Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a big lift cam kill a low compression motor? reason i ask is i got specs from bullet for a cam and it slowed my car way down. so i guess my question is: if i pull the 1.6 rockers off and switch to 1.5 will it maybe help. im lost now and dont know where to go to get my power back besides chaging it back to the stock cam that was in the motor. thanks

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
will a big lift cam kill a low compression motor? reason i ask is i got specs from bullet for a cam and it slowed my car way down. so i guess my question is: if i pull the 1.6 rockers off and switch to 1.5 will it maybe help. im lost now and dont know where to go to get my power back besides chaging it back to the stock cam that was in the motor. thanks
Whats low? What slowed down? 60ft, ET, MPH?

·
Chicken Leg?
17,838 Posts
yes. big lift, long duration cams bleed off low rpm cylinder pressure, which is exactly why low comp engines typically use small cams. less overlap keeps more pressure inside the chamber at low speeds. bigger cams want higher compression for this exact reason, among others, including the fact that bigger cams don't make their power in the low rev range anyway.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes. big lift, long duration cams bleed off low rpm cylinder pressure, which is exactly why low comp engines typically use small cams. less overlap keeps more pressure inside the chamber at low speeds. bigger cams want higher compression for this exact reason, among others, including the fact that bigger cams don't make their power in the low rev range anyway.
wonder why they steered me that way? i told them everything about everything.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
bullet said my converter i had will be perfect now. its a 10 inch 3600 but it did work fine before.
Have you check to see what it will flash to now? My .700+ lift Bullet Solid roller worked with 10.0 cr and now 13.5 cr, but my converter had to be changed alot with alot larger headers

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so should i put the old cam back in or try changing rockers. i really dont feel like its the converter because it pulls good but it just feels like it lost power.

·
Chicken Leg?
17,838 Posts
so should i put the old cam back in or try changing rockers. i really dont feel like its the converter because it pulls good but it just feels like it lost power.
you could try that first, if you already have a set of 1.5s, they'll take lift and some duration out, but it depends on how much bigger the new cam is. might not help much at all.

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you check to see what it will flash to now? My .700+ lift Bullet Solid roller worked with 10.0 cr and now 13.5 cr, but my converter had to be changed alot with alot larger headers
to be honest it feels the same as before just less power being put into it.

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you could try that first, if you already have a set of 1.5s, they'll take lift and some duration out, but it depends on how much bigger the new cam is. might not help much at all.
dont have any laying around but i found someone who would trade. i think the stock cam was around 390 something lift and the new cam based on 1.5 is 490/510

1 - 20 of 86 Posts