Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious to know what software is used to create the awesome graphics like Tyler from wicked would use. Is it Illustrator? Just curious as the best way I can take a real picture and make it look like a computerized drawing.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Im curious to know what software is used to create the awesome graphics like Tyler from wicked would use. Is it Illustrator? Just curious as the best way I can take a real picture and make it look like a computerized drawing.
Those are all hand drawn. He then uses a computer to digitize them. Pretty sick stuff huh? You want to see what I am talking about, just look at an episode of Overhaulin' and watch Chip Foose do one of his renderings. I wish I had the skills man. These guys are truly something special. :cool:

·
Head Phuckstick in Charge
7,613 Posts
Those are all hand drawn. He then uses a computer to digitize them. Pretty sick stuff huh? You want to see what I am talking about, just look at an episode of Overhaulin' and watch Chip Foose do one of his renderings. I wish I had the skills man. These guys are truly something special. :cool:
I might be wrong but I believe a few years ago Tyler used photoshop from scratch to create his renderings. I'm sure he'll chime in and let us know for sure. Either way there are some folks on here with serious talent!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think what tyler is doing is the same as chip foose. I think its more along the lines of tracing a real image and doing gradient fills to make it. But i dont really know thats why im asking. I would be willing to pay to have someone show me the basics.

·
16,312 Posts
I am not sure how they do it but I use a Wacom tablet and draw in photoshop (you can do it in layers using an original photo). I am just an amateur and it takes me a bazillion years just to do simple stuff, maybe one day i will get it figured out and efficient.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Tyler hand draws out most of his artwork and then scans it back into photoshop and begins filling it with color
Yup...

If you have ever seen one of these guy's draw, it is freaking amazing. I have a friend that can draw just about anything. He does some amazing stuff with Aliens and freaky outer space stuff. He has no schooling either. It just comes naturally to him. I tell him to get into art school and use the gift God gave him. But nope, he preffers to deliver furniture all day for a local store. :confused:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I use illustrator for my stuff. I like the control. There's no "Magic Button." One still has to know how to draw. Every single one of the sample on the linked page were "hand drawn" in Illustrator. Meaning the pen tool is the primary weapon of choice.

http://home.comcast.net/~mlawless29/t-shirt_art.htm

It starts with a pencil sketch similar to what Foose does, the sketch is scanned and used as a template. Simple!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats the info i was looking for. now can you take a real photo(contrasted) and use the pen tool over it or do you find it easier to draw it out and sketch it first? Those images are exactly what im looking for however learning shade is my difficult part.

What would you say the avg amount of time is spent on one car and an avg amount of layers used?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Most are hand-drawn outlines that are scanned in and converted to paths in Adobe Illustrator. These paths are then used as templates from which the designs are created and rendered in Adobe Photoshop.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Thats the info i was looking for. now can you take a real photo(contrasted) and use the pen tool over it or do you find it easier to draw it out and sketch it first? Those images are exactly what im looking for however learning shade is my difficult part.

What would you say the avg amount of time is spent on one car and an avg amount of layers used?
You can use a photo as a template. It doesn't need to be contrasted. It typically spend about 5 hours on a single car design.

·
Registered
409 Posts
i'm really suprised you guys use illustrator at all.... as photoshop has all the tools of illustrator + more. are you using the most current version or is it just a personal prefference?
Illustrator has a lot of advantages over photshop in certain areas. For one it's vector based, which Photoshop isn't, so it's completely scalable, also the pen tool is much less clumsy in illustrator, and the 3D modeling is great also.

I use both on about a 50/50 split.

Here's a rendering I did of Dwayne Jame's car completely in Illustrator. It was later touched up some in photoshop, but remained about like it is here, just refined a little.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Also, I'll be the first to admit that I'm nowhere near as good as Justin from C.D. or Tyler at these renderings. Those two are the masters of what they do. This was a first attempt/side project for me.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
i'm really suprised you guys use illustrator at all.... as photoshop has all the tools of illustrator + more. are you using the most current version or is it just a personal prefference?
It's probably because I started out doing my stuff in pen and ink and Illustrator comes the closest to doing art like that. I do mostly t-shirt designs and I just find I have much better control and it's easier to tweak the image. Say I want to lower the car, or make the wheels a little bigger to fill the fender, or if I'm doing a "conceptual rendering" where I don't have a photo of the actual car. I can install everything like graphics and logos, wheels and whatnot. that way the client can just say, "I have a 69 Camaro that I'm building into a pro mod car, and I need a design to show a sponsor." I can take draw up a pro mod looking car based off a few reference photos, add in the wheels and tires, the blower that sticks out, a wing, paint scheme and there it is. For me, Illustrator makes that stuff easier.

I guess if I were doing like a lot of designers out there nowadays, and are using actual car photos in their designs rather than doing an illustration, I'd probably lean more toward Photoshop. I actually do like Photoshop better if I'm doing a design that is going to print on a dark fabric color, as it is easier to create a layer or channel for a base white, necessary for a good print on dark. I usually do the design in Illustrator first, and then bring it into photoshop for stuff like that.

I've been using Illustrator for twenty years now, and it is just easier for me. Some guys are more comfortable with Photoshop.. So yeah, I guess it does just down to preference.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I use illustrator for my stuff. I like the control. There's no "Magic Button." One still has to know how to draw. Every single one of the sample on the linked page were "hand drawn" in Illustrator. Meaning the pen tool is the primary weapon of choice.

http://home.comcast.net/~mlawless29/t-shirt_art.htm

It starts with a pencil sketch similar to what Foose does, the sketch is scanned and used as a template. Simple!
OUTSTANDING WORK!!!!!!

Mistah

·
Sho'Nuff
5,366 Posts
I must be the oddball with Corel. You can get a 'rough in' of an image if you convert it to bitmap and have it do either a wireframe or simple wireframe. I know some guys that do renderings completely from AI or DRAW and it's amazing to see them work. The Halle Berry below was done completely in Illustrator. There's other vector's that are more lifelike than this one such as the one here

·
~~www.wickedgrafixx.com~~
2,441 Posts
Everything you see on one of my designs is all hand drawn in photoshop. As was said earlier, there is NO MAGIC PHOTOSHOP button. I use a photo of a car as a guideline to go back and redraw everything I see there. Same as with my theme shirts, I'll find a photo to use for reference material and just redraw it my way to make it work on the shirt. I don't manipulate the photos and then use them.....that's cheating ;)

If you go to my website and click to view intro, you can "very" briefly see how a design comes together....kinda.

All of my designs are 8-10 colors. I work in layers personally whereas other may work in channels. Those 8-10 colors are layers. Now, as I]m working on the design, I may have as many as 150 layers (each with an individual color-a part of a design element) and once the design is approved, I condense all of those down into 8-10 color or layers to be ready for screenprinting.

95% of the work I do is in photoshop. 3% is done in illustrator. 2% is done with a pencil, then inked in, then scanned in and then started on in photoshop.

there are filters that can do some pretty interesting to pics, but none of them can make a shirt design.

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Illustrator has a lot of advantages over photshop in certain areas. For one it's vector based, which Photoshop isn't, so it's completely scalable, also the pen tool is much less clumsy in illustrator, and the 3D modeling is great also.

I use both on about a 50/50 split.

Here's a rendering I did of Dwayne Jame's car completely in Illustrator. It was later touched up some in photoshop, but remained about like it is here, just refined a little.
very interresting... the things i make i dont use vector nor do i use a pen.... i'll have to investigate and try some different things out.

thanks for the explanation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts