Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family just adopted a Great Dane from a rescue yesterday. I've done a lot of research on them before we got her but there is so many different opinions on brand of food to feed them and what protein/ fat % it should have. Any recommendations from Great Dane owners would be welcomed.

We want her to have the best since her early life was very bad. The assholes that had her before the rescue took her in used her as a bait dog for their fighting pitbulls. She was severely emancipated and in very bad shape. She is well on her way to good health. She definitely deserves the best.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Had one years ago, leave them in the house and things get chewed up, they need to run hope you have a big yard, good luck.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Congratulations on the adoption and always remember, you are her hero! Unfortunately I don't know what the Great Danes food requirements are so I can't help you there but I did have to congratulate you for stepping up to the plate for her and being a true blessing of her future. Give her all the love you can spare while you can so as to show her that she really is here for a reason. YOU!:D

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
I've owned two danes my male is 7 years old. First 4 years of feeding isn't to bad but after that as they start getting older they can start getting over weight. Depends how active but they are coach dogs. I live on 7 acres mine never run it. I also let them live inside nothing is chewed up. The puppy years were just the opposite. I feed mine purina one or pro blend. They only eat once a day about 8 to 10 cups. I leave it out that's all they eat. I've fed them boiled chicken as well. My female was 168 at one time and lived just past 12 years old. What ever you do don't let them run before or after eating or drinking. Their stomach can flip happened to my female at 9 years old cost me 6k to save her life. Wait about 30 minutes or so

·
Banned
16,548 Posts
I've owned two danes my male is 7 years old. First 4 years of feeding isn't to bad but after that as they start getting older they can start getting over weight. Depends how active but they are coach dogs. I live on 7 acres mine never run it. I also let them live inside nothing is chewed up. The puppy years were just the opposite. I feed mine purina one or pro blend. They only eat once a day about 8 to 10 cups. I leave it out that's all they eat. I've fed them boiled chicken as well. My female was 168 at one time and lived just past 12 years old. What ever you do don't let them run before or after eating or drinking. Their stomach can flip happened to my female at 9 years old cost me 6k to save her life. Wait about 30 minutes or so
Not just running before eating or drinking but also playing with them or roughhouseing in general. The stomach issue can be an issue with other large dogs. Danes are wonderful dogs but need to be kept busy and having a lot of room to move about during the day keeps them out of trouble.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I raised them for a while. Great dogs. Usually very gentle for a big dog. They need their own couch and like to sleep with you but things can get crowded. The biggest drawback is they don't hang around long enough. Normal life span is 7-12 years. It is best to have their water and food dish elevated. What ever you do with choice in food, I recommend you give the dog a measured amount twice a day. Do leave a bunch of food out and allow them to graze on it when they want. I am sure you will enjoy your time with her once she learns the house rules.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
8-10 cups! If I had a Dane it had better get a job!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
We have a old female Dane we got free. She's grey on her face, still playfull, likes to be near us, But her back legs tremble and she can't lift her tail up very far. She eats a few cups of food a day and table scraps like meat and potatoes, whatever she likes. She's not fat and appears healthy. We feed her old roy, it seems to work well for her since she's not a growing puppy and the scraps provide nutrition also. She does tend to pee on her bed while she sleeps, just an I'll do age thing. She's that they don't live a long time.

·
Registered
636 Posts
We have 2 Dane females. Penelope who is 7 and Gertrude is 2. Both get fed Diamond Natural Large Breed. The older dog has a weight issue and only gets fed 4 cups a day to try and maintain her weight otherwise she porks up and the younger dog gets 6 cups to keep weight on her. Her metabolism is very high and she's damn active all day. Both are in great health and keep a good glossy coat.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
We have 2 Dane females. Penelope who is 7 and Gertrude is 2. Both get fed Diamond Natural Large Breed. The older dog has a weight issue and only gets fed 4 cups a day to try and maintain her weight otherwise she porks up and the younger dog gets 6 cups to keep weight on her. Her metabolism is very high and she's damn active all day. Both are in great health and keep a good glossy coat.
Same thing we feed ours. Good stuff. Can find it at tractor supply

·
Registered
636 Posts
You are starving that dog
The reason you have to feed so much is because Purina is a horrible food full of grains and fluff that they don't digest. Diamond has more beet pulp than I'd like but it's the best available locally and far and above anything Purina makes. Our dogs are quite healthy on it but we could still be feeding better. We are thinking of switching to 4Health which is carried by Tractor Supply and well reviewed in the Dane world. Do some research before you accuse someone of starving a dog.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Diamond natural is what we used too. But for everyone saying they eat alot, we fed ours 2 times a day and 5 cups was normal per meal. When we had 6 Danes (we were breeding) we actual got tractor supply to drop a pallet off at the house biweekly. It was much easier than buying a bag everyday on the way home from work.

·
Head Phuckstick
18,686 Posts
Nutro natural for large breed from TSC.

That is our 7mo blue.

The key is to keep them trim to help their joints. Watch their protine intake (food with less than 28-27%). No table scraps ( you will thank me later).

Shannon

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Her is a picture of her. She is such a good dog. I think she realizes that she has it so much better now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
We started with 2. Female black and male harliquin. They both lived to be 11 years . We fed them pedigree dog food from the time we brought them home,starting with the puppy food. We now have a Blue male. Noticed some skin problems when we first got him home. But Blues have a skin problem. Vet gave us a medicated shampoo to use for a little while and haven't had a problem since. Yes need plenty of room to run. No playing for an hour after a meal. Very good natured dogs. We are not afraid to let our grand children play with them. Scariest thing about them is there tail and feet. Give them lots of love ,for they love to be part of the family. Oh and they are also leaners. They will lean up against you when you are just standing there. She will love you forever for what you have done for her!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts