Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any door car racers running this tire? I need some opinions. Been running a MT 30761, 1ST set was defective and MT replaced them and they were a great tire, took them off at 212 runs, put another set on and these ones are junk IMO at less than 100 runs, car hasnt been happy since I put them on and I need to try somthing differant. The Hoosier equivalant wont fit, the section width is too wide

Also looking at a Hoosier 18260D05 32X14.5 15W which has 1 inch less tread and a tick more roll out. Either tire would be mounted on 16 wheels
The D05 is a soft compound and the GY D5 is a hard compound.

Car is just under 3K with me in it, ladder bars and hits the tire really hard on launch

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I used to run the D1408 and now run the Hoosier 18260. Unfortunately never ran them back to back with identical combinations, but I would have to say the Hoosiers work a little bit better and last a lot longer. Both cases with about 2500 lbs with driver, a little more power with the Hoosiers, but with a little more rearward weight bias (went to alum heads and added a weight bar in back). Best 60' on the D1408 was 1.31, avg 1.35 on a crappy track. Best with 18260 is 1.27, average 1.30 on a moderate track and 1.32 on a crappy track.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Michael for your input, my car is in the 1.22 60 ft range depending on track conditions, around here you hardly see any GY tires on door cars, mostly Hoosiers, but the Hoosier 18260 is a completly differant tire then what i've been running and I have to make the correct choice because I cant keep buying tires, out of 3 sets of MT's 1 was total crap, 1 set was fantastic and the current set is somewhere in the middle but closer to the crap side of things.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I have run both on my car. I don't see any difference between them. The car has Hoosiers on it now and has gone 1.273 in 60'. The Goodyears went 1.266. But the car was just as consistent with either tire.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Any door car racers running this tire? I need some opinions. Been running a MT 30761, 1ST set was defective and MT replaced them and they were a great tire, took them off at 212 runs, put another set on and these ones are junk IMO at less than 100 runs, car hasnt been happy since I put them on and I need to try somthing differant. The Hoosier equivalant wont fit, the section width is too wide

Also looking at a Hoosier 18260D05 32X14.5 15W which has 1 inch less tread and a tick more roll out. Either tire would be mounted on 16 wheels
The D05 is a soft compound and the GY D5 is a hard compound.

Car is just under 3K with me in it, ladder bars and hits the tire really hard on launch
Hey Steve,

I run the Goodyear 32's -D5 and for our part of the country they seem to work the best out of Hoosiers,Pheonix (Firestone),and M/Ts

You will find out that with the Goodyears they can absorb a lot of the initial "hit" without basketballing on you, but you REALLY have to watch your tire pressures and I'm talking down to the 1/4 lb here.....
the D5's like a Hot Track and as much air pressure as you can get in them without burning them off....I run mine right on the ragged edge all the time between too much and not enough air plus a real good set of double adjustable Shocks will want to be set real firm on compression for the Kind of weight your carrying.....last year I was at #3480 and got my 60's down to a real consistent 1.260-1.265 depending on the Time of day and the DA .

I took my Shocks Off over the winter and sent them out to Leareys Shock Shop in Denver because the Car went on a BIG DIET over the winter and now I have to watch it to keep it around # 2900 and when I got them back and started TnT this Spring well you can see the results.

Now all that wasn't just due to Tires and Shocks but a combination of things but I really have this car 60'ing now as quick and consistent as any I have ever driven.

Randy

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Steve,

I run the Goodyear 32's -D5 and for our part of the country they seem to work the best out of Hoosiers,Pheonix (Firestone),and M/Ts

You will find out that with the Goodyears they can absorb a lot of the initial "hit" without basketballing on you, but you REALLY have to watch your tire pressures and I'm talking down to the 1/4 lb here.....
the D5's like a Hot Track and as much air pressure as you can get in them without burning them off....I run mine right on the ragged edge all the time between too much and not enough air plus a real good set of double adjustable Shocks will want to be set real firm on compression for the Kind of weight your carrying.....last year I was at #3480 and got my 60's down to a real consistent 1.260-1.265 depending on the Time of day and the DA .

I took my Shocks Off over the winter and sent them out to Leareys Shock Shop in Denver because the Car went on a BIG DIET over the winter and now I have to watch it to keep it around # 2900 and when I got them back and started TnT this Spring well you can see the results.

Now all that wasn't just due to Tires and Shocks but a combination of things but I really have this car 60'ing now as quick and consistent as any I have ever driven.

Randy
Thanks Randy, D1408s arrived last night from Carter Maxwell :)

What air pressure are you currently running? My plan was to start with 8psi

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Steve,
I think you would be better off to start out with like 10-12 lbs and work around that figure....with mine last year anywhere up around 135mph at the big end of the track and things started getting a little out of shape and that was at 9.8 lbs and a hot track.....I couldn't run anything less than 10 lbs with any kind of consistency.....another thing that will really help you make air pressure and shock adjustments is to have someone video every launch you make with the new Tires and all the different things you try and when you get back from a Run and are looking over your time slip the verynext thing I do is review the run from a "How did it look" standpoint .......when you run the video backwards and forwards 1 frame at a time you can REALLY see what your suspension and shocks and Tires are doing and how they are reacting to any changes.....then write it all down in a note book with a coresponding Video # in case you need to go back later and look at it......Man did this ever help me a ton......once I saw what was going on and after talking to a Trusted Chassis set up Guy my times sarted to drop like a rock.
You of course can do whatever you want but if you will try this for a dozen or so launches and runs you will see what I mean and the results of your changes......

Randy

Carter Maxwell is where I have been getting mine and they are a Great Bunch to work with.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Steve,

Thats a Good video of your shocks (what are they ?) but what you really need to see is like from the perspective of outside the car on either the driver or pass. side so you can see the slicks and Suspension move at the first hit of the throttle to see what all is happening.....do you have one where someone was standing right beside the car and taped just that that I can look at ? Our Daughter tapes nearly every run we make and at first I had to keep reminding her to zoom in on the rear of the car so I could see what was going on back there and once she did that and I showed it to a Y-B member who KNOWS what he is talking about he was able to point out what I was seeing and explain it to me. then after I did the adjustments he suggested things started to come around real quickly.

If you want we can do all of this thru the PM system that might be better ?

I do have a couple of questions I would like to ask you?

Randy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts