Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at my local range and they had one available to be rented. They didn't have any for sale yet, but they had one for the range. I have to admit, I didn't really know what to expect, but I was very impressed with it. It was comfortable, shoots very flat, has very little recoil and is very accurate. The best way to describe it is that it is a handheld version of an AR 15. Yes, the rounds are a bit shorter in length, but they look the same and the magazines load just like an AR magazine. I put my name on the list for one of these, and there is only one person before me.

There are rumors that Winchester is going to start making this ammo, hopefully others will too. Then ammo will be reasonably priced. I've heard that another manufacturer is making a handgun in this caliber, but I haven't heard who. There are also some rumblings that Ruger plans on making a PCC in this caliber. I think that could be very cool. If you have a chance, try one of these and let me know if I'm crazy to like this pistol. :D

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Ive bought the 40 grain American Eagle 5.7 for as little as $13 for a box of 50 from PSA. They frequently have sales. The biggest problem with the 5.7x28 is the lack of decent ammo availability. FN has a lock on anything more exciting than FMJ and wont sell the "armor piercing" ( its not ) or the subsonic etc. Its not quite a pain in the ass to reload but the brass is kind of weird due to the way the FN PS90's operate with a shellac coating on the casing. As far as the usual pricing its not that bad. $15-$20 for 50 rounds. FN ammo being higher but no more than $25 unless you just like overpaying.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the ammo isn't crazy expensive, but if more was being made it would be cheaper. I doubt it could be as cheap as 9mm ammo, but the closer the better. The most expensive ammo I saw was Speer hollow points for $35 per box of 50.

That price for ammo won't deter me, I'm getting one. :) That's about the same price as good ammo for .45 acp or .357 magnum.

·
Intellectual Turd Chaser
5,833 Posts
I've shot a FN 5.7 before. Lots of noise and little recoil. If the ammo was more commonplace I'd consider picking one up, especially if they had a threaded barrel option.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting that Ruger would release this. There is neat factor to it but it ends there. Nothing more than a novelty just like the Kel-Tech PMR30.
I don't know if I would agree with that. It's about the size of a Glock 17. Actually, I think it has the same slide length as a 1911. So, larger people could carry it concealed. However, a Ruger 57 (with 20 rounds of ammo) weighs less than a Glock 19 (with 15 rounds of ammo). At the price point Ruger is at, I think this might be kinda popular. We'll see...

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've shot a FN 5.7 before. Lots of noise and little recoil. If the ammo was more commonplace I'd consider picking one up, especially if they had a threaded barrel option.
Yes, the noise kinda surprised me. With the size of the ammo, I expected it to be less noisey. However, it didn't seem any louder than a 9mm. I didn't have another gun to compare the noise level to, but it definitely didn't seem as loud as a .40 or .357 Sig. With how well Ruger supports their guns, I wouldn't be surprised to see a threaded barrel on their website, eventually.

·
Registered
975 Posts
What do you do with it?! It would be expensive to target shoot and fucking dangerous to use as a carry gun. Would kill the bad guy and everything on the other side of the wall the bad guy is standing in front of.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you do with it?! It would be expensive to target shoot and fucking dangerous to use as a carry gun. Would kill the bad guy and everything on the other side of the wall the bad guy is standing in front of.

Well, like any other carry gun, it would come down to the ammo. A soft point, or hollow point, expanding projectile probably would not have a problem with over penetration. It's a light weight round, so it loses energy quickly. I have 9mm ammo with a much higher velocity, out of a handgun, than the 5.7x28 ammo. That 9mm ammo will go thru body armor, but it won't go all the way thru an adult human. Ammo can make a huge difference in how the gun performs in a given situation.

By the way, with that logic, are you suggesting that an AR 15 wouldn't be a good selection for home defense? That has the same size projectile, with a heavier weight, moving at a higher velocity. So, would an AR 15 be a bad choice for home defense?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yes, the noise kinda surprised me. With the size of the ammo, I expected it to be less noisey. However, it didn't seem any louder than a 9mm. I didn't have another gun to compare the noise level to, but it definitely didn't seem as loud as a .40 or .357 Sig. With how well Ruger supports their guns, I wouldn't be surprised to see a threaded barrel on their website, eventually.
The noise is coming from the slow powder not burning all the way in the short barrel. Most 5.7 ammo is made for longer barrels.

As far as punching a hole right through and wiping out everything on the other side thats a bunch of hooey. Ballistically its going to perform like a light 5.56 round. Hits and fragments or tumbles.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as punching a hole right through and wiping out everything on the other side thats a bunch of hooey. Ballistically its going to perform like a light 5.56 round. Hits and fragments or tumbles.
I found a video of Paul Harrell using the FN 57 on the meat target. With currently available ammo, over-penetration will not be an issue.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Well, like any other carry gun, it would come down to the ammo. A soft point, or hollow point, expanding projectile probably would not have a problem with over penetration. It's a light weight round, so it loses energy quickly. I have 9mm ammo with a much higher velocity, out of a handgun, than the 5.7x28 ammo. That 9mm ammo will go thru body armor, but it won't go all the way thru an adult human. Ammo can make a huge difference in how the gun performs in a given situation.

By the way, with that logic, are you suggesting that an AR 15 wouldn't be a good selection for home defense? That has the same size projectile, with a heavier weight, moving at a higher velocity. So, would an AR 15 be a bad choice for home defense?
Fair enough in your comparison to an ar15/5.56 round. I do like an ar15, but since four people live in my house I honestly don't think that is my first choice in the home unless were talking about a whole gang of bad guys. I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of a Ruger 57, I say get any cool gun you want and can afford, but if I had one I know it would just sit.

·
Intellectual Turd Chaser
5,833 Posts
Exactly.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I don't know if I would agree with that. It's about the size of a Glock 17. Actually, I think it has the same slide length as a 1911. So, larger people could carry it concealed. However, a Ruger 57 (with 20 rounds of ammo) weighs less than a Glock 19 (with 15 rounds of ammo). At the price point Ruger is at, I think this might be kinda popular. We'll see...
Not very interesting from a carry perspective. Too large and I don't know of any being use in-service/duty capacity. I'll stick with 23 rds of 9mm with my P365.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Fair enough in your comparison to an ar15/5.56 round. I do like an ar15, but since four people live in my house I honestly don't think that is my first choice in the home unless were talking about a whole gang of bad guys. I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of a Ruger 57, I say get any cool gun you want and can afford, but if I had one I know it would just sit.
It never occurred to me that you were trying to talk me out of buying it. It just seemed like you didn't think there was a legitimate reason for buying one. Just like anything else, some people will think there are good reasons for owning one and there will be plenty of people who think there are good reasons to not own one.

As for using an AR for home defense, my opinion is that it is the best weapon for home defense regardless of how many people live there. However, that is what is great about this Country, you can use anything you deem necessary to protect yourself and your home, within the law. To each their own...

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not very interesting from a carry perspective. Too large and I don't know of any being use in-service/duty capacity. I'll stick with 23 rds of 9mm with my P365.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. I doubt I would carry a gun that size, but it wouldn't be difficult during the winter months. Sure, there are negatives to that gun, but that's true for any gun. There are also positives. It could be a great gun for a bug out bag. It's capacity to weight ratio is extremely high. 2 rounds of 5.7x28 weigh the same as 1 round of 9mm. Not to mention, it's a pretty competent round, for a handgun.

You're happy with 23 rounds of 9mm in a subcompact gun. That's cool. Some people are happy with 12 or 18 rounds of .357 magnum in a small revolver. The options are numerous, and everybody makes that decision based on what they think they'll need in an "emergency". Just remember, no matter what you prepare for, there can always be a scenario that you never even thought to consider. Hopefully none of us will ever be in that position.

·
Intellectual Turd Chaser
5,833 Posts
I have no problem concealing my 92A1 under a t shirt, AIWB at that.

A quality holster designed for the specific method of carry is key

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have no problem concealing my 92A1 under a t shirt, AIWB at that.

A quality holster designed for the specific method of carry is key
I’ve seen relatively small guys (5’8” 150-160lbs) carry full size 1911’s and you couldn’t see it. I’m curious, are you able to draw that gun from a seated position?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have to ask, why don’t you carry a 15 round magazine for your backup? From a practical standpoint, if I need to use my second mag, I would want it to be as large as possible.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts