Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been putting off buying a quality safe for years now, and I think it's time.

I would like to have space for about 10 long guns, and roughly the same amount of handguns. What sizes should I be looking at? I also have piles of ammo, not sure where that fits into the equation.

I don't have kids, so I am mostly concerned about theft and fire. I understand that any thief with enough motivation is going to get my stuff, so where to draw the line? A lot of the "fire proofing" I've read about sounds kinda hoaky, so what should I be looking for?

I'd like to keep it under 3k, but am certainly happy to spend less.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Host is a douche but store owner knows his shit...

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,822 Posts
Liberty, fire rated 45-60 minutes.

Min. ammo in the safe, keep it elsewhere.

U shape for the long guns, then shelves for the pistols or hang on the door.

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,822 Posts
After looking at Liberty, what they have now is nothing like what I bought, but that was 25+ years ago. I do need a bigger one though. The guns I inherited from Dad aren't really valuable, so I will get a less safe for them.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After looking at Liberty, what they have now is nothing like what I bought, but that was 25+ years ago. I do need a bigger one though. The guns I inherited from Dad aren't really valuable, so I will get a less safe for them.
Liberty does have a location near me, so I will give them a look. I've heard similar stories of sliding quality, but have also heard they have great service.

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Where to start? Start with one twice as big as you think you need. I have an Amsec with the top fire rating I could get at the time.

·
Registered
55,073 Posts
But a good safe. Liberty is not a good safe, they are cheap as shit (basically a thin sheetmetal box). Buy twice as big as you need (the capacity ratings provided are overstated by about 50%).

Look for made in USA, plate steel, and overall weight. I have American Security (Amsec) is a very good safe. I also have a Superior, and it is a bit more robust than my Amsec. Both good safes.

Expect to pay at least $3000 for a fire rated safe. Buy from a safe dealer, not a discount retailer.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
But a good safe. Liberty is not a good safe, they are cheap as shit (basically a thin sheetmetal box). Buy twice as big as you need (the capacity ratings provided are overstated by about 50%).

Look for made in USA, plate steel, and overall weight. I have American Security (Amsec) is a very good safe. I also have a Superior, and it is a bit more robust than my Amsec. Both good safes.

Expect to pay at least $3000 for a fire rated safe. Buy from a safe dealer, not a discount retailer.
Agree with everything else you said 110% except that liberty safes are junk.
Not accurate in my opinion. Are they the best on the market?...nope.
Are they junk?....nope. I have a liberty and am quite pleased with it.
It’s a fine safe. Again, I agree 110% with every other point you made.

A safe is nothing more than the illusion of safety anyway. If someone wants your shit they are getting it unless you spend. 1000’s and 1000’s of dollars on a safe.

Most any residential grade safe can be opened up like a tin can in short order.

·
Registered
16,336 Posts
I just went through this.

I had parameters of....
Max footprint: 25 x36
Max weight: 600 pounds (I live way out in the country and had to lift this 5 steps up to living area)
Max cost: $1500

Keep in mind what you are really buying is time, and perhaps wilingness of the burglar to even try to open the safe.

I ended up with a Liberty USA 36x22. They call it a 36 gun safe which is a joke, but everyone knows about that.
I currently have 11 rifles and 8 handguns and it holds those beautifully. After 1 more rifle things will be getting tight.

It’s a 12 gauge body. The burglars method of choice these days is to use cordless cutting wheels to open a window in the side of the safe. Thicker steel just adds time to the task. And it quickly adds weight. A 900 pound safe is a serious undertaking to move into position, if you can do it, great. Many people can’t.

I improved the door frame on my liberty on the inside with iron pipe, but that’s a different discussion. I also installed a SecuRam Xtreme lock that is both an e-lock AND a dial combo (plan B if the e lock fails).

If you are looking into high end units (your $3000 budget is pretty high) make sure to look at Graffunder....they make some serious stuff.

·
Registered
16,336 Posts
Liberty is a mid grade safe. Far from high end, but also far better than Stack-on crap and brands like Kodak, Bighorn etc.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
No matter what safe you use if somebody wants in it they will get in it. A couple of guys took a local man and wife hostage to make him open it when they couldn't.

Does anybody know of an add on for inside a safe to make it more fire proof for important papers?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I live on a cul de sac and have a 1000 foot long driveway with a house you cant see from the street.

There is no safe that I couldnt open with the tools in my garage.

There is no safe that a burglar with a few hours to spare couldnt open with the tools in my garage.

I have a crappy safe but I have good insurance.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Does anybody know of an add on for inside a safe to make it more fire proof for important papers?
After they have been scanned, uploaded to a hard drive and possibly a cloud network w/ proper security, keep them inside a secondary fire box inside the safe and store low in the safe to keep it away from heat but up high enough to keep it dry when the FD show up and flood your basement w/ 6" of water. When I pull the trigger, I'm going with Sturdy Safes. Nothing fancy, but it has steal where you need it, ignore the flashy 'signature finishes' on the front page.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/

No affiliation. For my needs I like the 3224. 5 handguns maybe 4-5 long guns currently but they're scoped and have funny stocks, so they need space.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
After they have been scanned, uploaded to a hard drive and possibly a cloud network w/ proper security, keep them inside a secondary fire box inside the safe and store low in the safe to keep it away from heat but up high enough to keep it dry when the FD show up and flood your basement w/ 6" of water. When I pull the trigger, I'm going with Sturdy Safes. Nothing fancy, but it has steal where you need it, ignore the flashy 'signature finishes' on the front page.

No affiliation. For my needs I like the 3224. 5 handguns maybe 4-5 long guns currently but they're scoped and have funny stocks, so they need space.
That floor plate they have is interesting. I currently use a fireproof box inside a safe. It takes up a lot of space.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
I live on a cul de sac and have a 1000 foot long driveway with a house you cant see from the street.

There is no safe that I couldnt open with the tools in my garage.

There is no safe that a burglar with a few hours to spare couldnt open with the tools in my garage.

I have a crappy safe but I have good insurance.
That's the same with me on all counts.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Stay away from the electronic safes. Get the old school combination lock. I know of two people that have had failures on the electronic ones. My cousin is one and she had papers important to her business stored in the gunsafe and couldn't open it without a locksmith. Lucky she didn't need a gun.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I came across these guys in my research, I like their view on things. Only a few hours from me as well.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
First off be honest about how much protection you really need. Anything sold as a "Gun Safe" us infact a Residential Security Container (RSC). Real Safes cost about 7-10x what an RSC cost. RSCs are very limited for protection against a competent foe with even the simplest tools.... you can cut thru the side or back of an RSC in about 10mins with a 4" angle grinder. Most all are just a sheetmetal and concrete board (for fire protection) box with a snazzy looking door locking mechanism and nice paint job.

Honesty RSCs are usually more more than enough protection considering they are inside a locked home... and not many master burglers want to fence a bunch of hot common firearms.

You can increase your protection buy adding a lock on the door to the room the RSC with all your guns inside is in and bolting it to the floor.... as well as situating the RSC in a corner against 2 solid walls so that only the door and one side are accessible.

Of course buy bigger than your current needs and don't buy into the "24 gun safe" actually can fit 24 guns shit.... because it depends alot on what kind of guns you are putting in there and what kind of organization you are capable of.

I currently have a Big Horn from Costco. Had it for 11yrs and no problem with the electronic lock. Have replaced the 9v battery 1 time. Bought my father the Winchester from Tractor Supply 8-9 yrs ago.. its damn near the same box as my Big Horn just a different color. Same deal with his electronic lock. No problems and 1 battery change so far.

Will

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,822 Posts
RSC in a closet, bolted to concrete floor, no access to sides of the safe unless you tear down walls, that was how my Liberty at old house was installed.

1/4" plate on the door, sides unknown. 60" x 24" x 22" with handles removed. Biggest that would fit through the door of my mobile home trailer I was living in at time of purchase.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts