Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Ive bought the 40 grain American Eagle 5.7 for as little as $13 for a box of 50 from PSA. They frequently have sales. The biggest problem with the 5.7x28 is the lack of decent ammo availability. FN has a lock on anything more exciting than FMJ and wont sell the "armor piercing" ( its not ) or the subsonic etc. Its not quite a pain in the ass to reload but the brass is kind of weird due to the way the FN PS90's operate with a shellac coating on the casing. As far as the usual pricing its not that bad. $15-$20 for 50 rounds. FN ammo being higher but no more than $25 unless you just like overpaying.

The reason I do not own the FN is that if the mag is not in the gun, it won't fire. Will the 57 fire without the mag in it?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The reason I do not own the FN is that if the mag is not in the gun, it won't fire. Will the 57 fire without the mag in it?
I'm pretty sure it will. However, I didn't actually try that when I used it. Everybody I've talked to, and everything I've seen and read, says that the Ruger looks and feels like a higher quality gun for half the price of the FN. The Ruger could make the FN obsolete.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
76,646 Posts
Well, like any other carry gun, it would come down to the ammo. A soft point, or hollow point, expanding projectile probably would not have a problem with over penetration. It's a light weight round, so it loses energy quickly. I have 9mm ammo with a much higher velocity, out of a handgun, than the 5.7x28 ammo. That 9mm ammo will go thru body armor, but it won't go all the way thru an adult human. Ammo can make a huge difference in how the gun performs in a given situation.

By the way, with that logic, are you suggesting that an AR 15 wouldn't be a good selection for home defense? That has the same size projectile, with a heavier weight, moving at a higher velocity. So, would an AR 15 be a bad choice for home defense?
YES..IT WOULD...UNLESS YOIRE HOME IS BEIMG STORMED BY ARMED GAURDS THAT YOU NEED TO.DEFEND AGAIMST AT A DISTANCE.....THE SHORT BARREL STUFF IS FOR UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL.....WHEN YOUR LONG GUN DIDNT WORK....DUH

·
Intellectual Turd Chaser
5,833 Posts
I’ve seen relatively small guys (5’8” 150-160lbs) carry full size 1911’s and you couldn’t see it. I’m curious, are you able to draw that gun from a seated position?
Very easily. AIWB lends itself very well to drawing form a seated position.

·
Intellectual Turd Chaser
5,833 Posts
I have to ask, why don’t you carry a 15 round magazine for your backup? From a practical standpoint, if I need to use my second mag, I would want it to be as large as possible.
This is my line of thought as well. 15+1 in the gun, 18 round mag for a reload.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
YES..IT WOULD...UNLESS YOIRE HOME IS BEIMG STORMED BY ARMED GAURDS THAT YOU NEED TO.DEFEND AGAIMST AT A DISTANCE.....THE SHORT BARREL STUFF IS FOR UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL.....WHEN YOUR LONG GUN DIDNT WORK....DUH

What about a pistol or SBR version?

It's my opinion, and you're entitled to yours, but I think there are more positives and fewer negatives to an AR than a handgun or shotgun for home defense. Is it perfect? No, it isn't. However, unless you know the specific scenario, who will be involved, and exactly how they'll react, you can't really pick a perfect weapon. I guess, for you, the saying "you use your pistol to get to your rifle" doesn't ring true. :p:D

P.S. I'm sorry, but I have to ask this. If you couldn't hit your "targets" at a distance with your rifle, why would you think you'd be more accurate with a pistol at a shorter distance?:oops:

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Very easily. AIWB lends itself very well to drawing form a seated position.

Ok, I just wasn't sure if the longer slide and barrel would make it more difficult to draw from that position. What holster do you use?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I need to see if my local range has one to rent. I'd be interested in possibly having one.
It seems as though they're trying to get interest before shipping these in volume. According to Ruger, they've been shipping them since December 30 and their distributors have them. However, I haven't seen anybody who has them in stock. I called my LGS on Saturday and asked if they've had any come in yet, and they said they've seen one (other than the one Ruger sent them to rent). One of their employees bought it, so now there is only one person ahead of me on their list. I'll let everyone know when they have one.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Whatever happened to having a fun gun that’s just a ton of fun to shoot. This fills that need perfectly and the PDW from Ruger that is on the way in the same caliber is going to be even more fun.

Let’s not act like this is the only gun any of us will have

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have a fun gun, just picked up a PMR-30 from Kel-Tec.
Would I use it EDC? no, but as a take it to the range and enjoy the fireball everytime I pull the trigger and has virtually no recoil, it's role as something different is perfect.

I would like to see one of the Rugers too.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Whatever happened to having a fun gun that’s just a ton of fun to shoot. This fills that need perfectly and the PDW from Ruger that is on the way in the same caliber is going to be even more fun.

Let’s not act like this is the only gun any of us will have
Couldn't agree more. Some guns, just like some cars, don't need to be practical, they're just "fun". PSA is coming out with some fun stuff later this year. I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have a fun gun, just picked up a PMR-30 from Kel-Tec.
Would I use it EDC? no, but as a take it to the range and enjoy the fireball everytime I pull the trigger and has virtually no recoil, it's role as something different is perfect.

I would like to see one of the Rugers too.

Really like my PMR, Had it almost 3 years and not a hiccup. Fireball is great, but that's to be expected when shooting rifle cartridges in a pistol!.

I need to pick up a Maglula loader for it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts