Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leave a 9mm Keltec concealed in my car. I wonder how hot before a round goes off? I guess I should leave the windows half open.

·
102,312 Posts
I leave a 9mm Keltec concealed in my car. I wonder how hot before a round goes off? I guess I should leave the windows half open.
I have a loaded 45 in my car here in Texas heat. It has been in there the last 4 months.

Hope that helps.

·
Dick for hire
17,960 Posts
The gun would melt if it got hot enough to cook off a round. Its not going off due to a hot car. Not a chance. None. Absolutely 0.

·
هدية الل
3,376 Posts
It would have to catch on fire to literally shoot the round,put some bullets in the oven,they get pushed out of the casing and dont actually fire.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It would have to catch on fire to literally shoot the round,put some bullets in the oven,they get pushed out of the casing and dont actually fire.
C'mon now ... didnt you watch the movie RED w/ Bruce Willis? :smt082

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
SW J frame in the hot Florida sun, never a discharge.
Even in a black car.
I dont know the exact temp, but it would have to be on fire for your gun to go off from ambient air.

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
I still dont think it would fire. Test it.:p
The case is captured in the chamber. The only outlet for powder burn when it ignites will be to send the bullet out the pipe. I don't need to test it, I've been in this game for many years. Yes, when a cartridge is over heated and not in a contained environment the case will just lay open.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just started putting a round in the chamber so after this, I need to add another round in the mag. Thanks for the help

·
هدية الل
3,376 Posts
The case is captured in the chamber. The only outlet for powder burn when it ignites will be to send the bullet out the pipe. I don't need to test it, I've been in this game for many years. Yes, when a cartridge is over heated and not in a contained environment the case will just lay open.
Like i said,Hot air wont cause the primer to go off or the gunpowder to combust by itself,it would take an open flame.

·
Dick for hire
17,960 Posts
Like i said,Hot air wont cause the primer to go off or the gunpowder to combust by itself,it would take an open flame.
Yes, it will. But it would have to be very, very, very hot. Way hotter than anything you're going to find in a hot car.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
A little off topic, but I can tell you the first time I was inside fighting a house fire and the guy's ammo cache started lighting off - it got your attention. Intuitively, you know you're fine, but that's a lot of noise around you in that environment.

·
هدية الل
3,376 Posts
Yes, it will. But it would have to be very, very, very hot. Way hotter than anything you're going to find in a hot car.
Thats kinda funny because in a 500 degree oven they didnt combust,it just pushed the bullet out of the casing,And the gun powder just spilled out a lil bit...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts