Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never shot before, but i want to get something for home protection, target shooting, maybe even for a CCW.

Thinking i'll hit target world and try some different calibers and see what feels good.

What's everyone like and why?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Never shot before, but i want to get something for home protection, target shooting, maybe even for a CCW.

Thinking i'll hit target world and try some different calibers and see what feels good.

What's everyone like and why?
Go to a range that rents guns and try and see what comfortable. A med size to large will be easier on recoil and good for home protection where a smaller frame would be better to carry if your doing that.

·
GOD
1,860 Posts
your first gun should be something easy to use, easy to learn on, good quality.....cheap to shoot also....i would go for a full size glock 9mm.....cheaper to shoot than a .40 or .45 and real easy to pull apart to clean. great quality and its affordable....you wont be unhappy. after you get that and go shooting you will want more and more...it never ends. you will enjoy the 9mm and it is a great gun for home defense...get some hollow points and your all set.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your first gun should be something easy to use, easy to learn on, good quality.....cheap to shoot also....i would go for a full size glock 9mm.....cheaper to shoot than a .40 or .45 and real easy to pull apart to clean. great quality and its affordable....you wont be unhappy. after you get that and go shooting you will want more and more...it never ends. you will enjoy the 9mm and it is a great gun for home defense...get some hollow points and your all set.
my moms boyfriend said something similar. he loves the .45, says you can shoot a thumb and they are still going down, lol.

he said a 9mm is cheaper on ammo and and all around nice gun.

he has some of each, plus revolvers, shotguns, muzzle loaders, not to mention some killer looking bows.

if i go for a 9mm, what do i look for. is it like just one 9mm. or is it like looking for a pickup, lots of makes and models

·
GOD
1,860 Posts
also yes it is a good idea to try them but around my area you really have no place to do that.....deffinately see what fits best in your hand...make sure the sales person dosnt try to sell you something you dont need. start off simple....

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also yes it is a good idea to try them but around my area you really have no place to do that.....deffinately see what fits best in your hand...make sure the sales person dosnt try to sell you something you dont need. start off simple....
i've heard target would isn't the place to buy, better deals out there,

but good for trying stuff out

·
GOD
1,860 Posts
i would say get a full size glock...better for the practice range...the shorter the barrel the less acurate down the range. for target you want to make sure you can shoot a decent distance after time...it will be hard if you start with a small barrel then pick a full size up. once you get the target shooting down you can use whatever gun and most likely you will know the basics and you will be able to adjust to them. its also a great idea to take a pistol class if there is one offered to you in your area...they teach you lots of good info to help you and if you see some monkey at the range doing something that could be dangerous you could prevent it....i have seen lots of stupid people at the range that needed a smack...and i have seen lots of good people that if you watch them you learn a lot.

my moms boyfriend said something similar. he loves the .45, says you can shoot a thumb and they are still going down, lol.

he said a 9mm is cheaper on ammo and and all around nice gun.

he has some of each, plus revolvers, shotguns, muzzle loaders, not to mention some killer looking bows.

if i go for a 9mm, what do i look for. is it like just one 9mm. or is it like looking for a pickup, lots of makes and models

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I am a fan of the Glocks. I have yet to have one I didn't like! Throw them in a watery mud hole, pick them up 2 hours later & they still SHOOT! Easy to break down for cleaning, easy to get parts & upgrades for, & they really don't break. I've never even had one jamb! Ray.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Like somebody said on another post. You get what you pay for, and you pay for what you get. If your a first timer, I would suggest a revolver. .357 Magnum. You don't need 16 shots. When that gun goes off, They know you mean business. :) CM

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
plain ol m1911 Colt 45. Kills things dead and dead is dead. Don't need no fancy side arm just somthing that stops the fat or cracked out ones with one shot.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts