Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comp eliminator rarely has full fields anymore, I was wondering if you all think TD-TS might have something to do with it? Both of those classes were primarily IHRA classes in the 80-90's! Now NHRA runs them at several Natl. and Div. events!

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
27,554 Posts
The cost has killed comp. NHRA doesn't pay shit for the class.

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts

They don't pay shit for ANY of the Sportsman classes (for the entry they charge)!...
I agree.............the cost killed Comp. Eliminator!...
T/D and T/S simply gave guys that were probably leaving the sport.............a place to compete!... :smt102

·
Registered
411 Posts
The cost is what is hurting Comp, but believe me there is more to it than that. National events are typically Fri - Sun. You need to be there by either Wed. or Thursday and then you sit around all weekend make a run here and a run there and then run 4 rounds of slim sometimes 5 on Sunday. It is tough to take off time from the activity that pays for Comp (work) to sit at a race and sometimes not even unload the car for a day of the weekend..

Money would be nice if they paid more, but do we really think NHRA is going to do that? All the car counts are down. The NHRA brand is not what it needs to be.. companies look at spending money and look at their bang for the buck... NHRA sometimes get TV coverage on a Sunday afternoon, but if the world ping pong finals are on that day NHRA races gets moved back... 40 + weekends a year NASCAR gets a 3-5 hour block of time on TV mostly on Sunday afternoon.

If you were a company where would you throw your money?

Hopefully Comp can weather the storm here and make it through. I ran Comp for 3-4 years, and it made me a better racer, driver, and it made my crew chief better as well as you need to find everything you can to be fast. It was fun but very expensive and I wasn't doing it at the level some guys are thats for sure.

Rich

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The cost is what is hurting Comp, but believe me there is more to it than that. National events are typically Fri - Sun. You need to be there by either Wed. or Thursday and then you sit around all weekend make a run here and a run there and then run 4 rounds of slim sometimes 5 on Sunday. It is tough to take off time from the activity that pays for Comp (work) to sit at a race and sometimes not even unload the car for a day of the weekend..

Money would be nice if they paid more, but do we really think NHRA is going to do that? All the car counts are down. The NHRA brand is not what it needs to be.. companies look at spending money and look at their bang for the buck... NHRA sometimes get TV coverage on a Sunday afternoon, but if the world ping pong finals are on that day NHRA races gets moved back... 40 + weekends a year NASCAR gets a 3-5 hour block of time on TV mostly on Sunday afternoon.

If you were a company where would you throw your money?

Hopefully Comp can weather the storm here and make it through. I ran Comp for 3-4 years, and it made me a better racer, driver, and it made my crew chief better as well as you need to find everything you can to be fast. It was fun but very expensive and I wasn't doing it at the level some guys are thats for sure.

Rich
What you state is accurate. However NASCAR is in trouble too. If I am corporate America I wouldn't put $ in either one.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
NHRA isn't about the average racer and hasn't been for years. There are four or five classes and the rest of the group are just fillers. Those classes don't pay any money and the spectators could care less. Those classes are boring as hell, just like bracket racing. Small tire racing is exciting and the fans enjoy it more. Give small tire racing a try or race with bracket racers in the mini van. Now the shit will start.

·
Registered
24,008 Posts
NHRA isn't about the average racer and hasn't been for years. There are four or five classes and the rest of the group are just fillers. Those classes don't pay any money and the spectators could care less. Those classes are boring as hell, just like bracket racing. Small tire racing is exciting and the fans enjoy it more. Give small tire racing a try or race with bracket racers in the mini van. Now the shit will start.
I agree. NHRA has KILLED the sport.

Sportsman racing built the sport, now it is a by-thought. I remember, fondly, the Gassers, Mod Productions, Altered, Stock and Super Stocks. The engineering and innovation that these classes generated. NOW it is ALL about Force, Schumacher, and the few other pro racers. Someone posted the number of Pro mods entered at Indy, BUT you'll never see them on TV.

No, NHRA has killed the sport, and driven away most of the true race fans.

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
27,554 Posts
You saying TD/TS aren't expensive?
Not even close to what most comp classes cost. Also, the point made earlier about spending days at the track is valid as well. Even if you have the cash who wants to spend 4 - 5 days at a event and maybe make one pass a day?

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not even close to what most comp classes cost. Also, the point made earlier about spending days at the track is valid as well. Even if you have the cash who wants to spend 4 - 5 days at a event and maybe make one pass a day?

Hasn't that always been the case? National events have been 3-4 days for most events since the 70's!

·
"Nice Monte Carlo"
1,839 Posts
[email protected] 212ish.. was what it was running when I last raced with em. 632" Conventional headed BBC with 2 small kits. It was a 245" Spitzer chassis. I moved to Texas 6 years ago, and haven't seen much of what they are doing lately.

·
"Shocks don't matter"
21,585 Posts

To be dominant, you better have something exotic in comp eliminator. BB/CHEVY or SB/CHEVY and your going backwards. Exotic ain't cheap, you might as well run Pro Stock. I tend to agree with you. The cost of winning killed it.

Top Dragster/ Top Sportsman is a very cool deal, on top of it. Fast bracket racing. There is some fast one's out there bet your ass on it!

·
Aviation Section
25,991 Posts
We raced Comp for years and held the record in A/AA and C/EA for a time, it was very expensive. A friend, Bob Phelps, won Indy driving his own 1962 Corvette back in the 60's and his dream was to win it again. He did with his hired driver, hired Crew Chief, and two car team in AA/A but it cost over 1 million dollars to do it!

As soon as his team won Indy a second time he sold everything and laid off the whole team, but at least he won again!

Comp never gets on T.V., we are lucky if they even show final round! No T.V., no sponsors, and you are doing it all yourself and that can only last so long. Our 300 inch Kaiser was almost $50K and we were not allowed to even pull the heads or he would never sell us another one! Talk about exotica! Dave

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
We raced Comp for years and held the record in A/AA and C/EA for a time, it was very expensive. A friend, Bob Phelps, won Indy driving his own 1962 Corvette back in the 60's and his dream was to win it again. He did with his hired driver, hired Crew Chief, and two car team in AA/A but it cost over 1 million dollars to do it!

As soon as his team won Indy a second time he sold everything and laid off the whole team, but at least he won again!

Comp never gets on T.V., we are lucky if they even show final round! No T.V., no sponsors, and you are doing it all yourself and that can only last so long. Our 300 inch Kaiser was almost $50K and we were not allowed to even pull the heads or he would never sell us another one! Talk about exotica! Dave
Who won Indy in Bob Phelps' Vette?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts