Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GT47 BB 88 mm. I´m thinking of upgrade the compressorwheel to a billet one.Does someone know anything about it, or have any experience, does it have any benefits? If it´s worth it or wasted money?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Their is NO advantage of a billet comp wheel over a cast wheel other then strength if design is the same. Billet is used for setups that are extreme on pressure. Cast wheels sometimes deflect under high pressures so you get blade folding which is not good. So billet wheels cure that.....but on gas applications you don't see those types of pressures. We only see them on some of our customers pulling tractors and trucks which see pressures over 100psi on a big single with LOTS of fuel. Diesels are a different animal though. If you want a billet unit with a little more flow, then move up to the EZ-94X billet turbo. Flows awesome, and almost drops into a GT47 stance.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Normally the billit wheels are good for another 5 psi over the cast wheels

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
the billet wheel is more effiecient that the cast wheel due to casting imperfections and variations,also the billet wheels are designed with a different pitch to flow more air.If your wanting to upgrade to a billet wheel,let me know,costs around 800.00

·
Registered
429 Posts
Their is NO advantage of a billet comp wheel over a cast wheel other then strength if design is the same. Billet is used for setups that are extreme on pressure. If you want a billet unit with a little more flow, then move up to the EZ-94X billet turbo.
I love that you make the 94 now. What is the reason for using the billet wheel? Is it cheaper to make then cast or ?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I love that you make the 94 now. What is the reason for using the billet wheel? Is it cheaper to make then cast or ?

The old cast wheel version was dated and we wanted a new design. No one was making one, so we had to improvise with our buddies at GT...lol

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
the billet wheel is more effiecient that the cast wheel due to casting imperfections and variations,also the billet wheels are designed with a different pitch to flow more air.If your wanting to upgrade to a billet wheel,let me know,costs around 800.00
Pitch maybe...only if an aftermarket wheel designed specifically for an application, but casting imperfections are actually less in a cast wheel then a billet. Since billet leaves tooling marks on every blade face and especially at the exducer level their is actually more surface imperfections on the billet.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I guess Harry at Precision doesnt know what he's talking about then.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I guess Harry at Precision doesnt know what he's talking about then.

Well since we deal with the engineers that build and design the wheels....I take their word for it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Their is NO advantage of a billet comp wheel over a cast wheel other then strength if design is the same. Billet is used for setups that are extreme on pressure. Cast wheels sometimes deflect under high pressures so you get blade folding which is not good. So billet wheels cure that.....but on gas applications you don't see those types of pressures. We only see them on some of our customers pulling tractors and trucks which see pressures over 100psi on a big single with LOTS of fuel. Diesels are a different animal though. If you want a billet unit with a little more flow, then move up to the EZ-94X billet turbo. Flows awesome, and almost drops into a GT47 stance.
'
This is from PTE
Precision Turbo has revolutionized turbos as we know them today. Instead of taking a turbo that isn't necessarily made for racing and making it work, Precision developed their own billet wheel turbos specifically made for the drag racing circuit.

Precision Turbo is proud to introduce its line of optional billet compressor wheels for its HP Technology® line of turbochargers. After countless hours of research, engineering and development, Precision has produced a billet compressor wheel that will improve efficiency, airflow and power of its already race-proven line of turbochargers. Produced by a highly specialized CNC machining process, using aerospace grade aluminum, these compressor wheels are truly on the cutting edge of aerodynamic technology.

These new billet wheel turbos will allow you to make boost faster and even weigh less then the Garrett series turbos. Compared to our old GT-55 91mm turbos that we ran on our Outlaw 10.5 car, the new Precision Pro Mod 90mm billet turbos are a completely different animal. Not only is the discharge side of the exhaust housing setup for a v-band flange & clamp but the inlet side is also fitted for a v-band connection instead of the old rectangular style we accepted as a standard.

These new billet wheel turbos will give you the competitive edge in today's heads up racing classes. Instead of bending or breaking the rules with a necked down turbo, use one or two of these new Precision billet wheel turbos to supply plenty of power to put you on top of your class.

These new Precision billet wheel turbos can be ordered from 88-114mm sizes.
Call today to place your order!

·
Registered
645 Posts
There is at least one major advantage to it that hasn't been posted here, but I don't believe it is my place to tell. Whether it is worth it or not comes down to a number of things such as how well you've maxed out your current combination and if you're restricted by any class rules/turbo restrictions.

- Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.