Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
I bought a couple just before christams for $199 from IBC Computers here in town. Same model/specs. Maybe some local stores to you have the same kind of deal.

·
Registered
10,371 Posts
isn't the 4 core the way to go

but that is a good price

thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts
isn't the 4 core the way to go

but that is a good price

thanks
no for a track pc built in serial port is the way to go,
theres no program your going to run at the track for your racecar that requires a 4 core
but not having to deal with a serial adapter and its com port bs is going to save u time and headaches

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have to say go with a Toshiba. There are a couple guys that sell refurbs on EBAY. I had a couple of Dells, both didn't have long term durability. About every 16 months I buy a used Toshiba from EBAY. I would keep it longer but really for the price, its worth just starting over again than risk something failing. I am sure they would last longer though. I can't tell you how many times they have fallen off car hoods and benchtops and keep going. Try to find the Tecra model, that is the 'higher-end' but refurbed with XP is around $200.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to say go with a Toshiba. There are a couple guys that sell refurbs on EBAY. I had a couple of Dells, both didn't have long term durability. About every 16 months I buy a used Toshiba from EBAY. I would keep it longer but really for the price, its worth just starting over again than risk something failing. I am sure they would last longer though. I can't tell you how many times they have fallen off car hoods and benchtops and keep going. Try to find the Tecra model, that is the 'higher-end' but refurbed with XP is around $200.
Which Toshiba laptops have 9-pin Serial Ports??

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Ill try to remember to check the part number for you tonite. This one doesn't have the serial port but I found a USB adapter that has communicated with everything so far. Ill be back in my office tonite hopefully and I will let you know.

Which Toshiba laptops have 9-pin Serial Ports??

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ill try to remember to check the part number for you tonite. This one doesn't have the serial port but I found a USB adapter that has communicated with everything so far. Ill be back in my office tonite hopefully and I will let you know.
Yes, I have a good USB adapter also, that doesn't mean it's not a pain in the ass.

The COM port numbers will change if you plug it into a different USB port or connect to a different device . . . .

True Hardwired 9-pin serial port on COM1 is much nicer to use a the track.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts