Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine asked if I could weld some black pipe or him. I have TIG'd black pipe before, I am a certified TIG welder, so that was no trouble, but TIG will not be an option this time. I can MIG weld just fine, but have never MIG'd black pipe before. Any thoughts on wire, gas, etc.? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
If your talking schedule 40 or 80, it is also available in barewall without the black coating FWIW if that's an option. I have always just cleaned off the black coating on the end or spot your going to weld, fit the pipe and pull the trigger. My Miller 212 is set with .035 wire which I use for everything, 75/25 gas and just attack it like you would any other mig job. Hope this helps.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If your talking schedule 40 or 80, it is also available in barewall without the black coating FWIW if that's an option. I have always just cleaned off the black coating on the end or spot your going to weld, fit the pipe and pull the trigger. My Miller 212 is set with .035 wire which I use for everything, 75/25 gas and just attack it like you would any other mig job. Hope this helps.
This is pretty much what I had in mind. That's what I did when I TIG'd the black pipe, just ground off the coating, and welded it. I have to admit that TIGing black pipe was quite tricky, but I got it done pretty well. I have a ton of experience MIG welding in general, just never BP. I'm fairly confident it will work just like you said, thanks!!

Oh by the way, the pipe is going to be smaller than S40, not sure how much, but I do know that it will be smaller.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of problems did you have when you TIG'd the black pipe? I'm just curious......
Porosity was the biggest problem. I was welding a T joint like you would in a roll cage, with notched tube. It welded pretty well, but one place would always have porosity problems. Never really did figure out why. Pretty much the only reason I TIG'd it was that I was told it wouldn't work. I won that argument. :-D The welding I'm going to be doing will be straight unions, with couplers. My buddy thinks it will be quicker than threading all the joints. I'm getting payed to do it, so I'm not going to argue!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Porosity was the biggest problem. I was welding a T joint like you would in a roll cage, with notched tube. It welded pretty well, but one place would always have porosity problems. Never really did figure out why. Pretty much the only reason I TIG'd it was that I was told it wouldn't work. I won that argument. :-D The welding I'm going to be doing will be straight unions, with couplers. My buddy thinks it will be quicker than threading all the joints. I'm getting payed to do it, so I'm not going to argue!!
TIG is one thing that I'm really wanting to learn, I asked because I'm really curious about it and haven't had any real chance to do it. I figured black pipe would just be the same MS plus the coating, as I've never had any issue with the MIG doing it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Treat it like a boiler tube. If this is a black or red iron pipe it will have a whole diff welding procedure. Anyways, bevel the pipe,space it properly maybe a 1/8 gap, tack it in minimal 3 places and weld the root in. Finish welding it out capping it properly with some stringer pass's.

·
Registered
16,626 Posts
Like any other form of welding, it should be clean. Grind off the coating, bevel both edges and have at it.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Wire wheel the garbage coating off the outside or glass bead it if you can. I have TIG welded black iron before and it worked out fine. I treated it just like low carb mild steel. Argon gas and mild steel filler rod. For your MIG just run your standard C25 gas mix and a ER70S-6 wire.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not welding it like a high pressure pipe joint. I'll be welding tube to couplers. Don't ask me why, it isn't my decision, but asked if I would do it, and I'm getting payed, so I'm doing what they want done, no arguements here. If it were a regular beveled pipe joint, I wouldn't do it, I'm not certified for high pressure pipe. Oh, and it isn't going to have high pressure through it either.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TIG is one thing that I'm really wanting to learn, I asked because I'm really curious about it and haven't had any real chance to do it. I figured black pipe would just be the same MS plus the coating, as I've never had any issue with the MIG doing it.
Find your local votech, and see if they have a welding program. If they do, they most likely offer night classes. If so, sign up and tell them you want to learn TIG. For 90% of the welding you are going to ever do, I think TIG is the only way to fly. I especially love TIGing aluminum, and happen to be pretty damn good at it. I also worked in a bronze foundry, and TIG'd bronze for 5 years. It will be worth your time to go learn TIG, you'll love it once you get the hang of it!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
3/32 7018 will do a real good job on pipe joints.
It freezes up quick, you can weave it and it makes a real smooth job.

I was certified on 7018 multi pass vertical when I was 18.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Treat it like a boiler tube. If this is a black or red iron pipe it will have a whole diff welding procedure. Anyways, bevel the pipe,space it properly maybe a 1/8 gap, tack it in minimal 3 places and weld the root in. Finish welding it out capping it properly with some stringer pass's.

Good advice (im a pipefitter)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts