Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use any of their larger tool boxes? Which one? What do you think?
Thanks Rick

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've got on I use on a mobile cart. It's good for the money.The drawer latches dont always work as well as the should and as a result I've torn out the drawers and had to replace the unit. I've now solved this w/ cable tethers. For the most part I would give them a B grade.

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
Not sure what the price difference is, but im using the stainless Kobalt one from Lowe's and its holding up like a champ. Have had it atleast 2 years now and I have no complaints at all.

This one:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_268967-5573...d_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1

With this on top:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_268962-5573...d_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1
I use one like that in my trailer, and those little plastic end caps on the drawers keep falling off.. They should come super glued from the factory. Other than that, I dig the box a lot!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
a work friend bought a new top and bottom box from lowes,pretty nice set up but on the back is has a few made in china stickers,that sucks

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
I use one like that in my trailer, and those little plastic end caps on the drawers keep falling off.. They should come super glued from the factory. Other than that, I dig the box a lot!
True, I forgot about those. We have the 5 drawer in our trailer too and they do come off.

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,922 Posts
i know several diesel techs that use the harbor frieght boxes , most are years old . they didnt want to spend thousands to buy a box that would get beat up , but most of them replaced the wheels with better wheels . thats the only real problem .

·
Registered
203 Posts
225digger makes a good point for any brand box - my Craftsman roll around we found some bigger casters at a swap meet, welded up a small angle iron frame for them to attach to, and lowered the box onto that - that way if I ever sell it I can take it off that and bolt on the oem casters. Just a thought.

·
Registered
518 Posts
i use the black box from harbor freight and it has been fine for me. been over a year and havent had any issues.

·
waiting to make a pass!
18,370 Posts
had one in the trailer, the weight of the tools bent the draws from the bumps in the road.

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
I honestly figure any use except hardcore out in the woods work like mentioned loaded heavy, they are fine for the money.

But, right CHI-COM stuff.

I have a roller with a stacker matched on top red set Craftsman's that I've had for years but I don't pro-wrench much less hobby-wrench anymore so they sit out in my garage fine.

I will say that the best $5.00 I even spent was up at the great big Rutledge, MO Flea Market years ago when I bought a great shape split top w/ two tacklebox like parts shelves on both sides Kennedy toolbox!

Cantilever box???

You talk about a good carry around pro-made toolbox!! I figure it may be 50 years old???

I know my slightly bent up long Kennedy toolbox with the lift out tray is probably 40 years old and still fine by me.

And I have a smaller Craftsman toolbox like the bigger Kennedy that I bought new back in like '67 or so when I was on the RR and it's still fine.

Can't go wrong with buying good hand-packed toolboxes imho, but the more stationary boxes don't have to be quite as good a quality because they don't usually get beat to death being constantly moved around.

pdq67

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
A new guy hired in at our shop and he unloaded a new H/F tool box out of his truck. All the guys made fun of it being a H/F box. They were right. Its a piece of Shit with a capital S!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If you have the extra money, i suggest Kennedy, we have had some for 15-20 years no need to replace....

·
Registered
81 Posts
The US General boxes are unbeatable for the price.
They are sold under various names too.
US General=Torin, US General Professional=Montezuma.

Very heavy duty, they make my 54" Waterloo(a.k.a. Craftsman) look like a flimsy POS. I would never recommend, or buy, another Craftsman box, not even thier Professional series.
I would buy a HF box in a heartbeat if I didnt already have a big ass tool box.

I bought one of the 5 drawer Tool carts, in gloss red (they come in gloss and flat, the only way to tell is open the box), and love it.
They are also sold under the Torin name, and come in flat black from them.

I bought it at one of the tent sales, on sale for 149.99 then used a 20% off coupon too. Total, with tax, was $130!
Took it home, pulled the emblem off, put a SnapOn decal on the front and a larger one on the lid. (like $10 on ebay)
6 out of 6 techs, at the dealership where I work, thought it was SnapOn.
The SnapOn dealer asked where I got it, since I didn't buy it from him.
It's identical to a BluePoint tool cart, except for the drawer arrangement, one of the techs has a BluePoint and was a little pissed that I got the same box for 1/5th the price.

The flat red color picks up greasy handprints easily. If you don't like it, use the money you saved and paint it.

Those narrow black, 3 piece, tool boxes they sell are junk.
Not good for much, besides a weekend warrior.

·
Registered
81 Posts
And I am a professional tech, use it everyday, and have the drawers loaded to the hilt.

Anything will last if you take care of it, I've had my Craftsmen for 10 years but I baby it because I know it's flimsy.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts