Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume there are some OTR truckers on here. Any suggestions for a new GPS unit. My boss has an older, smaller Garmin that is probably 5-6 years old and he wants something bigger and nicer. I see offerings from Garmin, Rand McNally and TomTom, but they all seem to have a lot of negative Amazon reviews. Any first hand experience on what is out there that is decent? He would like to find something in the 7-8" range, bonus for a built in or optional dash cam. Even more bonus points for some sort of built in ELD option for his logs.

Thanks

·
Registered
24,398 Posts
Yeah I would like one just for my dully an 34 foot trailer....most think your driving a damn Honda Accord...
"Whomp Whomp!" :smt115 :-D

JK Couldn't Resist! Have a Great Day Everybody! :p

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of cheap ELDs out there. Just make sure whatever he buys isn’t AOBR as that will be obsolete in December. Needs to be true ELD.
He has a Garmin eLog now. It's not the greatest, mainly because since is hooks up to your phone you have to keep messing with the phone while you are driving to get it to work right. I know some of the new Garmin GPS units will sync to the eLog and then you don't have to mess with your phone. He isn't married to the Garmin ELD unit either. If fact we qualify for paper logs still since he travels so infrequently.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Rand mcnally is what you want. They have the best truck specific routing and I find their GPS more intuitive than Garmin. No experience with the ELD.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rand mcnally is what you want. They have the best truck specific routing and I find their GPS more intuitive than Garmin. No experience with the ELD.
They do have some good looking units. The Amazon reviews on them are less than stellar though. Most of the totally negative reviews are on the mounts though. I was hoping to find someone that has one to verify how well they work.

·
Registered
24,008 Posts
As long as the maps are updated, age for a GPS isn't a problem.

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Since the trips are generally 1000+ mile round trips, he likes to have the GPS to help find fuel stops, identify roads with low clearance bridges, etc... Plus he despises having to mess with his phone going down the road. Safety conscious.
When not racing, Swift is hiring also!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts