Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
don't know how much power i'm going to make but i have a th400 already and i'm sure it won't handle what i'll throw at it. i need opinions on what i should do to it. guessing power to be ~700-750 and a ~300 shot on top of that. planning on putting a brake in it also. its a big tire car too. i don't have the money to have it shipped somewhere but i don't think it needs to be the best stuff. expect to be running low 9's at altitude. any opinion would be awesome

·
Super Moderator
19,355 Posts
What does the car weigh, gear ratio,tire size, motor combination etc.
Are you going to build the trans yourself?
Are the hp numbers given accurate at the altitude your racing?
What internals do you have in your 400 now?

Help me out a little .

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
car will weigh around 3300lbs
haven't chose a gear ratio yet but it has 4.56's in it now. 31-18.5-15 DOT slick big cube 18* small block chevy
i don't want to mess with the tanny myself, never done anything with them and don't want to start with mine ha ha
i'm racing at ~5000 feet.
don't know whats in it. i know it has a manual valve body and thats it. i know that probably doesn't help you too much.
my uncle was the one who built it a while ago, but he died. my grandpa says its been worked pretty good but who knows.

·
Super Moderator
19,355 Posts
Dave , a good th400 with a transbrake and a steel input hub including all the good internal parts normally used in a hp build will be just fine for your application. A 4.56 ratio sounds pretty high if you plan to use nitrous. I would say something closer to 4.10 may be a better choice.
Try the new motor combination with what you have first and just see what it does as a baseline, then make the change to transbrake etc.

Take care ,Hutch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts