Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The NHRA is putting itself right out of the equation for the little guy.
Big money has spoiled the sport. The media has the "divide and conquer" agenda going on.

The growing trend now is street racing. Do it however you want....no rules, no classes, no paying to get in!!

Fuck the NHRA and their bullshit...the little guy no longer needs them...there are plenty of public streets available to compete on.
Well make sure you block off the streets hire your EMTs and off duty cops so no innocent family gets hurt doing your retarded street racing.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The radical fragmentation of our sport will be what stops it from growing (probably already has) and someday kills it completely.
If you ask someone if they are a basketball fan, they don't start arguing, "yes, but I don't like the SEC conference it sucks!!!"
If you ask a drag racer if they are a fan, they will tell you about how their sliver of racing is great and all the others can pound sand.
I'm not a Fan of how the NHRA runs their business, but if they did it well, they would be consolidating us, not fragmenting us.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I'm excited that our sport that we all love is still growing and expanding in different ways but I'm just tired of the in your face NHRA/NASCAR big money. I don't think it's divided, I just think we have more choices for the grassroots racer than we ever have.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
What he said^^^
The pie has been around a long time and people see they can fix racing in their immediate area. They break off a crumb of the pie and tailor it to what they need. In order to have a big effect it would take a big player to be able to do that and it's beyond most. I think that leads to the disappointment because we all know who the big dog is and currently many don't think they care. The opportunity is there, but someone has to influence the change.. Either an individual getting to the right ears or such a massive movement that it gains traction.;)

·
Pontiac NUT
6,275 Posts
It is very fragmented. The NHRA tries to be heavy handed with their members and fans, but it is backfiring on them. They still have comments disabled on their facebook page do to the backlash they received. The only reason they have them disabled is they do not want their sponsors to see that their popularity in the sport is diminishing. I bet if a percentage of the people who are up in arms at the NHRA responses to the Street Outlaws put pressure on Coca Cola they would pull the Mello Yello sponsorship.

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
the way of the world .....if I don't like it you shouldn't either!
Or as a friend of mine says " I got mine, Fuck you"

I think one of the biggest issues is the tracks always changing classes and rules in an effort to draw more cars and spectators. Wether or not it works is debatable.

I was around in the 70s and traveled to a lot of NHRA National Events with a friend that ran Stock. I've been away for a long time just getting back into this a few years ago. Say what you want about NHRA but IMO their events are closer to what they used to be. It's also consistent. No matter where it is, the rules are the same. I only wish I could afford to race at that level.

The local tracks keep changing programs for the elusive car count. Small tire classes, Index programs, 1/8, 1/4, 1000 ft. It's like the track operators want to make everyone happy but as a result, no one is. Use to be the track was what it was and you either had a bracket car or class car that you could also bracket race. People built what they could afford and were comfortable racing. Today it seems a lot of racers want to build things that are probably beyond their financial limits and driving abilities and expect the track to change to accommodate them.

The single most attended event locally is the Nostalgia Weekend. Place is packed solid. That tells me something.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The radical fragmentation of our sport will be what stops it from growing (probably already has) and someday kills it completely.
If you ask someone if they are a basketball fan, they don't start arguing, "yes, but I don't like the SEC conference it sucks!!!"
If you ask a drag racer if they are a fan, they will tell you about how their sliver of racing is great and all the others can pound sand.
I'm not a Fan of how the NHRA runs their business, but if they did it well, they would be consolidating us, not fragmenting us.
Exactly what would you do different?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts