Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone offer any type of guarentee on the performance work they do? I do some side jobs and so far they have been for mostly people that I at least kind of know so I haven't had any problems but now someone that doesn't know me is asking for me to write up some kind of contract:cool: stating that I am responsible for anything related to the install. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not trying to get out of fixing something I mess up but I just don't want to be held responsible for something that I cannot control. Any ideas? Or what do you guys do for customers?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I do alot of diesel work on the side, i`ve always garaunteed my labor and thats it, I had a guy try to sue me recently cause his tranny went out a couple days after I installed head studs, an s485 and a efilive tune in his duramax after I told him several times the mod`s would melt his tranny.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Does anyone offer any type of guarentee on the performance work they do? I do some side jobs and so far they have been for mostly people that I at least kind of know so I haven't had any problems but now someone that doesn't know me is asking for me to write up some kind of contract:cool: stating that I am responsible for anything related to the install. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not trying to get out of fixing something I mess up but I just don't want to be held responsible for something that I cannot control. Any ideas? Or what do you guys do for customers?
That damn near sounds like a set up, give them a polite,,, no thank you and refer them to someone down the road

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
Guarantee your labor!...

However, IF you sold the combination to the person on the pretext of it making X amount of power, you're gonna need to be able to at least get close to your estimate!...

IF you're just installing components supplied by the customer, installation labor is your guarantee (generally)!... :cool:

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Mostly my work is done on atv's and m/c's but i guarantee my work.Even if im doing car work i still guarantee it.Got alot of customer's over the year's by doing this.Now if they screw it up it's their baby,but if it is mine i fix it.

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
That damn near sounds like a set up, give them a polite,,, no thank you and refer them to someone down the road
^^^ This!... ^^^

There's plenty of appreciative customers out there!...
This customers sounds like a headache you just simply need to avoid!... :cool:

·
Registered
9,744 Posts
I'm a Gen Contractor and I guarantee everything we do for a min of 1 year,,5 years on paint work.

I'd be VERY leery of the guy that wants a contract. But if you write it up , you should be able to word it so you cover your ass.

·
Senior Frog
10,334 Posts
I give a 2 year warranty on everything I we touch,im a contractor......I get a few calls a year for warranty work
I fix it no biggie,even if its not my fault its usually a quick fix and I let them know whats up and
I'll fix it for free this time (as long as its a quick fix) but if it happens again its on their dime -
Being a prick about it gets you a shitty reputation....Bad words travel 10x faster than good words

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
I predict that if you sign the contract, work on the engine and the rear view mirror falls off a year later, it's on you to repair it.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
IMO you better walk away from this guy. I have been doing this a long time and I promise you this guy is going to be big trouble for you. I am assuming that you are doing some type of performance work. My guess is that he has been to every shop in town and wrecked everything ever done for him beacuse he didn't listen. He is now sick and tired of getting ripped off and he is trying to make sure the next time he brakes something you are going to pay for his mistake, not him.

I make sure my customers know that I stand behind what I do. But if a part breaks, it breaks. I will do what ever I can do to help out in this situtation, but i will not foot the entire bill.

Keith

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I'm not in the business, but as a consumer I wouldn't expect such a guarantee, particularly if all you did was the install. It's simple---like any other work you've done, once it leaves the shop, you can't controlwhat happens to it. If he's looking for a guarantee, I'd pass or tell him flat-out---no guarantees on performance work.........

·
Registered
165 Posts
The way I look at it is there is no warranty in race parts / performance parts. I have had stuff come back and have taken care of it to be nice and not start anything, but that is a unwritten rule I have with the places I deal with. If it is something I mess up I take care of it and we move forward.

On the other hand you have customers that are just a pain in the ass and complain about everything and anything that has been done. Even if you touched it on their car or not, it was in your shop so now it is your fault. It is a double edged sword really.

A example is have a customer, dyno car stock and after work was done. It made close to 90 rwhp more when said and done. He goes to the track went .2 faster in the 1/4 with a increase of like 10 or 15 mph. It is my fault that he didn't go much faster but he will not understand that the 60 ft has dropped around 3 tenths on it's own, went from like 1.7 to 2.0. Some people no matter what you do you can't please.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
a Daily Driver yes 12month 12thousand miles... a race car no phucking way sign a contract lmfao run and send him on his way

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,409 Posts
Need more info on the type of work it will be, but if he's coming at you asking to sign a contract then he'll be trouble later. It may just be that he got fucked by someone, but if you have to start signing shit to protect the customer then it's not worth doing it as a side job.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
RUN!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I talked to him again and I think I took what he said the wrong way. He is just wanting a guarentee on the work which I understand and I kinda have one but its just not in writing. Lol....so do you guys have a written guarentee or is it just verbal? Also do you have them sign anything protecting yourself?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts