Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They did the classic bait and switch......kinda. Everyone thought the big news was the new full color digital dash. Well Thursday morning I get a Dealer Tech Bulletin about a new controller. It didn't give a lot of details but I made a bee line for the Haltech booth
WOW!!! They have not released them yet but it will be on a whole different level than anything else on the market. The features consist of but not limited to the following:

• A data logger
• A power distribution module
• A dual channel universal wideband controller
• A high speed wi-fi communications module
• A new generation engine management system
All natively interconnected with each other.
All programmable with one single piece of software.
NEXUS R5

Introducing NEXUS R5 – the new Haltech flagship product.

A product that will change the way you control your engine.

An ECU, PDM, wi-fi module, wideband controller and a data logger all in one.
NEXUS R5 Features:
• 18 x high current injector drivers
• 12 x ignition drivers
• 12 x 8A outputs
• 4 x 25A outputs
• 23 x AVI
• 10 x SPI
• 8 x DPO
• 2 x knock control
• 3 x independent CAN bus systems
• Dual DBW control
• Wireless communication
• 150 channel, 1kHz logging with 512MB of logging space
• Dual channel O2 wideband controller capable of running LSU4.9 and NTK sensors
• Auto transmission control
• A brand new, easy to use, intuitive software
The NEXUS series will supplement the existing Elite Series.
The Elite Series will continue to be developed and supported.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I'm trying to follow what all is in the single box. Are other boxes required and this is a hub? Is it all in that box? Is it a switching unit with relays? What is the interface? Is there a plug and play switch cluster?

EFI with injection, ignition and data collection is not at all new. The o2 drivers are nice. Trans control is a great feature too.

I have thought for some time that an all in one unit would be a great step. Unfortunately for NHRA competitors, you cannot incorporate the driveshaft data into the engine control ecu. Also would be nice to incorporate the delay box features, but those also have to be approved, independent boxes.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I'm trying to follow what all is in the single box. Are other boxes required and this is a hub? Is it all in that box? Is it a switching unit with relays? What is the interface? Is there a plug and play switch cluster?

EFI with injection, ignition and data collection is not at all new. The o2 drivers are nice. Trans control is a great feature too.

I have thought for some time that an all in one unit would be a great step. Unfortunately for NHRA competitors, you cannot incorporate the driveshaft data into the engine control ecu. Also would be nice to incorporate the delay box features, but those also have to be approved, independent boxes.
But to the rest of the world that could sure make some clean installations. Not all performance oriented stuff bows to NHRA. ;):LOL:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
It has some pros and cons....but a single expensive box that goes wrong......is it better than say 2 or 3 boxes that are cheaper to diagnose/repair/replace if something goes wrong ?
And sometimes 2 smaller units can simply wiring as the box can be mounted close to those devices/sensors/actuators. Whereas a single central box can mean longer wiring run of critical items likely bunched together which isnt so favourable in terms of interference etc.

As it's doing the job of a PDM and ECU...I can only imagine it will be very very expensive, but it is a novel idea and I'm sure it will suit a lot of people.

But biggest initial criticism....what a cheap ass antenna.

And I hope their connectors are capable of supplying the higher powered outputs they claim to have, instead of the bodged approach Motec etc use of sharing the load over multiple pins on the connector.

Game changer ? I doubt it unless the price is unbeatable and software something special.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts

Every ecu these days should have onboard wideband, and logging is a given. Just seems surprising it has only 512MB of memory.
Although whether it can take another 6 widebands, or EGT's is unanswered. EGT's are a glaring omission if not onboard.

And I'd like to hope there are no relays....

With most PDM's, there are various switch panel options, all fully configurable. Plug n Play....well, there are so many variables, tat's very open ended. But as with any PDM, you should be able to program any switch, to do pretty much anything within the unit.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Every ecu these days should have onboard wideband, and logging is a given. Just seems surprising it has only 512MB of memory.
Although whether it can take another 6 widebands, or EGT's is unanswered. EGT's are a glaring omission if not onboard.

And I'd like to hope there are no relays....

With most PDM's, there are various switch panel options, all fully configurable. Plug n Play....well, there are so many variables, tat's very open ended. But as with any PDM, you should be able to program any switch, to do pretty much anything within the unit.

Which ones have the driver for the heated o2's incorporated? My Racepak does not have this.(you either need the racepak module or a Ballenger or other unit to drive the heated o2 and supply readable data.) Nor does the Megasquirt. I don't know if any of them take raw data from thermocouples. My racepak has some sort of module that converts it to Vnet data. Vnet is a pretty slick system. Connect anywhere in the circuit and daisy chain them along. All you have anywhere is the vnet cable.

My comment about having onboard relays is to be able to supply high current users without having to add a relay somewhere. Dropping a bomb? I dunno. I see what others have already done, plus maybe a way to incorporate programmable switching with details to follow.

All I have learned from this thread that I didn't know a week ago when they announced this publically is that they don't bow down to the NHRA.
:D

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Even Holley now has onboard wideband,.

Syvecs I use have had it for well over a decade, as do many Motec ( and Comsync maybe ? )

Using external controllers for widebands, just lessens the abilities of any system ( unless they can be properly integrated with the ecu taking control and monitoring the sensor properly )
Onboard means it can diagnose faults better, and then have strategies to deal with it.
External...the ecu has almost no way of knowing what's going on with the sensor, all it sees is that basic analogue voltage. ( although some now use a serial datastream, which is an improvement as long as it can also report faults or issues to the ecu )

And no modern PDM uses relays, they're all solid state. That's one of the points of a PDM, to get rid of relays, get rid of fuses, to in some ways simplify things. All high and low current devices are controlled via the PDM.

My Syvecs has 2 onboard EGT's ( again, they've had that for well over a decade ), although it's easy to add another 8 via a fairly cheap CAN box. ( and again Comsync has 12 onboard ? )

But if the Nexus is a step up...all of the above should be included, nowadays those are fairly standard requests people want at a highish level. ( Of course there can be cheaper options too with less abilities )

In some respects the less boxes you have the better...that makes sense, but also having all your eggs in one basket if something fails within it....yes simple to replace, but perhaps very expensive.
But yes, this could simplify some aspects of wiring.. Just from source to device....which really doesnt get any easier. Whether it has enough high current outputs to really deal with demand...who knows.
When some run maybe 1 or two powerful fans, 2-3 fuel pumps, and now potentially electronic wastegates, it's very easy for there to be some serious load passing through such a unit, and the little pins in the connectors.

But without the skills....IMO it could make diagnosing problems trackside a little harder than simply changing a fuse, or relay. Which are easy for anyone to test and do. Yes the PDM should eliminate those problems....but in reality it wont. Problems and faults will still happen with cars.

With one of these ( and any PDM )....it will take someone competent with the system to do that diagnosis.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it looks like it blew up pretty big here too. Pricing not se yet but I have been reassured it will be less than the sum of thr parts it replaces. All switching is solid state and on board the main chassis. I would not be surprised if there are distributed power/control modules offered to supplement the architecture of the Smartwire system this will take the place of. I spoke in depth with one of the engineers about the need for additional logic/expressions to be written by the end user. He assured me that this was currently being worked on. There are 2 onboard WBO2 that can use NTK or Bosch LSU 4.9 sensors. Others can be added via one of three(3) available CAN networks. The new software will be a new offering above and beyond the current ESP platform. I hope they offer advanced logic and logical expressions in both software platforms. I wrote industrial process control code in multiple languages for almost 15yrs and feel like I made a strong case for being able to do more elaborate control with more than a custom table. It seemed to be well received and I think given a little time it will be added to both platforms. I am going to continue to push for it at every opportunity. I will be happy to try and answer any specific questions and I will be sure to announce when we get dealer pricing as well as any additional functionality.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
As long as programming the PDM side is more sensible than what Motec use. I've only looked at one Motec PDM and how it was configured for some fairly simple stuff. And I have to say, their programming setup is utterly terrible. Not user friendly at all.

Although how Andy's Adaptronic was, I'd expect the configuration to be more logical for this. His 1280 ecu had a full logic layout option for a lot of the control strategies, making it very flexible...as well as a more basic approach.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would expect them to take the best features of what's on the market and produce a superior product. They have been working closely with the Racepak Smartwire system and even sell them thru Haltech so I would assume much of the logical control will be at a minimum equivalent to the Smartwire system. I was also pushing for more logical control of regular outputs as well.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
PDM can deliver over 250amps total... more than pretty much everything on the market, all programmed through the same piece of spftware.

egt is as simple as plugging in the TCA8.

it will log 150 channels at 1000hz for over 20min, of course you don't log water temp at 1000hz so the total log time will be hours long... holley is very bad at allocating the log data hence it needs lots of space to log it,

haltech have copped shit for years for having multiable boxes so they fix the problem and now everyone goes oh should be in separate boxes... cant win sometimes.

this box is designed for race cars, one point of control, it does the control of everything with wifi connection so you don't even need a USB cable (it has USB comms if your tin foil hat it scared of wifi) yes its not for everyone...

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
When memory is so cheap, it does seem strange all ecu makers dont just dump in a load, whether needed or not.

But clearly several hours at a very high rate.....is perfectly adequate, or far far above most people will ever need..Well managed, 512mb IS a lot....and of course if fully utilised always gona download faster than 4gb.
That said.....if you can also log all of the PDM outputs too, which I'd hope, that would eat a little more bandwidth too.

But the PDM is much as other PDM's ? It'll run a basic race car.

Not sure if it has enough to run what I listed above...AND as a one box for all...run car lights, brake lights, indicators, wipers and basic car functions as well that people would need who strip out OEM wiring looms, but still need the car to be a car.

Although one question....We do see a lot of cars where they have alternators with fluctuating outputs, or maybe dropping a little with rpm or something.

I presume the PDM in no way is a voltage stabilisation unit ? ie. we cannot specify say 14v for outputs to pumps, coils, injectors etc, and expect it to stay there ? If voltage drops for whatever reason....it drops everywhere as a normal setup would ?

And I dont think anyone else asked, I presume for all the 16v guys....the device will be fine for that ?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
ok this is not designed for street cars... its a race car ecu, sure people will use it in street cars but things with wipers etc its not designed for, it is designed to have direct connection to every thing in a race car, IE transbrake, line lock, tail lights, head light, fuel pump, thermos fans etc, as well as having enough inputs and outputs to do what ever race car people want to do now and in the future,

voltage is fine up to 21v from memory, but I would have to confirm the exact voltage number..

yes you can log all inputs and outputs including voltage, current draw and frequency of the PDM outputs

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not much of a pdm is it looking at the specs?

And only 512mb with 1000hz logging?

I think the Holley is over 4gb internal now
I spoke at length with one of the head development guys at PRI about the unit especially concerning logic programming abilities beyond simple tables. Not just for PDM but also in engine management. I was assured it was coming. They are still writing base code for the system so the soft launch at PRI was just to get everyone's attention. I'm sure new features and functionality is being worked on as a direct result of people making reasonable requests and suggestions. Almost nobody on the outside knew about the product 24hrs before the start of the PRI Show so let's give it a little time and see what happens before passing judgment on basically a pre-production prototype. If we could get a sticky(if that's even possible now) with reasonable requests and suggestions Dale and/or I will forward it on to the Haltech development team.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I spoke at length with one of the head development guys at PRI about the unit especially concerning logic programming abilities beyond simple tables. Not just for PDM but also in engine management. I was assured it was coming. They are still writing base code for the system so the soft launch at PRI was just to get everyone's attention. I'm sure new features and functionality is being worked on as a direct result of people making reasonable requests and suggestions. Almost nobody on the outside knew about the product 24hrs before the start of the PRI Show so let's give it a little time and see what happens before passing judgment on basically a pre-production prototype. If we could get a sticky(if that's even possible now) with reasonable requests and suggestions Dale and/or I will forward it on to the Haltech development team.
this product came about from me dropping a promod style car off to get wired up by one of the staff at Haltech Sydney, they basically took everything they put in that car and said we can do this way better, that was 14 months ago, for the last 12 it has been in development,

I have been testing the NTK wideband for the last 6 races in my car, some people may have seen some pics with 3 sensors on each side.

The PDM will do pretty much what ever you want it to do with the use of generic style channels, the amp rating on it is constant load, not peak... have heard 60+ peak on the 25 amp channels but I have no tested this myself yet

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
512mb IS a lot....
a single 1/4 mile pass on my car with 80 channels logging is 678KB means I can do 750 odd passes on the new memory size before filling it up, half that for some faster speed and its 375, half it again for another 70 channels and its still 190 odd passes... that's more than enough logging even for ocean racing boats that race for a hour at a time...

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,529 Posts
It has some pros and cons....but a single expensive box that goes wrong......is it better than say 2 or 3 boxes that are cheaper to diagnose/repair/replace if something goes wrong ?
And sometimes 2 smaller units can simply wiring as the box can be mounted close to those devices/sensors/actuators. Whereas a single central box can mean longer wiring run of critical items likely bunched together which isnt so favourable in terms of interference etc.

As it's doing the job of a PDM and ECU...I can only imagine it will be very very expensive, but it is a novel idea and I'm sure it will suit a lot of people.

But biggest initial criticism....what a cheap ass antenna.

And I hope their connectors are capable of supplying the higher powered outputs they claim to have, instead of the bodged approach Motec etc use of sharing the load over multiple pins on the connector.

Game changer ? I doubt it unless the price is unbeatable and software something special.

You're biggest issue is the antenna? I hope that's a joke. It's a standard wifi antenna. Like the antenna on any modem or router with wifi. Those work fine. So why is it all the sudden not good enough now? What are you expecting? A fully billet aluminum antenna engraved with your name and address?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts