Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I TOOK THE CAR TO THE TRACK TODAY.AIR WAS NOT BAD AND TEMP WAS WAS LOW 60S WITH TAIL WIND.FIRST RUN I LEFT THE TREE AT 2000 RPM IT HOOKED HARDER THEN IT HAS EVER BEFORE AND THE TRANS TOOK A SHIT RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE.NEEDLESS TO SAY I NEED A NEW TH400.SHOULD I HAVE ANOTHER ONE BUILT HERE AT HOME OR SHOULD I BUY A AFTER MARKET TRANS.68 CAMARO 3600LBS,684HP BBC,TH 400 STOCK GEAR SET UP WITH NO TRANS BREAK,12 BOLT WITH 4.10 GEAR AND 275 60 15 DRAG RADIAL.ANY GOOD OPTIONS ON A TUFF TRANS THAT CAN LAST ON STREET DUTY.ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT.THANKS IN ADVANCE.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
My .02 is to decide if there is a local builder that is reputable that you can work with, or go on the hunt for one elsewhere. I've done transmissions for locals and shipped them out all over as well so it's a personal choice one has to make with some research on who you are looking at. At your power level all that'd be needed is a 34 element sprag, manual/auto valve body, Teflon sealing rings everywhere, decent friction materials, and a good build with attention to detail. It doesn't take much to make a TH400 live at the 700 hp level.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Depends. There is no doubt you cannot go wrong with getting a transmission from several of the guys that frequent the trans forum here, Jake and Hutch topping the list. I am sure that you have builders in your area that are competent to build a trans as well.
Th400 is a pretty darn easy transmission to build, so maybe you wanna build your own. I just had to rebuild mine after it puked behind the new combo and went overkill and still had under 1500 into it. Put it together with 300m input and intermediate, 34 elem sprag, ati modified ctr support, new front pump, alto and kolene kit, ultrabell, new alum pan etc... Kept it full auto for the street.

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
Talk to other racers and see who they use. We have a coupe of racers at Milan that own shops and do good builds, you probably do too.

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
atleast it's hooking lol... good luck on the new trans

1 - 7 of 7 Posts