Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have one they have used on sheet metal for automotive body repair/Race Car Body Fabrication ?
I am going to get another mig welder and was just wondering about these and if anybody had any good or bad to say about them ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I used flux core once for patches and never will again you have to grind or clean the slag off every time you stop
And you have to use to much heat because of dia of wire for thin sheet metal
And the weld splatter was brutal
Save you money up and buy a welder that uses a shielding gas unless your a farmer wanting to weld up stuff that appearance doesn't matter

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Flux core is not even good enough for farm use, I'd rather oxy weld than flux core if given the choice.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input all. I had seen a flux core type several years ago first hand and was not impressed to say the least and what you all said was what I saw then and now understand they are still not a viable choice for an extra smaller mig. See I am a Rancher / Farmer who does care what his work looks like when done. I do have a really nice miller Mig welder in the shop along with a newer Eastwood Tig welder along with my plasma cutter and good old Oxy × Acctl. Torch and welding bottles set up. I was just looking to add a smaller 120v mig that would be a lot more portable than what I have now just for the ease of having one.....looks like I will be visiting with our local welding supply guys again here real soon.
Thanks,
Randy.

·
Registered
13,498 Posts
Popular Mechanics Magazine did a review of the 120V MIG welders a couple of years ago. The Eastwood MIG was one of the highest rated. Everyone seems to love them for sheet metal work.

I had a little Lincoln MIG with flux core and I used gas to reduce the spatter. It only had four heat settings, so you didn't have a lot of control for fine tuning.

I sold my Lincoln and bought the Eastwood unit for $300. It has variable heat and wire feed settings. Comes with .023 solid core wire. It works GREAT for sheet metal. Beautiful little beads. I have seen it on sale for $200 a couple of times since I bought mine. It's not as heavy duty as the Lincoln, but perfect for most hobbyists.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts