Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Willie Reils. (did I spell that right??).

He's the dude that Built Pat Musi's first 2 green cars. I knew he was doing small stuff here & there, but I stopped by my buddies Vette place & there he was tinkering on stuff.

:cool::cool::cool:

Bob

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
Wow I thought he was long since retired. I saw one of those cars quite a bit at events. It was a nice chassis and Pat had it running well.

·
Eddie Haskell
7,850 Posts
Willie Rells

I hung out at his shop some when I was in San Diego. Super nice guy.

Unlike this squid that calls himself Footbraker.

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is retired. I think the stuff he does it mostly to keep himself busy. he was over @ one of the local engine shops showing them how to build chassis (how exactly that happened Im not entirely sure), but they built 3 REALLY nice Rustangs. IIRC, 2 are outlaw & one was a radial car. I was pressed for time, so I did not stick around & chat with him.

Bob

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I was thinking about posting something like that to bust Bobs balls... but then I realized I would look like an asshole if i did so I refrained. it's always cool to meet someone new and old at the same time
x'2........I wish I had thee honor of meeting someone like that!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I have worked on a few of his cars, Very advanced designs for the time they were built.

There is one of them running in Extreme 10.5 regularly right now.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The Partial History of Rells

I had WIllie build me a tube car in 1980.....comp eliminator car.

It was built in Willies Shop...He did not build it......Gary Hansen built it of Hansens race cars today.

Willie had been copying cars in his garage...quit his job..Built this new shop in SD Ca. Hired Gary Hansen or Hanson

Willie was a great copier...he could copy anything which is of equal talent. Willie was not an innovator...good tin man however....beautiful sheet metal work.....My interior was all Magnisium which NHRA eventually banned........car weighed 1950 pounds ready to race with a lenco and small block....David Reher came over to a race to ask me if Lee Shepard could sit in my car.......I said yes of course.......Lee Shepard looks at me as he sits in my car and says "aint enough bars in here for me" then walked away.

This was the first of the 81 Camaro body styles. I had one before prostock and it was about a foot lower then the pro stock world at that time.

Gary Hansen built the car......Wilie got the credit which he still deserved. He hired Gary

Where did Gary Hansen come from you might ask.......From the guy who invented the four link for drag racing Ron Butler..Ron Butler was a Kiwi...Lots of good engineers come from there. Gary learned his trade then from Ron Butler...who built the fast prostockers from the left coast in the late seventies....like alot of fast Chryslers...Butch Leal...California Flash etc.

Willie is a very humble nice guy.......we took the car to Fremont Ca sraight from Willies shop with Willie and set the NHRA B/FX record on the first pass........Willie looks at me and says :" that was easy John lets go home..."

That car went on to set about 10 NHRA records and won National and division events...I had every comp eliminator car owner mad at me.....why>> because all of their cars were out of date when that Rells car hit the track......They all came up to me and said I ruined comp eliminator...HA HA...Look at it today!!

Thought you guys might want the rest of the story.

After the first race I attended...........which by the way won best engineered........Willie took orders for about 20 cars!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts