Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
102,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Barrel with be a 30 inch varmint or non taper heavy barrel done by Shilen.

Either a 700 ultra action tuned up or a stiller

Jewell or Timney trigger

And haven't decided on a stock but with a member here who owns Manners well I like to help the locals.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I would taper the barrel to .9 to1.0 at the muzzle- maybe flute it too. Thick barrels that long are very heavy- and very front heavy. They have terrible balance.

Put a muzzle brake on it- but make sure it is easily removable with a cap to protect the threads when not in use. I like the "muscle" brake.

Get at least a 14 in. LOP- with an adjustable cheek piece. 14.5 LOP would not be too long.

TIGHT chamber- not a turn neck- but not a loose factory one either. Something that allows .003 or so neck expansion and only .003 or so shoulder blow out. Tight chambers are more accurate and the brass lasts a LOT longer. Less frequent trimming, annealing, etc.

Throat it for Berger 195 bullets. The gunsmith should know how to set everything up for you have minimum free-bore, loaded round will still fit in the magazine, etc.

I would talk to a couple reamer makers and tell them what you want to do. No doubt there are reamers available.

If you get a custom action have them put a 20MOA rail integral to the action.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
As far as the action goes, if you already have one use it and get it trued. If you don't, I would definitely go with the aftermarket action.

I prefer Jewell over Timney.

You said you aren't fond of chassis so Manners is a pretty easy decision. The make a great product and I really like the mini chassis that they offer. Mcmillans are nice, I have an A5 non adjustable but I just prefer a chassis.

Who is going to do the gunsmithing?

·
Premium Member
102,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as the action goes, if you already have one use it and get it trued. If you don't, I would definitely go with the aftermarket action.

I prefer Jewell over Timney.

You said you aren't fond of chassis so Manners is a pretty easy decision. The make a great product and I really like the mini chassis that they offer. Mcmillans are nice, I have an A5 non adjustable but I just prefer a chassis.

Who is going to do the gunsmithing?
Local fellow will be doing gunsmithing. Plus he has a couple relatives with our department so that's a plus but I ain't expecting anything either.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Have him make a full length sizing die / bump gauge based on the reamer. You may not be familiar with these items now- but trust me you are going to want them once you figured out what you are doing.

Jewell triggers are absolute top of the line.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/bat-actions-63585/

Take a quick read. I agree with what these guys said about BAT actions. If you keep them clean, etc- they are the finest actions available. I have played with many bolt action rifles and there is just some about a BAT action.

They fact they come apart easy is also very useful for finding jam length, etc.

If you can justify the costs- get one- you will not regret it. My BAT is an HRPIC single shot.

http://www.batmachine.com/

http://www.batmachine.com/batactions/model-hr/

·
Premium Member
102,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Main reasons I'm looking at Shilen and Stiller is they are local, and home team always gets first dibs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a 7mm Ultra mag based on a Remington 700 Sendero. I had the action trued and chamber reamed a 7mm mag barrel. It shoots very well and has been accurate. I opted to use the factory sendero trigger and it has worked well. I did use a 20 MOA base and this gun has a Leupold 8.5X24X50 Vari X III scope on it.

·
Dyslexic Lord of the Sith
3,632 Posts
I would taper the barrel to .9 to1.0 at the muzzle- maybe flute it too. Thick barrels that long are very heavy- and very front heavy. They have terrible balance.

Put a muzzle brake on it- but make sure it is easily removable with a cap to protect the threads when not in use. I like the "muscle" brake.

Get at least a 14 in. LOP- with an adjustable cheek piece. 14.5 LOP would not be too long.

TIGHT chamber- not a turn neck- but not a loose factory one either. Something that allows .003 or so neck expansion and only .003 or so shoulder blow out. Tight chambers are more accurate and the brass lasts a LOT longer. Less frequent trimming, annealing, etc.

Throat it for Berger 195 bullets. The gunsmith should know how to set everything up for you have minimum free-bore, loaded round will still fit in the magazine, etc.

I would talk to a couple reamer makers and tell them what you want to do. No doubt there are reamers available.

If you get a custom action have them put a 20MOA rail integral to the action.
This^

The part about making brass last longer is especially true.

You are going to be using your reloading press a lot now if you are getting serious.

·
Dyslexic Lord of the Sith
3,632 Posts
Timney Kalvin elite or jewel, I'd suggest Mcmillan stocks only because I've heard horror stories with manners, even though I want one.
That's funny because a local fella here went around with Mcmillian over a stock. I personally think it was a little their fault but then he boogered the piss out of it, so it is kind of hard to say where their fault ended and his began. Nevertheless they did send him another.

I only say this because I have drooled over some Mcmillians before but never had eyes on on a Manner.

·
Premium Member
102,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you consider long range? Why a 7mm?
Because a 7mm has pretty good BC, and the ultra is still supersonic out to 1900 yards.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
OH.... I have been trying to keep the cut rifle vs. button rifled barrel topic away from Carl.....LOL ! No you added something else for him to spend hours researching.

For the record IMO- both are so good that it no longer really matters. I have been a big fan of Pac-nor button rifled barrels for a very long time. Cut barrels used to take a lot longer to break in-looking down the bore end of older / cheaper made handgun or rifle and you can often see tool marks.

Staying local is a great idea. Stiller / Shilen make great products. The .300 Wby I brag about all the time was chambered by Shilen.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
OH.... I have been trying to keep the cut rifle vs. button rifled barrel topic away from Carl.....LOL ! No you added something else for him to spend hours researching.

For the record IMO- both are so good that it no longer really matters. I have been a big fan of Pac-nor button rifled barrels for a very long time. Cut barrels used to take a lot longer to break in-looking down the bore end of older / cheaper made handgun or rifle and you can often see tool marks.

Staying local is a great idea. Stiller / Shilen make great products. The .300 Wby I brag about all the time was chambered by Shilen.
:-D:-D:-D
In all seriousness,slug a button rifled barrel after its rifled and you machine the od for a can. Then slug it after you have had it fluted. Now do the same with a cut rifled barrel. I bet you won't find any disstortion on the cut rifled barrel. Button barrels have their place. But I won't use a button barrel on a serious or a custom build. Look down the bore on both barrels with a good bore scope.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Because a 7mm has pretty good BC, and the ultra is still supersonic out to 1900 yards.
7 Ultra with a 195 Berger will be super-sonic well past 2000 yards on all but the coldest days at low elevation.

If you decide to shoot the 195 Bergers the rifle will probably need an 8.5 twist-but that bullet is so good if I were building a hotrod 7mm that is the only bullet I would be considering. Otherwise you may as well build less of a hotrod and shoot 175-180 gr. bullets.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
That's funny because a local fella here went around with Mcmillian over a stock. I personally think it was a little their fault but then he boogered the piss out of it, so it is kind of hard to say where their fault ended and his began. Nevertheless they did send him another.

I only say this because I have drooled over some Mcmillians before but never had eyes on on a Manner.
They're local to me, so I can go get up their ass if I need to. Btw, I needed to. Mine was supposed to be clear carbon, not primered. Still pisses me off. They tried to make good, and would have made me another stock if I asked. It really was my gunsmiths fault for not calling and making sure of my wants and needs. I also did not like that in my Weatherby they only had 2 stock options. Manners had 0 stock options and wouldn't even try to make one.

Mcmillan makes great stuff, and they're not perfect, but a guy I shoot with waited 18 months and a threat from a lawyer before he got his stock from manners.

·
Premium Member
102,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
7 Ultra with a 195 Berger will be super-sonic well past 2000 yards on all but the coldest days at low elevation.

If you decide to shoot the 195 Bergers the rifle will probably need an 8.5 twist-but that bullet is so good if I were building a hotrod 7mm that is the only bullet I would be considering. Otherwise you may as well build less of a hotrod and shoot 175-180 gr. bullets.
Here's a test on regular 7mm not ultra using 195gr Berger:

Very interesting

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.