·
Administrator
136,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. Was it worth it? Just wondering..

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
26,635 Posts
It's a tough thing to do. What's the problem and post what bylaw that your in violation of.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I did not sue an HOA but I challenged a mandate.
We lived in a condo and the association had an arrangement with a contractor for a capital improvement project of replacement windows.

The arrangement dictated that you HAD to use Marvin windows and they provided a part number. I don't recall exactly it was so long ago, I got the windows replaced on my own for 40% less than the agreement.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I have been involved in one from the other side. Resident sued the HOA I am on. They were absolutely in the wrong, the HOA was right no question about it and the plaintiff asked for a jury trial and we lost.

·
Registered
690 Posts
No suing them probably won't work out very well.. they already have the community and 'reps' under their control.

I'd never even consider living under that nazi shit. The 'community rep' stopped by my buddies house while I was there and told him he can't push his project car outside during the day, without a car cover over it..

His place is insanely nice and well kept and his project car is a '70 Torino in primer.. looks fine it's not junk at all and was only outside an hour or two at a time. His wife talked him into moving into that shitville instead of moving a few miles outsite of town and having land, a shop and a freedom..

Fuck HOA

·
Registered
19,621 Posts
I have been involved in one from the other side. Resident sued the HOA I am on. They were absolutely in the wrong, the HOA was right no question about it and the plaintiff asked for a jury trial and we lost.
If they were so clearly wrong how did they win? And did they face in repercussions from suing the HOA?

·
#Tittipicsmatter !
6,033 Posts
My brother sued over putting a building in his backyard for his old cars and r/c airplanes. He spent many thousands and several neighbors joined the suit with him. My brother and his neighbors won. The HOA is now pretty much gone. All they do now is meet about the flowers and shrubs in the common areas and street maintenance issues. There are only 20 houses in the development. Everyone in the neighborhood is happy now except for the 3 couples that were the hoa lovers. You can win almost any battle if you spend enough cash.
Its just like a racecar engine. Cubic dollars.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I was a expert witness (means I stayed at the Holiday Inn the night before) at a case where the home owner used "fill" to cover the "raised" portion of a coastal home instead of acting like the other home owners who's house looked "stupid" nine feet above grade. He won, but the cost was crazy compared to pushing 20 loads of dirt up against the house.
Zim

1 - 20 of 144 Posts