Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK i got a question, because in Puerto Rico there is people that still dares to build chassis cages and 3/4 chassis cars in plumbers hard pipe, (YES THE SAME BLACK PIPE USED IN CONSTRUCTION) and to worst things up it is a chassis inspector from SFI foundation Mr. Harry Ferrari that is giving cert. stickers to those up to 7.50 or slower 25.4 to those black pipe made chassis.

Is that legal?

Because as far as i know the only legal material allowed for the fabrication of any chassis or cage is ERW mild steel, DOM mild steel and 4130 chrome moly, i dont think BLACK PIPE has the tensile strenght of any of the before mentioned, or i am missing something?

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,920 Posts
come on , back in the day they where making front engine dragsters out of exhuast tubing to get the weight down

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
OK i got a question, because in Puerto Rico there is people that still dares to build chassis cages and 3/4 chassis cars in plumbers hard pipe, (YES THE SAME BLACK PIPE USED IN CONSTRUCTION) and to worst things up it is a chassis inspector from SFI foundation Mr. Harry Ferrari that is giving cert. stickers to those up to 7.50 or slower 25.4 to those black pipe made chassis.

Is that legal?

Because as far as i know the only legal material allowed for the fabrication of any chassis or cage is ERW mild steel, DOM mild steel and 4130 chrome moly, i dont think BLACK PIPE has the tensile strenght of any of the before mentioned, or i am missing something?
While I am not a big fan of imports I would hate to see ANY racer get hurt.This has got to be illegal?I would think so.Stay safe.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
How good a quality do you think ERW tubing is?
I actually looked up the specs for both in a metal suppliers book and the pipe is very very close to ERW, possibly a little better on the weld because it is rated to hold a certain amount of pressure.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
There is no reason why it would not pass.
The I.D. may pass but the O.D. won't. Pipe O.D. is not correct to tubing and any tech worth his salt won't or shouldn't pass it. Send that question to your division tech director or the national tech director, the answer would be interesting. If you get an answer, please let us know.

Rick

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Actually 1 1/4 pipe is 1 5/8 OD and .140 wall and I have seen some mil certs come through with tensile strength equal to DOM.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Just looking thru my SFI 25.4 spec and they specify ASTM A519 or A513 which seem to be for tubing. Pipe is ASTM A53, ASTM A733
Biggest issue with it is it does not fit tubing bender dies well but it is stronger than many would think.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Just looking thru my SFI 25.4 spec and they specify ASTM A519 or A513 which seem to be for tubing. Pipe is ASTM A53, ASTM A733
Biggest issue with it is it does not fit tubing bender dies well but it is stronger than many would think.
true.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
if someone`s dumb enough to do it why stop em? too many fuckers in the world today anyways

when I was younger and was involved in some dirt car racing we had exhaust tubing in some areas of the chassis, anything to lose weight as long as the drivers compartment wasn`t affected, usually the reason you`d see guys barely touch the wall and half the car is wadded up.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dom starts as ERW ,which is a cold rolled steel and is then cold worked over a mandrel, and does have a seam. That said pipe is a hot rolled steel and does not have the load carrying capabilites.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
many opinions and no real answer yet, i wouldn't use it even for a stairs hand rail, but that's my opinion, and why it does not say nothing about it in the SFI if is accepted? i still think there are many grey areas in such SFI cert. agency and all what they care is about how much $$$ they can generate doing their partnership with NHRA!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts