I dont want do that if the motor wont turn more r's

·
Registered
42 Posts
your probably going to see the biggest power gains by going with something like a canted valve or 15 degree setup
but if you dont want to do that and want to stay with a 23 degreee your only going to get so much out of the combination
maybe a set of well worked AFR heads or Darts will work a little better but your going to spend a decent amount of money on them and I think the money would be better spent going with a different style of head

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see the point in what your saying and i do agree,but thats my plans for winter,right now i can buy a set of supposedly 13 degree heads from a Kriner late model motor,but all this means no more racing this year if i do that now.I guess maybe i should hold of and screw the motor together i really want.I was looking for a weekend fix,you know,heads,gaskets maybe different pushrods,something quick .

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
no offense,but the car seems to be down on power only running 10.70s with that combo at your altitude and with that many cubes etc. we run 10.60s up in denver at over 8000ft density alt this time of year with a lower compression 380" in deal
what does the car weigh, 60 ft,converter stall, type, etc

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
7000rpm. does it hit 7000 like a brik wall and just fall off like a slug ? I would suspect some valvetrain issue if so.

I'm looking for some advice on heads for my current combination,434sbc,13.5-1,m-town220,625 gross lift,1.6 harlands,super victor 4500,1050 dominator.I know the heads aren't the hot ticket but I had them when I built it,but now I'm finding I'm running out of steam at 7,000.It's in a 68 camaro glide, brake,4.30 gears,29 inch slicks.Best its ran is 10.74 at 126.Timing was at 35 bumped up to 40 now didn't chage mph at all.My next step is heads and switching to alcahol.Any advice would greatly be apreciated.Thanks in advace.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a 434 I am running the dart cnc 227 out of the box in a 3450lbs car I have been a best et of 10.05 @ 133.75 on motor with pump gas.I have also done some reading and it seems the bowtie intake and the world products intake are the better choice but a super victor is right on there heels but will need a little work as do the others.

·
Addicted To Nitrous!
3,372 Posts
I have a nice set of Dart 227 cnc heads for sale if interested.
They were on a 434 and rpm was no problem, 8500-8800 every pass, but they did have 700hp of nos pursuading them.;)

·
Registered
955 Posts
no offense,but the car seems to be down on power only running 10.70s
x2 it's way down on power!

Something ain't right!

Save your $ and FIX what you have!

Got a All Pro 220cc headed 400 topped with a 800cfm carb, backed by a glide, 10" converter and 4.56 gear in a 3100 lb. '69 Camaro that we slow up to run 10.0's @ 132 all season long and has run 9.79 @136 late last season!

It will be at Maple Grove September 25-27 for the Division 1 Bracket Finals and October 4-5 for the $5K and $10K footbrake races.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cam specs duration at .050 I255 E263 lobe sep. 106 gross lift .625 both cam degreed at 103 atdc. The guy that mentioned the valve train issue might be on to something I didnt even think about. I'm thinking some new locks and retainers might help alot.I bought these heads at a estate sale and have no idea about any of those parts.Anybody think that would help.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Cam specs duration at .050 I255 E263 lobe sep. 106 gross lift .625 both cam degreed at 103 atdc. The guy that mentioned the valve train issue might be on to something I didnt even think about. I'm thinking some new locks and retainers might help alot.I bought these heads at a estate sale and have no idea about any of those parts.Anybody think that would help.
Sorry,but that cam can't be helping either. Your lucky its getting to 7000

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey I'm open to sugestions thats why I'm hear,I know the heads are a problem but if i can get away with a cam change and see a noticable improvement I'm all for it.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Yea I'd say that's as far as that cam is gunna pull...

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Hey I'm open to sugestions thats why I'm hear,I know the heads are a problem but if i can get away with a cam change and see a noticable improvement I'm all for it.
Problem is you can't just stick another cam in it. The springs have to match, need to have clearance at the guide for more lift, valve to piston clearance will soon be an issue which could mean fly cutting pistons & re-balancing. You'll need to get the right length pushrods by way of checking geometry. But you also need to keep in mind those heads may not have a whole lot more in em so you could be putting out lots of money for not much HP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats why I asked the head advice question in the first place,what would be the best 23degree combination heads and cam on this bottom end,I know there is limits to it but it should run better than this.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Sorry,but that cam can't be helping either. Your lucky its getting to 7000
With the cam your running you'd see a good improvement with the AFR 210 comp head but good luck finding them in a hurry. If you go with a bigger can the 227 dart with some work done or AFR 227 would do well for 23 degree heads. But the AFR's require some different valve train parts like special girdles and offset rockers to hold up well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts