Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
**BOOSTED SBF***
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just got a brand new Shelby and called me out for tomorrow afternoon at our local 1/8 mile track. It seems that all my friends want to call me out now that I have what I would call a "street" car. The Shelby owner went all out too, he got new wheels and a set of drag radials just to pick on my poor little 89. I will try to post some video and photos after the big showdown tomorrow night. The plan is to each get a test pass and then run a best two out of three if it's even close.

I honestly don't think he knows how well my little "parts" car runs so my test pass may be a n/t.;) I'm sure his will be too and if he can get the Shelby to hook, it might be a good race.:smt100 It's all in fun but I did change wheels and tires too and hope to leave on the t/b instead of foot braking. I'm supposed to be running another mod motor nitrous car with a similar trans and suspension setup to mine next weekend too. We changed the gear yesterday to run that car last night in the 1/4 but it was rained out so I guess it's at least another week before I can start "parting" this thing out.:wink:

The Shelby owner first said he didn't want to run and now he's calling me out at our local 1/8 mile track. I'm sure he has more up his sleeves than new wheels and tires but I still can't wait. This type of thing reminds me of the old days when everyone just took their street cars to the track, talked a lot of crap, and made a few hundred dollar grudge races.:p We both agreed to be there so I guess it's on unless the weather doesn't cooperate. I will share the results either good or bad with you guys later in the day. Maybe the nitrous car will be there too.:cool:

I think I posted a thread a week or so back telling about my new "parts" car. It's an 89 Mustang with a 302 and an S trim Vortech. I purchased it more for the suspension and supercharger than anything else but it's to much fun not to play with a little before taking it all apart. I'm working on another car for the street and could get this t/k car cheaper than just buying all the parts it came with. It has a tubular K-Member, A-Arms, c/c plates, new 4 wheel disk brakes, 5 lug 8.8 with axles and a locker. The rear suspenion is all adjustable and has spherical bushings. I know it's not really a fast car like many of the rides here but I would still call it a sleeper right now. There is no way to hide the blower and adding a set of Aluma-Stars didn't help the "sleeper" look but it did help the weight. The little motor is nothing special. It's basically a stock bottom end with ARP fastners and forged pistons. It has 42lb injetors, TFS twisted wedge heads, Anderson blower cam, cobra intake and makes a boost/block limited 488hp at the tires. It has a manual shift pt/tb C4 and 3500 converter. Everything looked good on the dyno and we all figure this power level is a fairly "safe" number. 500+ is usually disaster for a stock block so we stopped there and kept a good A/F ratio. It ran low 11's just like it's shown in the pics the last time it was out but it was running out of gear at about 1000 ft. (1.38 short time and 7.01 to the 1/8 with the 17" wheels and radials in the pics below so it should easily hit the 10's the next time we run 1/4 mile)

This is my JUNK. It's okay to laugh. I don't think it's all that pretty either.:p

Fiberglass hood and fenders. (ugly?...maybe but the little car is pretty light after adding the Aluma-Stars)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Trust me on this, you should take him easy. I own a gt500, stock as of right now. It doesn't even compare to my 95 cobra with 327 and s-trim, it put out 475rwhp with pegged mass air meter. Also ran aod 3200 stall similar to yours.

I hope he has a aftermarket blower or some n20 to compete. Even if he had lets say a stage 2 setup with pulley, he may have 540rwhp. Now he has to compensate for at least the 500-700 pound difference between the cars. Your car will be much easier to hook also, gt500s are hard to get off the line. It will be fun either way, I love my gt500 and wouldn't trade it for anything, my 95 cobra was fun also, but that shit was broke down more than running. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good Luck.....I don't think you have anything to worry about with the 500 or the nitrous car!
Think they will come calling when the turbo car is finished :-D
Give me a call later, I will be home all day Sunday.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
i wonder who helped them develop that??

·
**BOOSTED SBF***
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Shelby ended up being a no show today but that may have been a good thing. We actually slowed down 2 1/2 tenths after the change to 3.55 gears but I don't think that was the real reason for the car slowing down.

We discovered that the UPR spherical bushings in the rearend housing on my car are shot.:smt073They will need to be replaced if I expect to see any good short time numbers. They were allowing positive pinion angle since they are real sloppy and that just killed the 60ft. numbers. It also made most of 1st and second gears a smoke show too. I don't know if I'm going to spend a lot of time or money working on this car since I really just got it for the parts anyway. It would have been nice to make a couple of hits against my friend's cars but these guys that called me out may just have to wait for me to roll the Saleen back out and race it instead.:cool:

I had such high expectations for the car today since we added slicks as well as the higher gears but as soon as I let go of the transbrake button, I knew something wasn't quite right. It just smoked the tires at the hit and never really recovered. It ran okay numbers but nothing like what I was expecting.:confused:

No video because the only runs we made were singles and nobody thought about taking the camera to the line. We tried to leave off the footbrake to see if that would help but that slowed it down even more. Oh well, I guess it wasn't supposed to happen topday sorry guys. I will post some pics in another thread when we start putting the Saleen back together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts