·
Moderater
14,866 Posts
Happy birthday Big..

Reactions: musclecarjohn

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Now leading the charge, so to speak, to electric drag racing.

The man who built his legend driving stupid fast dragsters powered by loud, nasty, choppy fire breathing internal combustion engine monsters...has spent the last several years working with electric motor powered dragsters.

If Big Daddy, one of the most influential career drag racers in history can get past the change to electric vehicles, why are there so many who have done jack shit and have so much less of their lives invested in the ICE that have so much trouble accepting electrics?

Happy Birthday, Big Guy, thanks for all you have done for our sport. Keep up the good work!!!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Happy birthday Big!

If anyone has the chance, go to his museum. Lots of history there.

I've told this story before but I'll say it again.

When I was at the museum one of his daughters took a helmet off a mannequin. It seemed kind of odd and asked her what she was doing. Well Don was at an airport where John Travolta lives with private houses. Don was there doing something with the electric dragster and he forgot a helmet! Lol! His daughter was kind enough to invite us but our flight was leaving that day and it was away from the airport. I would have loved it gone but could not afford to miss our flight.

·
A Senior Member
4,333 Posts
One of my most memorable drag racing moment's was seeing the blow over at English Town. I couldn't believe the car gong back towards the starting line, then stopping and him getting out. The crowd roared!!!!!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A magical place indeed, we were lucky enough to store Ingenue there for 7 weeks in 2019 after Amelia Island and the Gators, Don was so nice to us!
Behind the car and that banner is a set of doors leading out to I-75...we carried John Force's GTX body out, laid it on the grass and rolled Ingenue in...had tears in my eyes, not gonna lie!
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
16,184 Posts
Great guy Don. Got a personal tour of his own shop about 10 years ago. Great guy to talk to. He had just received one of his early ss v 10 dodges. Jumped in and fired up for us.

·
Registered
Front Engine Dragster
465 Posts
A true legend right there. His museum is simply overwhelming for any drag race fan. I have traveled there three times and will do again.
The amount of history and memorabilia stored there is jaw dropping. You just cant put a price tag on it, one off items one after another.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts