Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Dyslexic Lord of the Sith
3,630 Posts
After they have been scanned, uploaded to a hard drive and possibly a cloud network w/ proper security, keep them inside a secondary fire box inside the safe and store low in the safe to keep it away from heat but up high enough to keep it dry when the FD show up and flood your basement w/ 6" of water. When I pull the trigger, I'm going with Sturdy Safes. Nothing fancy, but it has steal where you need it, ignore the flashy 'signature finishes' on the front page.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/

No affiliation. For my needs I like the 3224. 5 handguns maybe 4-5 long guns currently but they're scoped and have funny stocks, so they need space.
There is no such thing as a cloud network with proper security. In fact a little known secret is that clouds typically have quite bad security protocols in place. The proper place for valuable papers is a safety deposit box. I would never ever upload sensitive documents to ANY WEB BASED SERVICE. You won't need them often enough anyways to warrant the immediate access of digital versions for the hit you take in security.

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
buy a safe from a business that is closing such as a jewelry store. I got one hell of a safe from a lawn & golf business that was closing for $400. The Gun safes such as Liberty seem to be all door and very thin sides, My safe has thick side walls,bottom and top filled with cement. My safe is about the size of a refrigerator and is every bit of 1300 lbs but it does not have the fancy paint and the big brass fancy wheel that you spin to open. For $400 I am sure I got a safe that was every bit of $7000 new

·
Trolling the Trolls
13,717 Posts
buy a safe from a business that is closing such as a jewelry store. I got one hell of a safe from a lawn & golf business that was closing for $400. The Gun safes such as Liberty seem to be all door and very thin sides, My safe has thick side walls,bottom and top filled with cement. My safe is about the size of a refrigerator and is every bit of 1300 lbs but it does not have the fancy paint and the big brass fancy wheel that you spin to open. For $400 I am sure I got a safe that was every bit of $7000 new
They paid to have you move the damn thing, LOL!

·
Registered
11,418 Posts
Jspin,

You mention possibly putting the safe in your garage. Be aware that temperature swings are not good for firearms and that condensation can ruin finishes in a hurry. I have a great spot in my shop for as big of a safe as I could ever want but I would never do that.
Unless I had a climate controlled safe.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Jspin,

You mention possibly putting the safe in your garage. Be aware that temperature swings are not good for firearms and that condensation can ruin finishes in a hurry. I have a great spot in my shop for as big of a safe as I could ever want but I would never do that.
Unless I had a climate controlled safe.
Valid point.

·
Age of Acquiescence
31,053 Posts
That would just be salt to the wound.

"hey we know someone stole your thousands of dollars worth of guns, but here is a free replacement thousand dollar box!"

:rolleyes:
:smt082 I think it's hilarious :smt082
Sorry guy, that we weren't able to secure your items, but here's a free replacement to try again.

Imagine if any of the Big3 could do this if your airbags didn't deploy

Sorry Mr Anderson that your family died, due to faulty airbag deployment.
We can give you another exact vehicle like it on us. Let us know, we got your back!!! :smt082

In all fairness, it's a good warranty but its a marketing tactic to give woo your sense of security and nothing more.
THe only thing that can truly secure your valuables is multi-layer security and a small response time for Law Enforcement on scene.
Plan around that guys, don't ever rely on a box that's breachable alone.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
On the topic of this stuff, does anyone have experience with Collectibles Insurance Services? They were featured on ASP and supposedly no SN etc are required unless you cross 25k in value.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Most important point in this thread is stacking security.
Safe>alarm system>cameras>dog(s) Etc etc.

·
Registered
11,418 Posts
Buy a Graffunder safe and call it a day! Made in the USA (WA state)
Graffunder is local to me, and I’ve seen many of their safes.

They are in a class by themselves, but most of them are well over 1000 pounds, and kinda difficult to buy, and install for obvious reasons.

If I was building my own high-end home, incorporating a Graffunder at the early stages of design would be awesome.

Some of their safes use a solid plate of steel (an inch thick on some) that the door is laser cut out of so the entire front of the safe is completely flush (no rolled edges) and the door gap can be measures with a couple business cards. Try getting a pry bar in that!

Yea, they put others to shame.

·
Registered
11,418 Posts
Regarding Liberty and the USA series 36 I just bought....
I’ve done a fair amount of upgrading/mods to it but the two most important are.......

1) The door frame. Liberty incorporates two adjustable plastic ‘flanges’ to take up door slop from the inside of the door frame. This is an exceedingly weak and cheesy solution to not having to manufacture the door fit to tighter tolererances. It means if you can get a pry bar started it will be very easy to break these flanges then the burglar is rewarded with a full 1/4” of door slop to work with... Unacceptable.

My answer was to epoxy 4 feet of 1/2 iron pipe in the door flange to take up this slop and remove the plastic flanges. Now all 5 hardened locking bars locate on the pipe, rather than just 2 locating on the plastic flanges. You just need to be careful to get YOUR door slop correct (essentially zero, but not jammed) easy, but work carefully.

2) the SecuRam e-lock is kinda cheap———most all e-locks are. I replaced it with a SecuRam XTreme dual function lock. It’s not cheap, but it’s an e-lock with a mechanical dial backup that’s pretty well made. Gives you the benefit of both worlds, and most importantly eliminates that worry that you will try to open an e-lock and it simply WONT open. Then you are screwed. This is viable answer to that.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
I agree with Dom. Look for stores going out of business especially a jewelry store. Or you can search the web for used safes.

I did and found the perfect safe and for less than a grand. It was a data safe. Was all set to call and buy it until I found the part that said it weighed in excess of 6000lbs. That is not a typo.

Interior would have been about the same size as the unit I bought on sale at Scheel's.

·
Registered
11,418 Posts
I agree with Dom. Look for stores going out of business especially a jewelry store. Or you can search the web for used safes.

I did and found the perfect safe and for less than a grand. It was a data safe. Was all set to call and buy it until I found the part that said it weighed in excess of 6000lbs. That is not a typo.

Interior would have been about the same size as the unit I bought on sale at Scheel's.
Yep.....cement is heavy. In some cases it’s a great way to go, but a unit big enough for rifles (most business safes are not) can get damn heavy real quick.
I’ve changed to combo on old dial locks (Sargent & Greenleaf) before, that actually pretty easy, so the thought that the previous owner has the combo shouldn’t stop a person.

If you take the topic to the extreme and look at banks, their vaults ARE really about the door, with an incredible structure built around it during construction. The vault isn’t a big pre-made box cause it simply would be too big and heavy.

·
Registered
13,952 Posts

Thats a real freaking safe, not the fancy gold pinstriped high gloss painted gun safes with a fancy door that are commonly sold that can be opened with a sawz-all. The best part is that you can buy them for pennies on the dollar and for way less than a Liberty type safe. That data safe has a fire rating that 10 Liberty safes combined could not match. My safe is also a data safe with a fire door inside

·
Age of Acquiescence
31,053 Posts

THAT IS A SAFE!!!!!

But holy fook man, where the hell do you even put something like that in a residential home ?
How do you even get it INTO the home without destroying a slab foundation, or a multi-level home ?? LOL
Hell how did you get it OUT of the place you bought it from ??

Something that heavy would have some pretty serious requirements for a platform, that
the average home isn't built for. You're taking what amounts to an F150 Crew Cab and
putting it on a ~3x3 or thereabouts footprint. LOL

You'd need a crane and no roof to install it anywhere :smt082

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
THAT IS A SAFE!!!!!

But holy fook man, where the hell do you even put something like that in a residential home ?
How do you even get it INTO the home without destroying a slab foundation, or a multi-level home ?? LOL
Hell how did you get it OUT of the place you bought it from ??

Something that heavy would have some pretty serious requirements for a platform, that
the average home isn't built for. You're taking what amounts to an F150 Crew Cab and
putting it on a ~3x3 or thereabouts footprint. LOL

You'd need a crane and no roof to install it anywhere :smt082
Plan was to put it in the shop. Then the reality of paying a rigging company to move it set in.
Would have been killer. Nothing says get bent to a thief than opening the first door then finding out you're facing the exact same thing. No way to cut through them either as the walls are over a foot thick.

Your house could burn to powder and the contents won't exceed 120 Fahrenheit.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts