Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of red oxide ring coating?
My new Total Seal classic race rings arrived and the second rings are in a plastic bag with rust on them as well as the inside of the bag. I spoke to Total Seal tech and they said they are "red oxide coated".
I have other new sets of Total Seal classic race rings sitting here and they do not have the rust coating on them. They have a thin oil coating just like all the other rings I've used for the last 25 pus years.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
If that’s the latest thing I’ll be in good shape.

Ill bet the bores in my block will be red oxide coated by the time I get my project finished..:)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Hello Vito,
I have never heard of "red oxide coating" being applied to piston rings. Most ring manufacturers use a grey/black Moly coating to resist rust and extend "shelf life".

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Opened a set yesterday for a late model hemi, and while they weren't covered in a rust type film as the OP suggests, they were definitely a different color than the typical black/grey we are used to. More of an tan/orange color. Didn’t look at them to close, as I was just verifying fitment in ring grooves and bore size, but will look closer today.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Definitely a red/brown tint compared to the typical black we're used to.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
What you putting those tractor rings in? 😁
Hahaha, late model hemi with a blower.
Just fixing someone else's build. Not replacing the CP pistons, so it kinda is what it is. They are a little on the LARGE side huh?!? Lol

Reactions: stuska1

·
Registered
5,644 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's exactly what mine looked like. I wiped them down with WD40 and they were almost orange. Must be cheaper than applying oil.

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
This have anything to do with them being bought out??
Are the rings and quality going to go in the shitter??

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
This have anything to do with them being bought out??
Are the rings and quality going to go in the shitter??
I doubt it!
Matt is the CEO, so I'm betting it'll be fine.
The rings I pictured, although different looking in color, were of the same quality I would expect in the set. The op mentioned still being covered in a rusty film. Mine were a different color, but they were the same cleanliness as of past sets so?
Ultimately, only time will tell I guess, but...........

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
No, you can be assured that Matt Hartford and the team at Total Seal will not compromise the quality of their products.

There are many new coatings currently being developed for automotive piston rings, such as Gas Nitride, PVD, Phosphate and even DLC. I am guessing that the orange/reddish color that is being observed may be residue from Gas Nitride coating, although it seems like the manufacturer would identify the rings as being coated with this process.

Reactions: Ed Curtis
1 - 15 of 15 Posts