Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about the turbo thing.

(a) Point between the turbo and the head needs some sort of flex in the exhaust tube

(b) Any advantage to setting the piston in the hole or zero deck

(c) Location of waste gate to turbo / closer to head or closer to turbo

(d) Size of throttle body / 95,105 or bigger

I have plenty of room click on signature to see motor

I have been running EFI on meth with 3 stages and ready to try something new

I am now going twin s480 with race covers and feel a little intimidated due to no experience.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
on point a- i wouldnt. alot of people are saying that the mesh is coming apart and going into the turbos. i got mine solid and used stainless instead of mild steel.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks
whats your thoughts on the gage of tube / 16 mild steel ok?
and is 2 1/4 to large for primary tubes

heads are big chief /olds oval port

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
i was told not to use the m/s because it costs alot to coat them. most i believe are using stainless. i got a 540 with twin 88's. my primary is 3" and just over 12" long. i think the 1/16 sounds right. doesnt that equal .065? too damn tired to think. i personally would do it with stainless. pm twinturbobilly and you'll get a hell of a price for all that stuff you need. all the big guys i know are using the s/s.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

if you dont mind me asking what kind of power are you getting out of your 540 and is it gas or methanol

the primary tubes i am refering to are the ones that exit the header flange off the head

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have a few questions about the turbo thing.

(a) Point between the turbo and the head needs some sort of flex in the exhaust tube If you are going to hard mount the turbos to the frame, I would most deffiently use some sort of flex. I use only slip joint flex bellows on all my turbo applications. They have a smooth inside, and do not have the mesh coating like you would find on your conventional flex. They also allow for expansion and contraction which will help aleviate the risk of cracks appearing. They do come at a high price, but if you want to do it right the first time, then the added cost will pay off down the road when you don't have to repair your headers every so often.

(b) Any advantage to setting the piston in the hole or zero deck

(c) Location of waste gate to turbo / closer to head or closer to turbo. Location or placement is really going to depend on turbo location and how your cross over pipe enters the turbo or in your case you are using twins, so its going to be one pipe per turbo. Ideally you want the gate to have a direct flow path coming from the header or cross over pipe.

(d) Size of throttle body / 95,105 or bigger

I have plenty of room click on signature to see motor

I have been running EFI on meth with 3 stages and ready to try something new

I am now going twin s480 with race covers and feel a little intimidated due to no experience.
Hope this helps a little.

Craig Sheffield
Sheffield Chassis design
(850) 896 0904
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
thanks

if you dont mind me asking what kind of power are you getting out of your 540 and is it gas or methanol

the primary tubes i am refering to are the ones that exit the header flange off the head
two inch primaries. non equal length tubes that go into a 3" collector pipe. sorry about the confusion. the 540 will be making around the 2500hp mark. it will be on gas also. this is all a d/r project. very similar setup to lutz's car.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the opinions you guys I appreciate it.

I bought the turbosmart 60mm wastegates and the 52 mm BOV Justin is sending them in black he’s one cool dude

I have two majestic s480 from Dave, both with race covers and on the way as well, that company has the two thumbs up award from me

Anyone running this stuff on large power plants and is a bronze valve guide ok in the exhaust

1 - 9 of 9 Posts