Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a good factory round for in .38 spl for training. Would like a jacketed bullet (nothing all-lead).

I know people like wadcutters for this purpose, but most all I found are all lead.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The 130gr target loads from Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi and Magtec are going to be the lightest recoiling factory ammo you can buy in a jacketed or plated bullet. only real problem with them is that they do not shoot point of aim on most 38's (hits are low by 1-2"@25yrds) as most 38 revolver with fixed sights are regulated for 158gr bullets.

I buy plated semi-wadcutter projectiles from Xtreme bullets and load them over AA5, which makes for a very light recoiling and clean burning target round. If you reload or know someone who reloads, Xtreme Bullet has both the 148gr wadcutter and 158gr semi wadcutter projectiles.
Will

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Thanks for the info. My mother was complaining that hers had too much kick. It's an Airweight so that doesn't help either.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Thanks for the info. My mother was complaining that hers had too much kick. It's an Airweight so that doesn't help either.
Yea J Frame Smiths are a handful in reguard to recoil...Even with the target loads I listed above. Espc the Airweights with women shooters who are usually very recoil sensitive.

Unfortunatly there isnt much you can do about it. If the above 130gr loads are still too much, the Federal Gold Match 148gr wadcutters are about the lightest factory ammo availiable... can be a SOB to clean thou.

Will

·
Registered
56,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hornady is coming out with some "light" defense loads. They make good stuff but save your pennies.....

·
102,312 Posts
Hornady is coming out with some "light" defense loads. They make good stuff but save your pennies.....
For some strange reason, I don't think there is a lack of funding on your part. :-D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts