Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here done this? Seems like an easy way to make an old laptop just as fast as anything brand new. I am going to do it to an old sony vaio I have that's painfully slow due to age.

·
Registered
27,652 Posts
I don't know about the swap but I bought an SSD laptop last year and it's stupid fast.
Boot time is lass than 10 seconds.
My all-in-one has better everything else but it's way slower.
I'd go for it.

Now you have me thinking about changing on my slow machine... :cool:

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about the swap but I bought an SSD laptop last year and it's stupid fast.
Boot time is lass than 10 seconds.
My all-in-one has better everything else but it's way slower.
I'd go for it.

Now you have me thinking about changing on my slow machine... :cool:

Hell yeah and SSD's are cheap! I am going to clean up the fan, R&R the thermal paste as well to keep it cool and quiet it down. Fan on the thing is as loud as a vacuum cleaner supposedly because of dust and dried out thermal paste. Probably add some ram as well. All in it'll be peanuts compared to a new laptop and just as fast.

·
Registered
27,652 Posts
Hell yeah and SSD's are cheap! I am going to clean up the fan, R&R the thermal paste as well to keep it cool and quiet it down. Fan on the thing is as loud as a vacuum cleaner supposedly because of dust and dried out thermal paste. Probably add some ram as well. All in it'll be peanuts compared to a new laptop and just as fast.
Sweet, I'll look into that stuff too. :cool:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
an SSD doesnt make the laptop more powerful just makes downloaded programs faster..will it make internet and videos load faster..no

will the laptop turn on faster, yes

·
Registered
18,724 Posts
an SSD doesnt make the laptop more powerful just makes downloaded programs faster..will it make internet and videos load faster..no

will the laptop turn on faster, yes
This - just makes reading the hard drive faster and that's not the bottleneck for most situations.

·
Registered
583 Posts
This - just makes reading the hard drive faster and that's not the bottleneck for most situations.
I don't think you fully understand how badly an old laptop HDD effects performance.

I have ssd drives in every computer I have, except for my wife's personal aio.

The biggest pos I have is my OLD laptop, it's a pentium (absolutely budget model, it was $350) something or other circa 2012. It's so old I don't even remember most of its specs, pretty sure it's a dual core 1.6 GHz. 4GB ram.

The wife's aio is a mid level i5, IIRC it's a i5-35xx, 8GB ram, and a laptop HDD.

My old super budget laptop with an ssd is far and away the better computer to use. It's all the ssd. It's got a 512GB 840 Pro in it. Cpu wise it's probably got about 1/8th the computing power of my wife's aio.

I HATE turning on the wife's computer. It's nearly unusable in comparison. An excersice in frustration waiting for things to happen.

So no, a ssd won't speed up anything actually cpu bound, but it will completely change your use experience. Imo the vast majority of normal users are not cpu bound, they're HDD bound.

Bottom line is put an ssd in it. Period. Ssd everything. Especially now that you can get 512GB - 1TB drives for what I used to pay for 64GB's!

·
Registered
21,087 Posts

Yes, it is--the bottleneck. I run Thinkpad 420/520 series, this one has an "i5" processor, and I've forgotten how much ram, 6gb I think. No other changes than an SSD spend two of the 520's up very much noticeably. These girls have a "swap bay." In that lives a mechanical drive for storage.....photos, etc. Most of the time that drive is idle

·
Registered
18,724 Posts
Maybe the SSDs are compensating for limited memory? I put SSDs in my shop PCs (5 machines, 3 are CAD & CAM) hoping for a speed increase and didn't see shit. I still like them, hoping they are longer lived than HDs if just used for the C drive to reduce write ops, keeping the data on regular HDDs. Those machines all have 40+GB of memory so are never memory starved.

Now my home laptop is a cheap POS ASUS from Bestbuy. It came with 6GB of memory and W8 and seemed OK if not great for simple stuff and Web browsing, but sometimes slowed down. Upgraded to W10 when it became available and it got real slow. I discovered that it was out of memory almost all the time just running windows and was spooling to the disk as virtual memory, even hung up frequently. I expanded to 12GB the max possible on this laptop and shazam it's a speed demon and only limited to the cable modem speed. Right now Task Manager says it's using 8.7 Gb of memory and I only have Thunderbird and Firefox open with a about 10 tabs in Firefox. It's possible the SSD is speeding up the virtual memory usage which is making them run faster. I get what you guys are saying about your results, I'm thinking there might be an even better solution IF you can put more memory in - or both SSD and memory would be better yet. I understand constantly writing to an SSD wears it out, so using it for virtual memory isn't the best idea.

XP ran ok usually with only 2 GB of memory, 4 Gb is you were a 'power user'. 7 and up just needs more memory than comes in most laptops and basic PCs.

Understand, I'm no PC wiz. I feel real stupid some days trying to keep my network at work running OK since my IT guy died.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Some of them come with software like Acronis so you can image your current disc drive over to the new solid state. Makes it a snap to do the swap as long as you can follow directions.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Windows 7 and up are memory hogs, if you don't have enough ram in them the use the hard drive as a swap file. That makes for a bottle neck with both how fast the drive can move data in and out of the drive itself and how fast the system can move data to and from the drive. Swapping a ssd for a platter hard drive removes the drive speed as the slow point and then it's all about how fast the motherboard can move data across the bus. SSDs can move data at about 6 gigs a second.
Adding ram keeps the system from using the drive as a swap as much but it still will use it, just not as much.
Cad programs are huge data AND cpu hogs but a lot of those systems are using network hard drives to store the massive files so your network can be the bottleneck too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
The drives are faster, but as others have mentioned there many other factors like processor, ram, startup programs, etc. Take a look at your task manager to see what is hogging your processing.

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
28,032 Posts
It takes a hard drive 10-15milliseconds just to find the data and the files are fragmented. An SSD seek time is in microseconds. The transfer rates are 500 times faster too.

An Intel core duo is unusable without an SSD anymore.

·
Idiot Savant
169,571 Posts
I built my server with 4 ghosted SSDs as a primary drive and 4 7200 rpm drives for storage.

Excel loads so fast you can't see the splash page.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
An SSD drive will not speed up the laptop only the Operating system to an extent, MEMORY IS the KEY to speed, also A little know secret is that Microsoft recommends you reinstall the OS about every 2 years that means formatting the HD then a fresh install. CASHE is also very Important.
Will an SSD drive make a difference sure because its a new hard drive and you just installed a fresh install of the Operating system. Maxing out the memory on a computer is the best thing you can do for anything.
An SSD Drive is not the a miracle worker, the biggest affect is the fresh install of the OS as updates load down and slow down the computer. Also like Apple Microsoft pushes out updates to slow down older operating systems to force you to buy the latest OS from them.
If you are able to take apart your laptop replace the fan and blow out the unit as heat is a killer.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
It takes a hard drive 10-15milliseconds just to find the data and the files are fragmented. An SSD seek time is in microseconds. The transfer rates are 500 times faster too.

An Intel core duo is unusable without an SSD anymore.

REALLY, Ever hear of defraging your system, the problem is that 90% of all computers were sold with a 5300 rpm hard drive with small onboard cashe, swap to a 7200 RPM drive with larger cashe and it will run much faster.
SSD drives are good but they still drop segments which decrease space as it is used block only have a certain amount of rewrite life unlike a platter drive which does not.

ALso the Operating system you run is the key, Home anything is junk, Anything less than Pro is just that less than and performs exactly that way.

·
Registered
14,449 Posts
I did it to a 4 yr old machine when th HD was going bad, made it like a new machine, it was a great upgrade.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I did the swap today, bought an SSD, thermal paste, stuff to clean off the old thermal paste and a new CD drive that was wrong and needs to go back. Thing was packed with dust, holy shit, surprised it even lived as long as it did. Cleaned the fan, cleaned off old thermal paste, added new, added the SSD, downloaded windows 10 from microsofts website and put it on a USB and installed it onto the Sony that way. It is night and day quicker starting and shutting down but the machine only has 4GB ram so I'll have to max that out as others suggested for the full affect.

Fun project and it's good to turn an old paperweight into a viable backup machine. Its an i7 from 2009!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts