Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
AMP Racing member
3,427 Posts
I saw this... I want this...

I was told likely March or so before it is officially released into the wild. I need it by February. Maybe I can just wire the entire car and then plug it all into the box when it shows up.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
You're biggest issue is the antenna? I hope that's a joke. It's a standard wifi antenna. Like the antenna on any modem or router with wifi. Those work fine. So why is it all the sudden not good enough now? What are you expecting? A fully billet aluminum antenna engraved with your name and address?
You're a bit thick ?

A $5-6k system....with a cheap ass external antenna.

I can...and have bought travel routers to use WiFi with my ecu for £15. And they have no external antenna and work perfectly.
Likewise most plug in range extenders ( or routers ) at the home, no longer have silly external antenna

Perhaps that is beyond your understanding.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Even at a $1k system ( which you know it wont be )....there really is no need for that antenna if a £15 router works perfectly without one.

People seemed to manage to wreck their Holley's with a simple USB lead plugged in, another external fragile item like the antenna, is asking for people to damage it. ( through their negligence of course, but it does happen )

It does spoil the look of an otherwise good looking box.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,670 Posts
You're a bit thick ?

A $5-6k system....with a cheap ass external antenna.

I can...and have bought travel routers to use WiFi with my ecu for £15. And they have no external antenna and work perfectly.
Likewise most plug in range extenders ( or routers ) at the home, no longer have silly external antenna

Perhaps that is beyond your understanding.

I understand just fine. So you'd rather them make it more expensive so the antenna looks better, despite the fact that it works perfectly fine like it is and fulfills their need. That's what I'm hearing. Unneeded expense.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
does wifi work when enclosed in an alloy case?? most home routers are plastic this is not plastic..

im just going to put this on it, which you may never know may come supplied with them...

In lieu of anything on the case...and metal being an issue for something internal

A remote aerial via the main ecu connectors ( if that is possible ) would offer the stronger signal via better aerial placement, and remove any risk of damage from people bashing the antenna/socket or pulling it as some have done with their Holley USB lead/connector.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think it would be interesting to be able to watch live data during the run from track side or even the pits. That could prove to be very handy on something like a closed circuit car that you could tune during practice or even the race. Maybe that justifies the external antenna. I don't have a problem with it either way. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Couple notes, production units wont be aluminum cases. Those were prototypes, they will be plastic. The pdu is similar to a smartwire system with programmable circuit amps and whatnot. The units can be repaired. There are a few boards inside that if damaged can be swapped out like a stick of memory if something happens. The pinouts are not the same as the elite boxes. Harnesses won't swap. The wifi is cool. You can tune live. It will download your log file to your trailer/pc as soon as you come in range, no more waiting for 2 minutes to download your log. Like in 4 seconds apparantly. I advised them it would be nice to have a feature to keep logs in the ecu memory even after a download incase of a corrupt file. Maybe keep the last 4 logs in memory. We currently.use a 2500/rem and love it but this would be nice to simplify the car wiring and modules that typically are in these cars. It also can use a typical cable to tune instead of wifi but loads much much faster either way.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Cool, they were spotty on final details but aluminum would be nice for heat dissipation and rfi absorption

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Cool, they were spotty on final details but aluminum would be nice for heat dissipation and rfi absorption
RFI is not an issue, it has not been an issue with anything haltech back to the early days,
Andy has stated the RFI is way less with the PDM than injector drivers, he said external injector drivers are the worst of the worst lol

21 - 40 of 50 Posts