Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my GF picked up a fancy pants steak for dinner tonight. It had all the options: grass-fed, dry-aged, mentally stable, happy home, etc. I'm pretty confident I did my job cooking it.

Biting into it however, it was kinda gnarly. It was gamy. Some of that is the "grass-fed", some of it is the aging.

My conclusion is that I've become accustomed to commercialized beef, and don't know what cows actually taste like. Am I right, or did I eat a funky steak?

·
Former RJ instigator
40,570 Posts
Typically grain fed is what you want, grass fed is usually a much leaner/tougher meat with less saturated fat.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Depending on how long the beef was aged and how it was trimmed, it can have a bit of a stinky cheese taste to it, too, usually the stuff that's been aged more than about 2 months. The extreme-aged stuff can definitely be an acquired taste.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She thinks it was aged 1 month, but not 100% certain. I believe it was the ageing that was off-putting, more so than the grass fed element.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts

·
Low Life
2,173 Posts
Grass fed beef has a weird taste to it aged or not.
True grass fed beef is usually a little on the tough side and can taste gamey or even have a dirt/soil taste. I raised Hereford and Black Angus when the kids were growing up for 10 years. the best ones were finished off with grain for about a month before slaughter.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Find yourself some American Wagyu. Bought it twice from Sam's Club.

Yeah, I know it's 34 bucks a pound, but price will be a distant memory after the first bite.
It's super rich. Wife and I are good with a 6 to 8 ounce piece each.
Twice baked tater.
Bottle of Barolo.
Done.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I eat the Sams Club rib steaks at least once a week.

Can't concern myself with whether he was frolicking out on the range with his little buddies or locked in a box getting shot up with hormones before he hit my plate, that shit is good!

·
Registered
850 Posts
It's super rich. Wife and I are good with a 6 to 8 ounce piece each.
Twice baked tater
RJAZE, Can I ask some details on your twice baked? Used to get them at a restaurant we used to go to & were really good. Not something very many places have that we go to. Can you post up some directions, recipe, whatever? Take Care, Lorne

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
17,131 Posts
True grass fed beef is usually a little on the tough side and can taste gamey or even have a dirt/soil taste. I raised Hereford and Black Angus when the kids were growing up for 10 years. the best ones were finished off with grain for about a month before slaughter.
Yes, I agree.

DHR's Hotrod Herefords will be hitting the plate next summer!!

You ever try any Murray Grey's?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
RJAZE, Can I ask some details on your twice baked? Used to get them at a restaurant we used to go to & were really good. Not something very many places have that we go to. Can you post up some directions, recipe, whatever? Take Care, Lorne

Take a large baked potato and cut in half lengthwise.
Scoop all potato out and put in a bowl while hot. Add butter, sour cream if you like it smooth and creamy.
Garlic that I sweat in butter and white wine.
chives cut up
Salt and pepper

Mix it all up to the consistency you prefer.
Scoop back into potato boat.
Put cheese of your choice on the top....shredded.
Throw under broiler to melt cheese or stick in oven for however long you want depending on when you are serving it. At LOW temp.

Not a huge fan of grass fed beef.....reminds me of deer meat sometimes.

If I marinate it, not so bad.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Scoop all potato out and put in a bowl while hot. Add butter, sour cream if you like it smooth and creamy.
chives cut up
Salt and pepper

Throw under broiler to melt cheese or stick in oven for however long you want depending on when you are serving it. At LOW temp.

Decent recipe. I bake the skins before filling them. Bake the potatoes, cut, remove guts, bake skins for a few min. Mix your potatoes to taste and texture. Fill skins, top, reheat/broil and serve.

I make a mean twice baked. I like the filling to come out creamy and rich and the skin to be almost crunchy and chip like.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
chives cut up
Salt and pepper

I like to mix in some bacon bits to that

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I grew up on a beef farm, it's my opinion that the the grass fed thing is a bunch of hippie free range bullshit, grass and hay is fine for brood cows but feeder calves that will be eaten need grain. And stay away from farmers that use the word "organic", they are usually city boys that learned about farming by watching Youtube,

·
Registered
302 Posts
Term "Grain Fed" is not regulated closely by the government.
So it can be a loosely interpeted phase just like organic, fat free, no sugar, all natural no artifical favlours , etc and of course the term "Virgin" in todays world.

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
17,131 Posts
I grew up on a beef farm, it's my opinion that the the grass fed thing is a bunch of hippie free range bullshit, grass and hay is fine for brood cows but feeder calves that will be eaten need grain. And stay away from farmers that use the word "organic", they are usually city boys that learned about farming by watching Youtube,
Agreed!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I made the mistake of buying a side of beef from a girl I worked with once. It had been raised in her pasture and was 100% grass fed. Day glow yellow fat. Took me 2 years to finish that thing off. Some of the worst beef Ive ever had. She only charged me cut and wrap fees but it was still terrible.

·
Registered
55,118 Posts
I try to only buy grass fed. Not too difficult, just walk across the street. The way cows ate before they were mass marketed by grocery stores, and had to accelerate the bulk with corn. Best beef on the planet.

I find grain fed beef to be bland.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts