Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct section but need help.

Just bought a fox mustang that has aerospace front brakes, stock rear breaks, and manual master cylinder. My problem is the brake pedal is very hard and the car doesn't stop very well. Also, the front brakes squeal bad ever time I try to stop. I have looked at everything I can think of and the problem still exists. Has anyone had this problem or can anyone give me any hints on what to check or change to fix this problem. thanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
Not sure if this is the correct section but need help.

Just bought a fox mustang that has aerospace front brakes, stock rear breaks, and manual master cylinder. My problem is the brake pedal is very hard and the car doesn't stop very well. Also, the front brakes squeal bad ever time I try to stop. I have looked at everything I can think of and the problem still exists. Has anyone had this problem or can anyone give me any hints on what to check or change to fix this problem. thanks
Start here......... http://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.aspx

That should help with your problem. Once I fixed my pedal ratio my brakes feel, and work much better.

Jeff

·
Registered
15,276 Posts
Might be a couple problems. I guess you checked the front brake pads and the surface of the rotor? Some of the early aerospace stuff had problems. I would look there for the squeel (it might be a metallic pad when you need a softer pad too).
The hard pedal can be from pedal ratio as has been suggested, overly large piston bore in the master cyl or a combination of both.
Do you have stock master cylinder? The front brakes for the mustang were floaters if i recall and the surface area of the pads likely larger than the aerospace and they probably had a large bore mc and you better change to smaller bore - i am not telling for certanty that that is your problem, just check them out, ok?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check the ratio of the mc rod only thing is the pedal is not soft or mussy it is extermely hard.

Here is some information on the set up.

1. Single piston aerospace front brake setup (according to areospace website the are rated to 2500pds vehicle weight)
2. no proportion valve?
3. aftermarket mc. (don't know what brand)
4. new brake pads
5. the mc rod is in the stock hole location
6. bradied lines on all positions (instead of rubber)
7. double checked how the lines were run and the front lines are going to the front port of the mc through a line lock and the rear lines are going the the rear port on the mc. (I believe that to be wrong but not sure at this point)
8. I pulled the calipers and watched the pistons move inward when pedal was pressed (so I believe they are functioning)

hope this helps.

·
Creepy Ass Cracka
5,801 Posts
I will check the ratio of the mc rod only thing is the pedal is not soft or mussy it is extermely hard.

Here is some information on the set up.

1. Single piston aerospace front brake setup (according to areospace website the are rated to 2500pds vehicle weight)
2. no proportion valve?
3. aftermarket mc. (don't know what brand)
4. new brake pads
5. the mc rod is in the stock hole location
6. bradied lines on all positions (instead of rubber)
7. double checked how the lines were run and the front lines are going to the front port of the mc through a line lock and the rear lines are going the the rear port on the mc. (I believe that to be wrong but not sure at this point)
8. I pulled the calipers and watched the pistons move inward when pedal was pressed (so I believe they are functioning)

hope this helps.
There you go. Move the rod up 1 inch.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Either too big of a master cylinder bore or pedal ratio is not enough

Most likely both.

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts