Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks. This has been an ongoing debate around the shop so now we can lay it to rest lol.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Last i knew 10pt cages don't certify. They are discretionary to the local track inspector. And yes, they do need gussets, somewhere in the rule book there is a sentence that says 'all butt welds need visible reinforcement'. What that means is that anytime you butt a piece of tubing to another it'll need some sort of reinforcement, such as the seat back brace is butted to the hoop, it is reinforced by the diagonal going to the frame connector. There are a lot of places in the car where you automatically do this without thinking what it is you are actually doing, like the diagonal tyeing the 2 back braces/downbars together or an X brace. Again, 10pt isn't certified it is up to the local track guy and so this rule is loosely enforced. Just get some 1" tubing and cut them to fit between the hoop and 'A' pillers etc and weld them in, they look sexy anyway.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Last i knew 10pt cages don't certify. They are discretionary to the local track inspector. And yes, they do need gussets, somewhere in the rule book there is a sentence that says 'all butt welds need visible reinforcement'. What that means is that anytime you butt a piece of tubing to another it'll need some sort of reinforcement, such as the seat back brace is butted to the hoop, it is reinforced by the diagonal going to the frame connector. There are a lot of places in the car where you automatically do this without thinking what it is you are actually doing, like the diagonal tyeing the 2 back braces/downbars together or an X brace. Again, 10pt isn't certified it is up to the local track guy and so this rule is loosely enforced. Just get some 1" tubing and cut them to fit between the hoop and 'A' pillers etc and weld them in, they look sexy anyway.
you sir,need to look into things a little deeper before you speak.;)

·
Sho'Nuff
5,366 Posts
if that's the case then every joint would have a gusset because they are all be butt-welded. 10 point cages DO certify, what do you think an 8.50 cage is? :confused:

·
Registered
545 Posts
An 8 pt. cage will certify to 8.50 in a full frame car. A but weld is when two pieces of tubing are placed end to end. Rule book states that all but welds must have visible reinforcement. It then offers options on how this can be done. The joints you are speaking of are not but welds..............Toni

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
An 8 pt. cage will certify to 8.50 in a full frame car. A but weld is when two pieces of tubing are placed end to end. Rule book states that all but welds must have visible reinforcement. It then offers options on how this can be done. The joints you are speaking of are not but welds..............Toni
there is NO such thing as an 8pt cage,8pt roll bar. But an 8pt roll bar will not cert to anything. Where are you people coming from? The gentlemen asked if a 10pt needed gusset's to cert ,thats it.:rolleyes:

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
Only if your joint is less than 75% welded, they're required.
Now the question inquiry minds want to know (not me, but others) do you have to weld the gussets 100%... :p

·
Registered
721 Posts
there is NO such thing as an 8pt cage,8pt roll bar. But an 8pt roll bar will not cert to anything. Where are you people coming from? The gentlemen asked if a 10pt needed gusset's to cert ,thats it.:rolleyes:
Obviously there is a terminology breakdown here, because I just did a 6 point cage in an S10 that certed and a bunch of 8 point cages that have certed, all for 8.50. My understanding of a "point" has always been where it attaches to the floor/frame. 2 A pillar bars, main hoop, 2 rear bars, and 2 diagonals from the main hoop to the subframe, where it applies, is all that is REQUIRED by NHRA for an 8.50 cert. Just say'n......;)

·
fabricator
1,172 Posts
Obviously there is a terminology breakdown here, because I just did a 6 point cage in an S10 that certed and a bunch of 8 point cages that have certed, all for 8.50. My understanding of a "point" has always been where it attaches to the floor/frame. 2 A pillar bars, main hoop, 2 rear bars, and 2 diagonals from the main hoop to the subframe, where it applies, is all that is REQUIRED by NHRA for an 8.50 cert. Just say'n......;)

It's just what you are calling it that has people confused. Most people call that a 10 point. Generally the door bars coming down to your A-pillar bars is still considered another point. It's just different terminology.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts