Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of richmond 4.10s on sale from summit. I ordered a full installation kit also so I have all the parts.

It looks like I need a case spreader? Do I really need this, because i've read mixed things about using one and not using one?

Is there any other tips or tricks that you would recommend with one of these IRS setups?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Based upon your questions I suggest you pay someone who knows what they are doing to set the gears up for you. Do you own a press, in*lb dial tq wrench, bearing drivers... If not you'll need them.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based upon your questions I suggest you pay someone who knows what they are doing to set the gears up for you. Do you own a press, in*lb dial tq wrench, bearing drivers... If not you'll need them.
i have all the other tools and such. i've just NEVER had to use a case spreader for a rear gear install.

·
DamCoonass
15,236 Posts
i have all the other tools and such. i've just NEVER had to use a case spreader for a rear gear install.

I have a Dana 60 under my race car.

I was under the impression that you needed a spreader to get the spool/carrier out of it.

Chrysler even has a "special" tool for that but it was gone from the dealer.

I gave it a shot without one & it wasn't any tighter than a 12 bolt.

I don't know if that's the deal with yours but don't be surprised if it is.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I didn't have to use one. The richmond gears suck ass though. Get them cryoed before you put them in. First set lasted one wet pavement burnout and sheared all the teeth off the pinion. Second set after cry has made 20+ laps at the track with 500rwhp but just street tires..

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I have done over a dozen GM IRS diffs and did not use a spreader. GM, Chryser, and Ford all say that a spreader is required but I rarely see them used.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
decided to just send them back.. gonna order my supercharger instead..screw it. what's a few months of credit card interest right?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
decided to just send them back.. gonna order my supercharger instead..screw it. what's a few months of credit card interest right?
After you put the supercharger in, you will probably just want to put a ford 9 inch in it anyway. It will last a lot longer then the factory diff.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Someone also now make a 12 bolt kit if I'm not mistaken.

A friend of mine has the 9 inch in his G8 after going through a G8 diff and then a Camaro diff. The 9 inch should last a while.
i've always had good success with 9" diffs. I had one in my 83 trans am.

I'll most likely go that route.. only ford part i'll ever use too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts