Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not going out, just to look, but I have been watching some of the youtube videos of empty ammunition cases/shelves. They never seem to focus the camera enough to make out what is being left alone. It seems most anything that would be considered a home defense appropriate round is long gone. I did notice at least one video where there was plenty of .22lr left in that particular location. I also spotted some 30-06 and .308.

What trends have you noticed? I'm not in the market for any of it, but it might be interesting to see other folk's experiences. Take care. Tom Worthington

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
At my local Academy 10 mm in stock, some .357 Sig and several of the small box 20 rd defensive loads in 9 40 45 still there.
a little .22lr was left but oddly NO .22WMR left.

6.5 Creedmor .270, 22-250 and other "hunting" rounds still on the shelf.

But basically ALL cheap FMJ/range ammo in 9mm, .40 .45 .357/38spl .44 .223 7.62x39 .308 and all shotgun stuff in 12 and 20 ga was cleaned out.

Our AG in Texas just released an opinion that city /county govts. cannot mandate to close gun stores so they will be opening back up starting tomorrow, but will be following social distance and total occupancy rules.

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
I havent looked at ammo since Wallymart sold out lol. I have plenty of cheap ammo for range time, whenever I get back there. I have 2 clips/magazines (whichever you prefer I don't judge) of the good stuff for carry and home protection. Most people I know stocked up with the wallymart unloading

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I went looking in Omaha a couple days ago.
38/357, 10mm, 44 Magnum, 45 Colt were all available.

223 was really affected. 308 to some degree. 30-06 was fine. There was more 222 available than you could shake a stick at.

Birdshot was available. I didn't look for buckshot or slugs. I didn't look for rimfire either as I don't shoot it. I did see tons of 17 HMR though.

One thing this has reminded me of is important it is to have a variety of cartridges. I was thinking about consolidating to 9x19 & 223 for most everything. I'm not going to be doing that now.

No problem finding powder or primers (a couple of stores even had Varget & Retumbo). Almost all 224 & 355 bullets were gone.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I buy ammo in bulk and I dont buy it local because its all twice as expensive in the best of times. Its starting to show back up online at places like AIM surplus . Just picked up another 500 rounds of 9mm there today although at some point I have to think do I really NEED to have 10,000 rounds of 9mm? The gougers still have ammo but now is not the time to buy there.

·
Registered
14,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went looking in Omaha a couple days ago.
38/357, 10mm, 44 Magnum, 45 Colt were all available.

223 was really affected. 308 to some degree. 30-06 was fine. There was more 222 available than you could shake a stick at.

Birdshot was available. I didn't look for buckshot or slugs. I didn't look for rimfire either as I don't shoot it. I did see tons of 17 HMR though.

One thing this has reminded me of is important it is to have a variety of cartridges. I was thinking about consolidating to 9x19 & 223 for most everything. I'm not going to be doing that now.

No problem finding powder or primers (a couple of stores even had Varget & Retumbo). Almost all 224 & 355 bullets were gone.
I'm not sure consolidating isn't still a great idea. After this is over and the ammo prices drop through the floor, just stock up on those few calibers. This is no time to be hunting down what you need. In fact, it's really not a great time to be out and about at all. I am actually considering keeping up with a couple of cartridges I don't even have firearms for...but my neighbors do. Take care. Tom Worthington

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
I'm not going out, just to look, but I have been watching some of the youtube videos of empty ammunition cases/shelves. They never seem to focus the camera enough to make out what is being left alone. It seems most anything that would be considered a home defense appropriate round is long gone. I did notice at least one video where there was plenty of .22lr left in that particular location. I also spotted some 30-06 and .308.

What trends have you noticed? I'm not in the market for any of it, but it might be interesting to see other folk's experiences. Take care. Tom Worthington
I'm not in the market but a guy in Indy said all he saw left was 9x18. I would be if that 9x18 was at a good price as sometimes I find it hard to get. Fortunately so far I've been working a lot. That will probably change without much business coming in.

·
Meh Commander
13,062 Posts
I haven’t noticed because I had a lifetime supply stocked up three years ago
I have however noticed people are so fucking bored they talk about anything.
Personally I could care less what the unprepared are scouring shelf’s for ... fuck um

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
I just went into a Walmart. They had pretty much every kind of rifle and shotgun ammo except 223 and 566. They even had three brands of 16 gauge which is usually hard to find around here. I went looking for a consignment shop earlier but they were both already closed for the day. If they are going to offer premium prices I'll sell. If not then it won't bother me any. A couple of guys told me they had been offered some stupid money.

·
Registered
14,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have however noticed people are so fucking bored they talk about anything.
Personally I could care less what the unprepared are scouring shelf’s for ... fuck um
Well yeah. That's what I want to do. :) Take care. Tom Worthington

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Define lifetime.

When I shot IDPA years ago I went through 1k rounds weekly.

I'm 46. Probably going to live another 40. That would be by over 2 million rounds.

If you have that much I'd be major league impressed.

·
Meh Commander
13,062 Posts
Obviously I’m speaking from my point of view.
Someone like you could never have enough at that pace but if shit went sideways I’d have to assume your consumption would drastically drop yes?

If I used up much over 1000 rounds a year I’d be using a lot .. for me.
I might go out and shoot 200 rds 6 to 8 times a year.
I’m 60
If they banned ammo tomorrow I’d be good for a least 20 years.
I stock up because like everything its not getting cheaper but its something that doesn’t take up a lot of space or go bad ... zero reasons not to if you can afford it.
After I move out of CA soon I’ll resume picking away at buying more and I’ll probably be using more.

·
Long Live The King
102,145 Posts
Define lifetime.

When I shot IDPA years ago I went through 1k rounds weekly.

I'm 46. Probably going to live another 40. That would be by over 2 million rounds.
If you have that much I'd be major league impressed.
Who didn’t understand “Life time supply” for personal home defense in emergencies, vs competition shooting?

·
Long Live The King
102,145 Posts
I'm not sure consolidating isn't still a great idea. After this is over and the ammo prices drop through the floor, just stock up on those few calibers. This is no time to be hunting down what you need. In fact, it's really not a great time to be out and about at all. I am actually considering keeping up with a couple of cartridges I don't even have firearms for...but my neighbors do. Take care. Tom Worthington
There is no reason to not have an “Odd ball” or two in the mix. But if you’re going to stock up and have 4,000 rounds each of 22LR, 9mm and .223 them you don’t need to worry about it. Otherwise have a variety.

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
27,176 Posts
I've noticed, no matter where you go, there's .243 and 30-06 on the shelf.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,049 Posts
That's what I did years ago, the stuff doesn't go bad. I have some friends that try to keep their calibers to just a few, so they can buy in cases of 1000 for discounted rates. Well, I do that also, but I have a lot of different calibers just to make sure I am never stuck looking for something that may not be around, or cheap. Can't remember the last time I shot any 10mm or .40S&W, but I have plenty of it...........

1 - 20 of 47 Posts