Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be nice to start a thread discussing handy tool tips, especially some that may be "obscure" and not well known but handy working on our cars.

My contribution is this:

Ever have to perform "surgery" on a wire harness that has some heat shrink sleeve around it? I found a "Stitch Ripper" tool that is used by seamstresses to open up stitched seams works great.

Just get the pointy end started under the shrink and you can carefully work it along the length of shrink sleeve to get it off or just open up a section if that's all you need.

You still need to be careful not to cut into any of the insulation on the covered wires and sometimes need to work it a short section at a time. And if you're not careful, you will end up with the pointy end stuck in your hand..... But I've found this to be the quickest and best way to get under shrink sleeve. Either order one online (their dirt cheap) or any fabric store such as Joann's Fabrics and some hobby shops have them.

·
TEAM CARB
45,415 Posts
I thought it would be nice to start a thread discussing handy tool tips, especially some that may be "obscure" and not well known but handy working on our cars.

My contribution is this:

Ever have to perform "surgery" on a wire harness that has some heat shrink sleeve around it? I found a "Stitch Ripper" tool that is used by seamstresses to open up stitched seams works great.

Just get the pointy end started under the shrink and you can carefully work it along the length of shrink sleeve to get it off or just open up a section if that's all you need.

You still need to be careful not to cut into any of the insulation on the covered wires and sometimes need to work it a short section at a time. And if you're not careful, you will end up with the pointy end stuck in your hand..... But I've found this to be the quickest and best way to get under shrink sleeve. Either order one online (their dirt cheap) or any fabric store such as Joann's Fabrics and some hobby shops have them.
That is how my little brother got a nifty scar. Opened up the web between thumb and finger like a hot-pocket.

·
Registered
17,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is how my little brother got a nifty scar. Opened up the web between thumb and finger like a hot-pocket.
Yep. I've cut myself open a variety of ways over the years using Xacto knives and box cutters. Pointy things in life do that....

The say "always cut away from yourself" to avoid getting cut but sometimes you have to hold and cut things a certain way to get the job done.....

·
TEAM CARB
45,415 Posts
LOL...he was probably 6-7 and helping my dad strip some cable for building a full size practice tree. He slipped and was real still and quiet, another racer who shared our shop saw it and went over there smiling but calm. Jason asked him if he was going to need stitches....Todd just laughed loudly, and said "OH YA"....lol
ahhhh Good ole days.

·
El-conquistador, sir
17,435 Posts
I had a 1980 notch with a 460 in it. I had to remove my wedding ring to even get my hand in to the #4 plug and loosen it, and then 10 minutes to get it out. I then figured to take a section of vacume line hose and slip it on over the end of the plug. Then you could spin it out using the hose.

·
TEAM CARB
45,415 Posts
That same rubber hose can make a handy stethoscope. Hold it on areas to locate/isolate the noise.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
I use large zip lock bags to keep my tubes of silicon,rtv,sealers,and lock tite gel etc. in to keep from drying out.Not a tool tip more of a shop tip.

·
Registered
17,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump - Hoping for some more cool tips from the YB readers..

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
Number one.Never stick your tool into somewhere it doesn't belong.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
an oldie but goodie
for stripped nuts/bolts can always try to hammer on a metric or std size if the heads are stripped
same goes for wheel locks, just hammer on an impact socket and have at it if you lost the wheel lock key

another good tip...
brown paper bag over carbs and gas cans keeps spiders away
good to store your carb in so they dont nest
spiders love the fumes
also goes for your lawn equipment when you store it too

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
we do harness work all the time and use seam rippers. Break the point off and use the other side with the ball so you dont pierce any wires

·
Registered
17,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
we do harness work all the time and use seam rippers. Break the point off and use the other side with the ball so you dont pierce any wires
I'll have to get a second one and break off the tip. I do use the sharp tip sometimes to get under the shrink wrap when it's tight.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You got the universal on the end of a long extension or swivel socket. It's just a bit to floppy to get onto the bolt head.

A couple wraps of electrical tape will stiffen it up.

·
Former RJ instigator
42,693 Posts
A small piece of tape over the socket opening then cram the nut bolt down on the socket, it'll keep it in place while you're fishing for the hole.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts